Squealing Avid brakes

mark

Guest
Like the subject line says, the front Avid Shorty 6's on my tourer squeal
like a pig when I try to stop. Oddly, the rear brakes don't squeal at all.
I've toed in the pads, sanded the pads, sanded the rims, cleaned the pads w/
isopropyl alcohol, tightened all the bolts, replaced the pads w/ different
brand. None of this helps.

Barring any solution to the problem, can anyone recommend a cantilever brake
that is reasonably easy to set up and doesn't squeal quite so badly?
--
mark

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Like the subject line says, the front Avid Shorty 6's on my tourer squeal
>like a pig when I try to stop. Oddly, the rear brakes don't squeal at all.
>I've toed in the pads, sanded the pads, sanded the rims, cleaned the pads w/
>isopropyl alcohol, tightened all the bolts, replaced the pads w/ different
>brand. None of this helps.
>
>Barring any solution to the problem, can anyone recommend a cantilever brake
>that is reasonably easy to set up and doesn't squeal quite so badly?

Though you say you've tried using a different brand of pads, you don't
specifically say whether you've tried the Koolstops.

I would . . . if you haven't.

Neil Brooks wrote:
> "mark" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Like the subject line says, the front Avid Shorty 6's on my tourer squeal
>>like a pig when I try to stop. Oddly, the rear brakes don't squeal at all.
>>I've toed in the pads, sanded the pads, sanded the rims, cleaned the pads w/
>>isopropyl alcohol, tightened all the bolts, replaced the pads w/ different
>>brand. None of this helps.
>>
>>Barring any solution to the problem, can anyone recommend a cantilever brake
>>that is reasonably easy to set up and doesn't squeal quite so badly?

> Though you say you've tried using a different brand of pads, you don't
> specifically say whether you've tried the Koolstops.
>
> I would . . . if you haven't.

Koolstops can squeal, too. I think it was Jobst who suggested riding
through a mud puddle, then applying brakes. It's been two weeks since I
changed out my rear wheel, though, and it hasn't rained on me since
then. Wonder what I should do in that case?

Still, it works as well as a bike bell...

;)

Pat

Pat Lamb wrote:
> Koolstops can squeal, too.

There is no "can" to it. Koolstop salmon pads DO SQUEAL. Another post
mentioned Avid brakes as being notorious for squealing. If this is
true, then adding Koolstop salmon pads to them would make them a
masochistic instrument. And a sadistic instrument if you ride with
others.

[email protected] wrote:

>Pat Lamb wrote:
>> Koolstops can squeal, too.

>There is no "can" to it. Koolstop salmon pads DO SQUEAL. Another post
>mentioned Avid brakes as being notorious for squealing. If this is
>true, then adding Koolstop salmon pads to them would make them a
>masochistic instrument. And a sadistic instrument if you ride with
>others.

I have Avid 6's on my tourer. In my case, Koolstops /did/ fix the
squeal. YMMV....

mark wrote:
> Like the subject line says, the front Avid Shorty 6's on my tourer squeal
> like a pig when I try to stop. Oddly, the rear brakes don't squeal at all.
> I've toed in the pads, sanded the pads, sanded the rims, cleaned the pads w/
> isopropyl alcohol, tightened all the bolts, replaced the pads w/ different
> brand. None of this helps.
>
> Barring any solution to the problem, can anyone recommend a cantilever brake
> that is reasonably easy to set up and doesn't squeal quite so badly?

I will sell you a pair of dia compe 986 cantilever brakes if it will
help you. They are really good brakes. Do use Koolstop Salmon with them.
Rob

<[email protected]> wrote:
> There is no "can" to it. Koolstop salmon pads DO SQUEAL.

No. They can. I was out riding today with my KS Continentals -- Not a peep!

When I first put Continentals on my wife's bike they sure did squeal. But
after sanding the pads and rims a bit, they have been quiet.

Brake squeal can be caused by a variety of things, the pad material being
only one.

Art Harris

Arthur Harris wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> There is no "can" to it. Koolstop salmon pads DO SQUEAL.

> No. They can. I was out riding today with my KS Continentals -- Not a
> peep!
> When I first put Continentals on my wife's bike they sure did squeal.
> But after sanding the pads and rims a bit, they have been quiet.
>
> Brake squeal can be caused by a variety of things, the pad material
> being only one.
>
> Art Harris

I think it's the resonant frequency between the brass pivot and the steel
sleeve. That's why it does it on some and not others. High-five!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

mark wrote:
> Like the subject line says, the front Avid Shorty 6's on my tourer squeal
> like a pig when I try to stop. Oddly, the rear brakes don't squeal at all.
> I've toed in the pads, sanded the pads, sanded the rims, cleaned the pads w/
> isopropyl alcohol, tightened all the bolts, replaced the pads w/ different
> brand. None of this helps.
>
> Barring any solution to the problem, can anyone recommend a cantilever brake
> that is reasonably easy to set up and doesn't squeal quite so badly?
> --
> mark

Tektro..we just sent 2 sets of Avid shorty 4s and 6s back to sram since
NOTHING could be done to keep them quiet. They admit that some fork/rim
combos make for loud brakes...seems like any combo for us did..steel,
aluminum, carbon forks.

Thanks to all who answered. Sounds like I'll be looking into new brakes, I
don't want to be stuck having to use one brand of pads or wear earplugs when
I ride.
--
mark

Neil Brooks wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>

>>Pat Lamb wrote:
>>
>>>Koolstops can squeal, too.

>>There is no "can" to it. Koolstop salmon pads DO SQUEAL. Another post
>>mentioned Avid brakes as being notorious for squealing. If this is
>>true, then adding Koolstop salmon pads to them would make them a
>>masochistic instrument. And a sadistic instrument if you ride with
>>others.

> I have Avid 6's on my tourer. In my case, Koolstops /did/ fix the
> squeal. YMMV....

fixed mine, too