Squealing brakes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by crees22, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. crees22

    crees22 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2003
    Allo,

    Could someone plz offer me advice on how to get rid of squeaking brakes, I havent got discs just the original brake blocks on the rims. Its driving me crazy and im sure my neighbours around my local area feel the same. Is it a case of just given them a good clean (the rims) or is there something that can be bought to put on them?

    Cheers... Mr Chris

    Tags:

  2. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:57:33 +1000, crees22
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Allo,
    >
    >Could someone plz offer me advice on how to get rid of squeaking
    >brakes, I havent got discs just the original brake blocks on the rims.
    >Its driving me crazy and im sure my neighbours around my local area
    >feel the same. Is it a case of just given them a good clean (the rims)
    >or is there something that can be bought to put on them?

    Are the pads "toed in"? The front end of the pad should touch the rim
    before the back end. Most brakes have a conical washer or other
    adjustment on the brake pad to allow this. Put a piece of card under
    the back edge of the block, loosen the fixing nut, adjust and
    retighten. The bit of card (cornflake packet etc) will put the
    required amount of toe in, if you see what I mean. Cleaning the rims
    is also good.

    Tim