Squealing brakes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Hi there,

    Wondered if anyone could advise me why my rear brake squeals like mad when applied? Im using a
    "normal" cantilever brake system.

    My front brake is fine, my rear one sounds like its got a cat caught in the spokes!!!

    Is there a solution or shall I carry on using my rear brake like a horn to alert pedestrians ;-)

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. >Wondered if anyone could advise me why my rear brake squeals like mad when applied? Im using a
    >"normal" cantilever brake system.

    My brakes squeal too and I've got new rims!

    Cheers, helen s

    fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**[email protected]$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$ do not post my correct 1 on
    *any* public forum - thanks

  3. Andy Hibbins

    Andy Hibbins Guest

    Lee wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Wondered if anyone could advise me why my rear brake squeals like mad when applied? Im using a
    > "normal" cantilever brake system.
    >
    > My front brake is fine, my rear one sounds like its got a cat caught in the spokes!!!
    >
    > Is there a solution or shall I carry on using my rear brake like a horn to alert pedestrians ;-)

    Have you tried "toeing" in the front of the rear brake pads? i.e. when the front of the brake pads
    are touching the rim there should be a gap of 1-2 mm at the back of the rear brake pads.

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>
    :>Wondered if anyone could advise me why my rear brake squeals like mad when applied? Im using a
    :>"normal" cantilever brake system.

    : My brakes squeal too and I've got new rims!

    Common solutions:

    1) Toe-in the brakes. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html

    2) If 1) doesn't work, trying lightly sanding the brake blocks to remove any hard layer/git/oil etc
    that may have built up.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  5. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:
    > If 1) doesn't work, trying lightly sanding the brake blocks to remove any hard layer/git/oil etc
    > that may have built up.

    At the same time clean the rims with acetone or similar.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  6. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Lee must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Wondered if anyone could advise me why my rear brake squeals like mad when applied? Im using a
    > "normal" cantilever brake system.
    >
    > My front brake is fine, my rear one sounds like its got a cat caught in the spokes!!!
    >
    > Is there a solution or shall I carry on using my rear brake like a horn to alert pedestrians ;-)
    >
    > Lee

    Try cleaning your rims.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  7. Swap front blocks with rear blocks.

    Worked for me, little fiddling, zero expenditure.

  8. Arthur Clune wrote:

    > 2) If 1) doesn't work, trying lightly sanding the brake blocks to remove any hard layer/git/oil
    > etc that may have built up.

    I /know/ it's just a typo, but the thought of having a build-up of "git" on one's wheel rims has
    filled me with unexpected joy!

    SO: What are you doing? Cyclist: Cleaning a build-up of git off my rims. SO: Did you run over David
    Blaine, then?

    (dies)

    FWIW my rear brake - a Hope Mini disc - can be made to howl like a pack of wolves with attitude if
    the lever is correctly applied. I rather like this.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:

    > 2) If 1) doesn't work, trying lightly sanding the brake blocks to remove any hard layer/git/oil
    > etc that may have built up.

    Yes those gits really do squeal if you get them on the brake blocks ;-)

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

  10. Chris Fryer

    Chris Fryer Guest

    place a zip tie or credit card between the rear of the block and the rim when you tighten up the
    pads, to ensure the gap stays. take it out when you're done, or your brakes will definitely make
    funny noises!

    --
    -- Chris

    "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BBBAC8F7.14B95%[email protected]...
    > Lee must be edykated coz e writed:
    >
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > Wondered if anyone could advise me why my rear brake squeals like mad
    when
    > > applied? Im using a "normal" cantilever brake system.
    > >
    > > My front brake is fine, my rear one sounds like its got a cat caught in
    the
    > > spokes!!!
    > >
    > > Is there a solution or shall I carry on using my rear brake like a horn
    > > alert pedestrians ;-)
    > >
    > > Lee
    > >

    > Try cleaning your rims.
    >
    > --
    > Ian
    >
    > http://www.catrike.co.uk

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Sandy Morton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > At the same time clean the rims with acetone or similar.

    Good advice. Surgical Spirit is a great all-purpose bike cleaner, and brake cleaner (from car parts
    shops) is useful for blasting round things where you don't want to leave an oily residue.

    (Note to self: email Tony Blair and George Bush about the benefits of brake cleaner for cleaning up
    oily residues....)

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Good advice. Surgical Spirit is a great all-purpose bike cleaner, and
    brake
    > cleaner (from car parts shops) is useful for blasting round things where
    you
    > don't want to leave an oily residue.
    >
    > (Note to self: email Tony Blair and George Bush about the benefits of
    brake
    > cleaner for cleaning up oily residues....)

    Does it clean off the gits as well as their oily residues?

  13. Chris Fryer wrote:

    > place a zip tie or credit card between the rear of the block and the rim when you tighten up the
    > pads, to ensure the gap stays. take it out when you're done, or your brakes will definitely make
    > funny noises!

    If you haven't got 4 hands, a thickish rubber band round the rear of the block is better - it stays
    on by itself.

    Colin McKenzie