Squeeky springs on Brooks

Michael Pearlma

Guest
I have four B-67 Brooks saddles and the springs all squeek especially when climbing. I've squirted
them with WD-40 and later with silicone spray but neither helps. Any suggestions?

I have a Champion Flyer (basically a B17 with springs) on my MTB. It does squeak slightly. but not
enough to be bothersome.

Try a little penetrating oil, like 3-in-1, don't use WD-40, it's too thin.

WD-40 is good for freeing stuck things and cleaning rust, as it also contains a mild etching
ingredient. It's lubricating properties are very light duty, if they exist at all.

Michael Pearlman wrote:
> I have four B-67 Brooks saddles and the springs all squeek especially when climbing. I've squirted
> them with WD-40 and later with silicone spray but neither helps. Any suggestions?

If your sure its the springs use a tiny paintbrush to put a tiny bit of grease between the spring
coils at the ends.

I have a B67 and found my noise to be caused by a pitching motion of the tension bolt/nose assembly.
It is not held parallel to the rails as would be ideal.

This is really a design flaw in brooks saddles in general - under load the tension bolt and nose
assembly should stay static and parallel to the rails while the leather should deform. I have a B17
Champion and a Conquest on which the bolts also pitch, but not as much, and they are not noisy. On
my wider B67 saddle it is more pronounced and is noisy.

I stopped mine by doing that by putting a thick piece of plastic bewteen the rails and the tension
bolt in the nose of the saddle, restricting the tension bolt from a pitching motion.

http://freeengineer.org/IMAGES/B67fix.jpg

This has been good for about 2000 miles but is now cracking and must be replaced soon.

I am thinking that I might find an ideal thickness and diameter steel washer as a replacement.

CRM

RE/
>I have a B17 Champion and a Conquest on which the bolts also pitch, but not as much, and they are
>not noisy. On my wider B67 saddle

Do you use all three regularly? If so, what determines which one you use?
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>
>>I have a B17 Champion and a Conquest on which the bolts also pitch, but not as much, and they are
>>not noisy. On my wider B67 saddle
>

> Do you use all three regularly? If so, what determines which one you use?

It depends on which bike I am riding.

B67 -> Extreme upright loaded tourer / grocery bike B17 -> Road bike Conquest -> Mountian ( trails
actually here in Michigan) bike

This year about 600 mi road, 300 mi tour, 100 mi trails so far.

CRM

RE/
>B17 -> Road bike Conquest -> Mountian

Is the Conquest any wider than the B17? I've got a couple of B17's and a B67 and it seems like
the B67 is too wide yet the B17 could be 3/4" wider....I guess I'm looking for the
non-existant "B17W"...
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

x-no-archive:yes

> Is the Conquest any wider than the B17? I've got a couple of B17's and a
B67
> and it seems like the B67 is too wide yet the B17 could be 3/4" wider....I
guess
> I'm looking for the non-existant "B17W"...
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

The Finesse is supposed to be wider than the B17. You might try it. Supposedly, the B17 is 170 mm
and the Finesse is 175mm and the Team Pro S is 177 mm wide. That's what it says on the
www.wallbike.com website.

Pat in Texas

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> RE/
>
>>B17 -> Road bike Conquest -> Mountian
>

> Is the Conquest any wider than the B17? I've got a couple of B17's and a B67 and it seems like the
> B67 is too wide yet the B17 could be 3/4" wider....I guess I'm looking for the non-existant
> "B17W"...

The conquest looks to be the same or maybe a smidge narrower than the B17 (and has springs).

CRM

[email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote:

> I have four B-67 Brooks saddles and the springs all squeek especially when climbing. I've squirted
> them with WD-40 and later with silicone spray but neither helps. Any suggestions?

If you shipped its parts order faster, it wouldn't make so much annoying noise.

Chalo Colina

> [email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote:
>
> > I have four B-67 Brooks saddles and the springs all squeek especially when climbing. I've
> > squirted them with WD-40 and later with silicone spray but neither helps. Any suggestions?
>
> If you shipped its parts order faster, it wouldn't make so much annoying noise.

ROTFLMAO!

Rick