Squeeky springs on Brooks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael Pearlma, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. I have four B-67 Brooks saddles and the springs all squeek especially when climbing. I've squirted
    them with WD-40 and later with silicone spray but neither helps. Any suggestions?

    Tags:

  2. I have a Champion Flyer (basically a B17 with springs) on my MTB. It does squeak slightly. but not
    enough to be bothersome.

    Try a little penetrating oil, like 3-in-1, don't use WD-40, it's too thin.

    WD-40 is good for freeing stuck things and cleaning rust, as it also contains a mild etching
    ingredient. It's lubricating properties are very light duty, if they exist at all.

  3. Michael Pearlman wrote:
    > I have four B-67 Brooks saddles and the springs all squeek especially when climbing. I've squirted
    > them with WD-40 and later with silicone spray but neither helps. Any suggestions?

    If your sure its the springs use a tiny paintbrush to put a tiny bit of grease between the spring
    coils at the ends.

    I have a B67 and found my noise to be caused by a pitching motion of the tension bolt/nose assembly.
    It is not held parallel to the rails as would be ideal.

    This is really a design flaw in brooks saddles in general - under load the tension bolt and nose
    assembly should stay static and parallel to the rails while the leather should deform. I have a B17
    Champion and a Conquest on which the bolts also pitch, but not as much, and they are not noisy. On
    my wider B67 saddle it is more pronounced and is noisy.

    I stopped mine by doing that by putting a thick piece of plastic bewteen the rails and the tension
    bolt in the nose of the saddle, restricting the tension bolt from a pitching motion.

    http://freeengineer.org/IMAGES/B67fix.jpg

    This has been good for about 2000 miles but is now cracking and must be replaced soon.

    I am thinking that I might find an ideal thickness and diameter steel washer as a replacement.

    CRM

  4. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >I have a B17 Champion and a Conquest on which the bolts also pitch, but not as much, and they are
    >not noisy. On my wider B67 saddle

    Do you use all three regularly? If so, what determines which one you use?
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  5. (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >
    >>I have a B17 Champion and a Conquest on which the bolts also pitch, but not as much, and they are
    >>not noisy. On my wider B67 saddle
    >

    > Do you use all three regularly? If so, what determines which one you use?

    It depends on which bike I am riding.

    B67 -> Extreme upright loaded tourer / grocery bike B17 -> Road bike Conquest -> Mountian ( trails
    actually here in Michigan) bike

    This year about 600 mi road, 300 mi tour, 100 mi trails so far.

    CRM

  6. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >B17 -> Road bike Conquest -> Mountian

    Is the Conquest any wider than the B17? I've got a couple of B17's and a B67 and it seems like
    the B67 is too wide yet the B17 could be 3/4" wider....I guess I'm looking for the
    non-existant "B17W"...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  7. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > Is the Conquest any wider than the B17? I've got a couple of B17's and a
    B67
    > and it seems like the B67 is too wide yet the B17 could be 3/4" wider....I
    guess
    > I'm looking for the non-existant "B17W"...
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

    The Finesse is supposed to be wider than the B17. You might try it. Supposedly, the B17 is 170 mm
    and the Finesse is 175mm and the Team Pro S is 177 mm wide. That's what it says on the
    www.wallbike.com website.

    Pat in Texas

  8. (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > RE/
    >
    >>B17 -> Road bike Conquest -> Mountian
    >

    > Is the Conquest any wider than the B17? I've got a couple of B17's and a B67 and it seems like the
    > B67 is too wide yet the B17 could be 3/4" wider....I guess I'm looking for the non-existant
    > "B17W"...

    The conquest looks to be the same or maybe a smidge narrower than the B17 (and has springs).

    CRM

  9. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    [email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote:

    > I have four B-67 Brooks saddles and the springs all squeek especially when climbing. I've squirted
    > them with WD-40 and later with silicone spray but neither helps. Any suggestions?

    If you shipped its parts order faster, it wouldn't make so much annoying noise.

    Chalo Colina

  10. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    > [email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote:
    >
    > > I have four B-67 Brooks saddles and the springs all squeek especially when climbing. I've
    > > squirted them with WD-40 and later with silicone spray but neither helps. Any suggestions?
    >
    > If you shipped its parts order faster, it wouldn't make so much annoying noise.

    ROTFLMAO!

    Rick