Squealing brakes

Curt

Guest
I did a search for this and found some info, but maybe need
some more opinions. I have Scott Superbrakes on my Road Bike
with Campy brakes. They have been toed-in along time ago,
but squeal like mad. They are pretty old pads and had a very
smooth surface and squealed, but I was told to scuff them
down with some sand paper to make them soft again. Well,
they are much softer but squeal much worse than before. I
have the brakes set as close to the tire as possible to get
the most coverage.

Any tricks to getting rid of the squeal? Should I get new
pads? If so, any suggestions? I have a ride on Sunday and
really hope to get this resolved.

Thanks, Curt

Thanks Neil.

I got them quiet now. I readjusted them and toed them more
and they are great. I was hoping not to have to buy new
pads right now. I need a new helmet and am trying not to
spend much.

Thanks again, Curt

news:[email protected]...

neil0502 wrote:

> -using ~200 grit sandpaper and a truing stand (or some
> other method to ensure consistent application of sandpaper-to-rim-
> surface contact pressure -- some tape the paper to their
> brake pads then squeeze....), run the sandpaper lightly
> around the rims. Ensures a clean surface
>
> -clean with alcohol/acetone and scotch-brite pad again

Inspect the pad(s) for embedded grit/metal/whatever.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your