squeeky brakes

pb4ergr

Sep 9, 2005
Hello. I'm middle aged, my wife and I just reciently took up biking for fitness and recreation. The bikes we chose are well suited to our needs. I have one problem that I can't seem to get resolved. Does anybody know how to get rid of squeeky brakes.

pb4ergr said:
Hello. I'm middle aged, my wife and I just reciently took up biking for fitness and recreation. The bikes we chose are well suited to our needs. I have one problem that I can't seem to get resolved. Does anybody know how to get rid of squeeky brakes.
You didn't say what type of brake you have, but the Park repair website has good advice for basic repairs/adjustments on all common types of bicycle brakes.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/byregion.asp?catid=14&imageField2.x=26&imageField2.y=9

If the bikes you have were recently purchased from a shop, they should provide some follow-up maintenance free of charge as adjustments of the brakes/shifting are routinely needed after the first couple of hundred miles of use.

the most common cause is build up on the rims from the brake pads and other dirt. the easy solution is to clean them up with some fine, non-soapy steel wool. then wipe with alcohol. (not the drinking kind) if better, but not quite there, try replacing the pads as well.

number two would be toe-in, or lack there of. the brake pads should not be exactly parallel to the rims. the part towards the front of the bike should be perceptibly closer to the rims than the rear, making contact first. if they are parallel, they can shimmy and squeel. if you're not sure about adjusting toe-in, have your lbs or knowlegable friend do it.

there can be a few resons y... the most popular is incorrect shoe position. they should be toed in a little bit. this is fixed 2 ways, a park brake ajustment tool (actually bends the brake caliper) yes id be mad too if i saw someone bending a 230$ set of campy brakes, but it's just the way it is i guess, or the way i would do it, take the shoe to a grinder to give it some toe in.... i have done both.

im assuming it's a road brake and the rims and shoe are clean.