Squealing brakes

curt

Guest
I did a search for this and found some info, but maybe need some more
opinions. I have Scott Superbrakes on my Road Bike with Campy brakes. They
have been toed-in along time ago, but squeal like mad. They are pretty old
pads and had a very smooth surface and squealed, but I was told to scuff
them down with some sand paper to make them soft again. Well, they are much
softer but squeal much worse than before. I have the brakes set as close to
the tire as possible to get the most coverage.

Any tricks to getting rid of the squeal? Should I get new pads? If so, any
suggestions? I have a ride on Sunday and really hope to get this resolved.

Thanks,
Curt

Curt wrote:
> Any tricks to getting rid of the squeal? Should I get new pads? If
> so, any suggestions? I have a ride on Sunday and really hope to get
> this resolved.
> Thanks, Curt

I'm sure no expert, but--having had a similar issue--gathered some of
the following along the way....

-are the brake arms properly torqued to the (properly greased) braze-ons

-start with good compound pads (Sheldon Brown has good info, and seems
partial to: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html )

-adjust, adjust, and re-adjust the brakes

-clean the rims with a scotch-brite pad (or equivalent) and isopropyl
alcohol or acetone

-using ~200 grit sandpaper and a truing stand (or some other method to
ensure consistent application of sandpaper-to-rim-surface contact
pressure -- some tape the paper to their brake pads then squeeze....),
run the sandpaper lightly around the rims. Ensures a clean surface

-clean with alcohol/acetone and scotch-brite pad again

Good luck!

--

Curt wrote:
> Any tricks to getting rid of the squeal? Should I get new pads? If
> so, any suggestions? I have a ride on Sunday and really hope to get
> this resolved.
> Thanks, Curt

I'm sure no expert, but--having had a similar issue--gathered some of
the following along the way....

-are the brake arms properly torqued to the (properly greased) braze-ons

-start with good compound pads (Sheldon Brown has good info, and seems
partial to: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html )

-adjust, adjust, and re-adjust the brakes

-clean the rims with a scotch-brite pad (or equivalent) and isopropyl
alcohol or acetone

-using ~200 grit sandpaper and a truing stand (or some other method to
ensure consistent application of sandpaper-to-rim-surface contact
pressure -- some tape the paper to their brake pads then squeeze....),
run the sandpaper lightly around the rims. Ensures a clean surface

-clean with alcohol/acetone and scotch-brite pad again

Good luck!

--

Thanks Neil.

I got them quiet now. I readjusted them and toed them more and they are
great. I was hoping not to have to buy new pads right now. I need a new
helmet and am trying not to spend much.

Thanks again,
Curt

news:[email protected]...

neil0502 wrote:

> -using ~200 grit sandpaper and a truing stand (or some other method to
> ensure consistent application of sandpaper-to-rim-surface contact
> pressure -- some tape the paper to their brake pads then squeeze....),
> run the sandpaper lightly around the rims. Ensures a clean surface
>
> -clean with alcohol/acetone and scotch-brite pad again

Inspect the pad(s) for embedded grit/metal/whatever.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.