Squealing brakes

crees22

New Member
Dec 15, 2003
Allo,

Could someone plz offer me advice on how to get rid of squeaking brakes, I havent got discs just the original brake blocks on the rims. Its driving me crazy and im sure my neighbours around my local area feel the same. Is it a case of just given them a good clean (the rims) or is there something that can be bought to put on them?

Cheers... Mr Chris

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:57:33 +1000, crees22
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Allo,
>
>Could someone plz offer me advice on how to get rid of squeaking
>brakes, I havent got discs just the original brake blocks on the rims.
>Its driving me crazy and im sure my neighbours around my local area
>feel the same. Is it a case of just given them a good clean (the rims)
>or is there something that can be bought to put on them?

Are the pads "toed in"? The front end of the pad should touch the rim
before the back end. Most brakes have a conical washer or other
adjustment on the brake pad to allow this. Put a piece of card under
the back edge of the block, loosen the fixing nut, adjust and
retighten. The bit of card (cornflake packet etc) will put the
required amount of toe in, if you see what I mean. Cleaning the rims
is also good.

Tim