squeeky front brake!

Darren

Guest
When i put the front brake on (normal pads) it make a horrible squeeky rubbery noise as it comes
into contact with the rims. What do I need to od to resolve this?

Cheers
--
Darren

Darren wrote on 8/31/03 4:39 AM:
> When i put the front brake on (normal pads) it make a horrible squeeky rubbery noise as it comes
> into contact with the rims. What do I need to od to resolve this?

You'll need to slightly "toe-in" the pads. They should be about a dime's width ahead of the back
when you put your brakes on.

Any competent bike shop can do this relatively cheaply, or it's not a bad way to learn about the
adjustments of your bike.

If the bike is older, the brake pad may have also dried out or hardened, which would make
this worse.

Hope that helps,

-- Jim

For my use, the best pads are Kool-Stop Salmon-red: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html

> You'll need to slightly "toe-in" the pads. They should be about a dime's width ahead of the back
> when you put your brakes on.

Don't bend the brake caliper!

> Any competent bike shop can do this relatively cheaply, or it's not a bad way to learn about the
> adjustments of your bike.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.16.html

Take the pads off, and rub them across a file or sandpaper until the shininess has gone.

Jim Edgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB77696D.4FD0A%[email protected]...
> Darren wrote on 8/31/03 4:39 AM:
> > When i put the front brake on (normal pads) it make a horrible squeeky rubbery noise as it comes
> > into contact with the rims. What do I need to
od
> > to resolve this?
>
> You'll need to slightly "toe-in" the pads. They should be about a dime's width ahead of the back
> when you put your brakes on.
>
> Any competent bike shop can do this relatively cheaply, or it's not a bad way to learn about the
> adjustments of your bike.

Well there's the problem! Where is that mythical bike shop?

I used to know one...

Doug

Doug Purdy at [email protected] wrote on 9/1/03 7:44 PM:
>> Any competent bike shop can do this relatively cheaply, or it's not a bad way to learn about the
>> adjustments of your bike.
>
> Well there's the problem! Where is that mythical bike shop?

Brigadoon Cycles. Opens once every 5 years or so.

-- je