Squeek On New Bike

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
Just took delivery of a new old stock 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro, just took it for a bit and noticed that there is a squeek coming from somewhere in the drivetrain while pedaling. Where do you start to look for this and is it weird to have it on a brand new bike?

I have had several of my bikes develop minor issues after riding them say around a hundred miles - just things that required minor adjustments which the shop should do for you at no charge. Even if it is major and requires replacement of components they should still do it under warranty.

Quote by jwr:
"Where do you start to look for this and is it weird to have it on a brand new bike?"

The dealership.

Or the Zertz! J/K

It could be the pedals are not threaded tightly enough into the crank arms or greased threads in the crank arms. Remove, lubricate and re-install to torque spec.
It could be the crank arms at the spindle. Remove, lubricate, re-torque. Check for end play.
It could be the bottom bracket, itself. Some of the newer PF types are prone to the bearings generating noise in the BB shell.
It could be the stem/handlebar joint creaking to your pedal stroke. Remove, use a light film of silicone grease and re-install to torque spec.
It could be the brake/shifter mounting bands sqeaking on the bars. Check torque of mounting bolts.
It could be loose chainring bolts. Remove, grease and install to torque spec.
It could be the saddle rails creaking to your pedal stroke in the seatpost clamp or where they enter the saddle. Re-torque saddle clamp and flow light oil into rail/saddle interfaces.
It could be your shoes or cleats squeaking. Check torque and lubricate bolt plate. Install skateboard grip tape between cleats and shoe soles.

Those are a few areas to look. There are others, of course. Some of the above are specific to the drive train. Some 'sound' like they are timed to the drive train via the pedal stroke.

Noises are sometime easy to track and eliminate. More often than not a couple-three attempts are required to find the root cause. Noises are best diagnosed with a friend pedaling the bike while you walk along side and listen for where the noise is coming from.

jwroubaix said:
Just took delivery of a new old stock 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro, just took it for a bit and noticed that there is a squeek coming from somewhere in the drivetrain while pedaling. Where do you start to look for this and is it weird to have it on a brand new bike?
EITHER have the shop you bought the bike from work on it ...

AND/OR realize that if you are going to take the time to trouble shoot the bike that you probably should have cobbled it together yourself with the specific frame & components on your wish list rather than the process you are apparently undertaking of swapping out this-or-that after-the-fact ...

BTW. If I had to guess, I would presume the squeaking is coming from one-or-both of the BB's press fit bearing cartridges ...

BUT, as CAMPYBOB has enumerated, it really (and, I mean really) could be anything!

It could be the brake/shifter mounting bands sqeaking on the bars. Check torque of mounting bolts.
That's the first one my mind went to. Maybe it's because I've had the biggest & most consistent issue with the bands but he's right it could be so many things you might as well make a check list.

It's starting to seem like I'm having to go Captain Insano with the motor oil on new bikes lately. Finding bikes that are factory lubricated is getting rarer and rarer.

However, since you noticed it pretty much on the way from the dealer, the Specialized warranty should cover repairs.