Squeaky Shimano SPD-SL Pedals

Jeanne & Bernard

Guest
For the start of the season I installed new Shimano PD-7800 (Dura-Ace)
pedals and mounted the cleats onto new RA80 shoes. From nearly the
first pedal stroke the right pedal/cleat began to squeak. 200 kms later
it's the same thing, despite careful cleaning between each ride. I know
my right foot/leg is more prone to movement during the pedal stroke.
Nevertheless, after several years of Look pedals and their squeaking,
I'd hoped the SPD-SL system would be an improvement in that department.

Any hope??? Thanks.

Bernard

Jeanne & Bernard wrote:

> For the start of the season I installed new Shimano PD-7800 (Dura-Ace)
> pedals and mounted the cleats onto new RA80 shoes. From nearly the
> first pedal stroke the right pedal/cleat began to squeak. 200 kms later
> it's the same thing, despite careful cleaning between each ride. I know
> my right foot/leg is more prone to movement during the pedal stroke.
> Nevertheless, after several years of Look pedals and their squeaking,
> I'd hoped the SPD-SL system would be an improvement in that department.
>
> Any hope??? Thanks.

Bee's wax seems to help with Looks. Try it on the Shimanos.

Mark

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:27:16 -0400, Jeanne & Bernard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>For the start of the season I installed new Shimano PD-7800 (Dura-Ace)
>pedals and mounted the cleats onto new RA80 shoes. From nearly the
>first pedal stroke the right pedal/cleat began to squeak. 200 kms later
>it's the same thing, despite careful cleaning between each ride. I know
>my right foot/leg is more prone to movement during the pedal stroke.
>Nevertheless, after several years of Look pedals and their squeaking,
>I'd hoped the SPD-SL system would be an improvement in that department.
>
>Any hope??? Thanks.
>
>Bernard

I've had my Ultegra version of that pedal for about three years. I've
never had a squeek. I had heard about the Look pedals having a problem
and not liking noise of any sort, went with the SPD-SL.

Are you using the cleats with float[yellow]? If not, try a set of
those. The other thing would be to quit the careful cleaning, after
each ride. Unless you are getting them muddy, just leave them alone. I
clean off mine when I clean the rest of the bike, mostly as needed.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Jeanne & Bernard wrote:
> For the start of the season I installed new Shimano PD-7800 (Dura-Ace)
> pedals and mounted the cleats onto new RA80 shoes. From nearly the
> first pedal stroke the right pedal/cleat began to squeak. 200 kms
> later it's the same thing, despite careful cleaning between each
> ride. I know my right foot/leg is more prone to movement during the
> pedal stroke. Nevertheless, after several years of Look pedals and
> their squeaking, I'd hoped the SPD-SL system would be an improvement
> in that department.
> Any hope??? Thanks.

Got Tri-flow?

Jeanne & Bernard wrote:
> For the start of the season I installed new Shimano PD-7800 (Dura-Ace)
> pedals and mounted the cleats onto new RA80 shoes. From nearly the
> first pedal stroke the right pedal/cleat began to squeak. 200 kms later
> it's the same thing, despite careful cleaning between each ride. I know
> my right foot/leg is more prone to movement during the pedal stroke.
> Nevertheless, after several years of Look pedals and their squeaking,
> I'd hoped the SPD-SL system would be an improvement in that department.
>
> Any hope??? Thanks.
>
> Bernard

Spray some Armor-All or Pledge onto the cleat before ridng and walk
carewfully-they get slippery. Look style pedaL creaking is common..

Jeanne & Bernard wrote:
> For the start of the season I installed new Shimano PD-7800 (Dura-Ace)
> pedals and mounted the cleats onto new RA80 shoes. From nearly the
> first pedal stroke the right pedal/cleat began to squeak. 200 kms later
> it's the same thing, despite careful cleaning between each ride. I know
> my right foot/leg is more prone to movement during the pedal stroke.
> Nevertheless, after several years of Look pedals and their squeaking,
> I'd hoped the SPD-SL system would be an improvement in that department.
>
> Any hope??? Thanks.
>
> Bernard

It may be the cleat against the sole, and not against the pedal that is
squeaking. Make sure the bolts are tight. I used to have that problem
with my Looks. I ended up making a gasket out of a cut up dishwashing
glove that solved the problem for good. I use SPD-SL now and haven't
had any problems, but I'd assume a loose cleat to sole interface if any
sqeaks developed on my set.

Joseph

Jeanne & Bernard wrote:

> For the start of the season I installed new Shimano PD-7800 (Dura-Ace)
> pedals and mounted the cleats onto new RA80 shoes. From nearly the
> first pedal stroke the right pedal/cleat began to squeak. 200 kms later
> it's the same thing, despite careful cleaning between each ride. I know
> my right foot/leg is more prone to movement during the pedal stroke.
> Nevertheless, after several years of Look pedals and their squeaking,
> I'd hoped the SPD-SL system would be an improvement in that department.

Spray them with GT85. My old Time Equipe Titan Magnesium (what a stupid
name) also creak if not occasionally lubed.

In article <443eb78b.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable (hrothgar19
@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Jeanne & Bernard wrote:
>
> > For the start of the season I installed new Shimano PD-7800 (Dura-Ace)
> > pedals and mounted the cleats onto new RA80 shoes. From nearly the
> > first pedal stroke the right pedal/cleat began to squeak. 200 kms later
> > it's the same thing, despite careful cleaning between each ride. I know
> > my right foot/leg is more prone to movement during the pedal stroke.
> > Nevertheless, after several years of Look pedals and their squeaking,
> > I'd hoped the SPD-SL system would be an improvement in that department.

> Spray them with GT85. My old Time Equipe Titan Magnesium (what a stupid
> name) also creak if not occasionally lubed.

Guess who squeak forgot to squeak lube his new squeak shoes on squeak
Saturday...

At least it stopped when the rain started.

uck Wa

Jeanne & Bernard wrote:
> For the start of the season I installed new Shimano PD-7800 (Dura-Ace)
> pedals and mounted the cleats onto new RA80 shoes. From nearly the
> first pedal stroke the right pedal/cleat began to squeak. 200 kms later
> it's the same thing, despite careful cleaning between each ride. I know
> my right foot/leg is more prone to movement during the pedal stroke.
> Nevertheless, after several years of Look pedals and their squeaking,
> I'd hoped the SPD-SL system would be an improvement in that department.
>
> Any hope??? Thanks.
>
> Bernard

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I finally resolved(?) the
problem by switching shoes. My older Shimano R120 shoes have a stiffer
sole and the SPD-SL cleats don't squeak. My theory is that the added
flex of the RA80's caused the cleats to slightly twist in the pedal. FWIW.
Thanks again. Bernard