Squeaky Look Pedals

ibicycle

Jan 13, 2004
Dudes,
After 20 years using look pedals I'm still "looking" for that elusive look pedal squeak cure. I like them except for the noise and am not ready to switch brands. I've tried all the cures, Armorall, furniture polish, candle wax, sanding the pedals and cleats, etc. I saw a reference here that the 206 or 256 models are quiet and am attempting to nab a pair on Ebay to try. Makes sense since both models have smooth cleat to pedal interfaces vs. the machined surface on other models. Anybody have feedback on other cures or experience with the 206 or 256 models?
Squeaky in Austin, Dave

Originally posted by ibicycle
Dudes,
After 20 years using look pedals I'm still "looking" for that elusive look pedal squeak cure. I like them except for the noise and am not ready to switch brands. I've tried all the cures, Armorall, furniture polish, candle wax, sanding the pedals and cleats, etc. I saw a reference here that the 206 or 256 models are quiet and am attempting to nab a pair on Ebay to try. Makes sense since both models have smooth cleat to pedal interfaces vs. the machined surface on other models. Anybody have feedback on other cures or experience with the 206 or 256 models?
Squeaky in Austin, Dave

No, but I've had similar problems with 357s. I have the mega-expensive carbon/ti CX286 now, and they don't squeak. BUT, that doesn't mean they won't. Funny thing is I gave th old 357s to my dad, and they didn't squeak when used them. What's that tell you? It's the CLEAT. Try replacing them. Mine when hugely noisy once I had to walk after getting a flat. Duh.

Dudes,
I'm Dave the original poster. I'm currently using a new, 500 miles, pair of Look 3.1 with new cleats. They were quiet for about 200 miles then the dreaded squeak!!!
Later, Dave

Dudes,
Been there, done that also. That eliminates that squeak but the buildup between the pedal and the cleat, you know those black areas at the edge of the pedals and the cleats, still squeak. As in my original post has anyone had luck with the 206 or 256 models?
Later, Dave

Just a slightly off the subject question here. I use the red arc cleans now and they squeak every time my foot twists just a little (3500 miles before they started). But since I rarely take advantage of the float, I was considering picking up a pair of black cleats, which would also hopefully fix the squeak. Any thoughts on this, or experience switching to the black (no float) cleats?

Dudes,
Squeaky in Austin, Dave

Try wrapping some black electricians tape around the pedal.

THANKS A LOT. You have jinxed me. My carbon versions started quietly squeaking yesterday. Nice.

Originally posted by bigfloppyllama
Just a slightly off the subject question here. I use the red arc cleans now and they squeak every time my foot twists just a little (3500 miles before they started). But since I rarely take advantage of the float, I was considering picking up a pair of black cleats, which would also hopefully fix the squeak. Any thoughts on this, or experience switching to the black (no float) cleats?
I've only ever used the black cleats, and have never had a squeaking problem.

I hear this all the time, but you know what? I've never had one squeak yet!! Over 10 years of Look and nary a peep out of em. Now I've heard the guys around me squeaking like crazy.

I heard once to use a bar of soap? I've heard it sworn to work, but makes no sense to me...what if it rains???

Anyway, thought I'd attempt to jinx myself and pass on the on remedy i've heard.

C-

Originally posted by ccorrick
I hear this all the time, but you know what? I've never had one squeak yet!! Over 10 years of Look and nary a peep out of em. Now I've heard the guys around me squeaking like crazy.

I heard once to use a bar of soap? I've heard it sworn to work, but makes no sense to me...what if it rains???

Anyway, thought I'd attempt to jinx myself and pass on the on remedy i've heard.

C-

You're bound to be screwed for sure now.

Soap might work. Supposedly a parafin-based lube works, like White Lightning. But I doubt it holds for long.

Dudes,
I'm the originator of this thread and as I initially asked, has anyone had experience with Look 206 or 256 pedals. They have a smooth surface as opposed to the machined surface of most other models. And I thought maybe they would be quiet.
Later, Dave

Dudes,
I'm the originator of this thread and as I initially asked, has anyone had experience with Look 206 or 256 pedals. They have a smooth surface as opposed to the machined surface of most other models. And I thought maybe they would be quiet.
Later, Dave

It doesn't matter. The ones with the machined surface still squeak too.

The back of a Look pedal rubs against the bottom of some shoes (in my case Vittorias). To fix this you buy Look cleat adapters for about $10.

BaCardi said:
It doesn't matter. The ones with the machined surface still squeak too.

My 206's never squeaked. My A31's are getting unbearable. I have tried the new cleat thing and it lasts less then 1000 miles. I believe the difference is due to the depth and height of the spring loaded binding at the back of the pedal. There is visible wear there from a screw on my sidi shoe rubbing, there is no wear on the 206's which were ridden with the same shoe. The look adapter fix may work but will increase the stack height and I am not thrilled about that.

errrrrr.......I am a new user to Look pedals (396's).....now I am nervously awaiting the dreaded squeak....has anyone asked Look about it?

squeek squeek squeek sounds like an NBA game

I have been riding Looks for 5 years now switched because of squeaky SPD's HA!!

I have seen this problem posted on every cycling forum I have ever been on.

I have the 256 Carbon pedals which are supposed to be the biggest offenders of the squeak. This issue is the cleat ( i ride with red ones need the float)

Every body goes to the back and bottom of the cleat (me to for a while) but the squeak usually comes from the front of the cleat just clean the front lip of your cleat and where it touches on the pedal itself and like magic no squeak.

Amour All Pledge and all the others attract dirt in the long run and make the problem worse, soap and water is were it is at. parafin wax on the front of the pedal if it makes you feel better but definately no lubricants especially the bane of mechanics everywhere the dreaded WD40.(never never never never never use WD 40 )

no foolin

Big Daddy said:
squeek squeek squeek sounds like an NBA game

I have been riding Looks for 5 years now switched because of squeaky SPD's HA!!

I have seen this problem posted on every cycling forum I have ever been on.

I have the 256 Carbon pedals which are supposed to be the biggest offenders of the squeak. This issue is the cleat ( i ride with red ones need the float)

Every body goes to the back and bottom of the cleat (me to for a while) but the squeak usually comes from the front of the cleat just clean the front lip of your cleat and where it touches on the pedal itself and like magic no squeak.

Amour All Pledge and all the others attract dirt in the long run and make the problem worse, soap and water is were it is at. parafin wax on the front of the pedal if it makes you feel better but definately no lubricants especially the bane of mechanics everywhere the dreaded WD40.(never never never never never use WD 40 )

no foolin

I just had a squeak free ride with one of my Look A31's (I did get two flats though). I removed the rear screw that holds the look 3 hole plate on my sidis. The screw head stuck out a couple of milimeters beyond the sole of my shoes and came into direct contact with the top of the back of the pedal. The cleat and plate held fast and did not wiggle without the screw for twenty miles. The shoe with the screw still in place was as loud or louder then ever, the shoe without the contact point on the rear of the pedal was quiet.

I did this experiment because it seemed like a shame to switch back to my cheaper heavier more friction impared look 206's that never squeaked. I am going to try to find replacement screws that has a slim counter sunk head and I believe that I will have it all sorted out.

I will add the variable of a frontal cleaning to my experiment list, though at this point I am somewhat convinced that my squeak is a rear pedal binding squeak not a front cleat squeak. Though it is entirely possible that a decrease in pressure from my rear shoe adjustment eliminated the frontal squeak.

Possibly we could record our squeaks for comparison or in the least attempt to describe them.

PS. This is my fourth pair of Look pedals in the last 18 years and the first to make any noise.