Squealing pigs

Andrew Price

Guest
Replaced some very worn rims with Mavic Open Pros - nice rim, but maybe a
bad choice to get dark grey rims that look anodised over whole exterior
including the braking surface

Under hard breaking both rims but esp the back squeal like the proverbial -
also am tending to go into the roundabout a bit deeper than I would have
liked so I suspect they are not quite as effective as other wheels I have
had (Campy Atlanta 96 - loved but all worn).

Both I and the LBS have fiddled with the toe in heaps and can get the effect
to lessen for a few days but its always back (always in the back,
occasionally in the front)

Last thing I tried was emery paper on the braking surface but that expended
elbow grease to no net benefit.

Have looked at the faq on the subject at
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8c.2.html

but while it bags anodised rims does not mention squealing/brake performance
as issues.

Anyone had this problem, and found a cure? - like the rims, hate the noise

best, Andrew (remove the .x1 to reply)

Andrew Price said:
[...]

I used to have the problem with my bike until I changed the brake blocks seems to have fixed the problem. When I approached pedestrians from behind they would turn around to see what was happening. Better than using the bell.
Bkay

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 at 08:37 GMT, bkay (aka Bruce)

> Andrew Price Wrote:
>> best, Andrew (remove the .x1 to reply)

> I used to have the problem with my bike until I changed the brake
> blocks seems to have fixed the problem. When I approached pedestrians
> from behind they would turn around to see what was happening. Better
> than using the bell.

Back to the incesent complainer pedestrian thread:

It was wet, and I was coming up behind a ped on a shared bike track,
down a hill. I put on my brakes; they squealed. He didn't move left. I
put on the brakes harder. He started yelling at me. "urgh, what do you
want, loser", in the bogon accent so typical of people around my
neighbourhood. Of course, once I passed him, I still had the brakes
on, and they were still squealing, so I wonder if it became apparent
to the luser that I wasn't necessarily making noise to try to get him
out of the way (although it would have been a nice side-effect).

Oh, and thanks to the bint who saw me this morning, after putting her
nose out into the road. And then took off just before I moved into the
second lane so I could pass her front. Didn't even notice my ranting
and raving.

Bus error -- driver executed.

Andrew Price said:
[...]

i used to spray heaps of wd-40 on the rim surface and then ride around (obviously somewhere where you dont have to brake suddenly) and while that will squeal like a bratwurst initially, it usually fixes your problem.

byron27 said:
i used to spray heaps of wd-40 on the rim surface and then ride around (obviously somewhere where you dont have to brake suddenly) and while that will squeal like a bratwurst initially, it usually fixes your problem.
Que? Lube the braking surface? Oblivious to the fact that brake blocks are porous, and will absorb lube, which will remain there until you squeeze them really hard in desperate need, when it will squeeze out and make your stopping distance something close to ludicrous?

Clean your rims with PROPER solvent (Citroclean, meths, etc.), file/sand your blocks parallel to the rim, or replace them with a softer compound (usu. colour coded). Then you'll stop. If you don't, buy some decent calipers/levers.

M "dual-pivot" H

"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Replaced some very worn rims with Mavic Open Pros - nice rim, but maybe a
> bad choice to get dark grey rims that look anodised over whole exterior
> including the braking surface

The Mavic Open Pro normal rim does not have an anodised brake surface.
AFAIK they are anodised and then machined so the brake surface is perfectly
smooth, no join lumps etc and definately not anodised - they provide braking
as well as you can really get, provided you've got proper good quality brake
blocks.
The Mavic Open Pro also comes in a 'ceramic' version that has a special
treatment on the brake surface that may get confused with anodisation. I
believe you can buy special brake pads to use with ceramic rims. However I
doubt you've got a pair of these cause they're bloody expensive, and they
say ceramic on one of the many stickers the rim has.
There is an older model rim called the Mavic Open 4 CD from around 10 years
ago, that was anodised all over in a dark grey/brownie colour - sure that's
not what you've got?

Gemma

"Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Replaced some very worn rims with Mavic Open Pros - nice rim, but maybe

> > bad choice to get dark grey rims that look anodised over whole exterior
> > including the braking surface
> >

> The Mavic Open Pro normal rim does not have an anodised brake surface.
> AFAIK they are anodised and then machined so the brake surface is

perfectly
> smooth, no join lumps etc and definately not anodised - they provide

braking
> as well as you can really get, provided you've got proper good quality

brake
> blocks.
> The Mavic Open Pro also comes in a 'ceramic' version that has a special
> treatment on the brake surface that may get confused with anodisation. I
> believe you can buy special brake pads to use with ceramic rims. However

> doubt you've got a pair of these cause they're bloody expensive, and they
> say ceramic on one of the many stickers the rim has.
> There is an older model rim called the Mavic Open 4 CD from around 10

years
> ago, that was anodised all over in a dark grey/brownie colour - sure

that's
> not what you've got?
>
> Gemma

Afriend of mine dropped around earlier today with a pair of brand new
Ceramic Mavic rims. They're increasingly difficult to get hold of, but he
ended up finding some at Nashbar, USA. He likes them for touring in the
mountains in Switzerland.

Marty