Squirrel cull

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by druidh, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Tags:

  2. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, druidh
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Well, I've read about it, and seen it on the news, but still no ranting
    >on this forum. Maybe the Range Rover broke down on the way to the
    >newsagent today??
    >
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4635330.stm

    Perhaps he's been converted to accepting the need. After all, he's never
    put forward any alternative way of saving the Red Squirrel.

    On second thoughts, that seems unlikely.......:)

    --
    Malcolm

  3. Gordon Burns

    Gordon Burns Guest

    Good idea, and about time. We live in one of the few areas where reds
    survive, and their numbers are dwindling whlie at the same time greys are
    increasing. I've been known to set traps, which are loaned quite legally,
    and then return them full. Don't know what happens next!!

    news:[email protected]

  4. Gordon Burns wrote:

    > Don't know what happens next!!

    You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

    Chris

  5. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    On 23 Jan 2006 00:52:26 -0800, "Chris Gilbert"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gordon Burns wrote:
    >
    >> Don't know what happens next!!

    >You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

    Another keybord gone....

    LOL!!!!

    Richard Webb

  6. Craven

    Craven Guest

    "Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > In article <[email protected]>, druidh
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >>Well, I've read about it, and seen it on the news, but still no ranting on
    >>this forum. Maybe the Range Rover broke down on the way to the newsagent
    >>today??
    >>
    >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4635330.stm
    >>

    > Perhaps he's been converted to accepting the need. After all, he's never
    > put forward any alternative way of saving the Red Squirrel.
    >
    > On second thoughts, that seems unlikely.......:)

    He rarely posts on here! About conservation issues.

  7. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Gordon Burns wrote:
    >
    >> Don't know what happens next!!

    > You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

    What is River Cottage?

    Alan

    > Chris

  8. Alan Holmes

    Alan Holmes Guest

    "Gordon Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Good idea, and about time. We live in one of the few areas where reds
    > survive, and their numbers are dwindling whlie at the same time greys are
    > increasing. I've been known to set traps, which are loaned quite legally,
    > and then return them full. Don't know what happens next!!

    You are very lucky to have any red squirrels, they dissapeared from teh
    south east many years ago.

    I wouldn't worry about what happens after you return the traps, as long as
    the damned things get killed, that is all that matters.

    I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about the
    problem.

    What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
    things!

    Alan

    > "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Well, I've read about it, and seen it on the news, but still no ranting
    >> on this forum. Maybe the Range Rover broke down on the way to the
    >> newsagent today??
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4635330.stm
    >>

    >> druidh

  9. "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Gordon Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >> Good idea, and about time. We live in one of the few areas where reds
    >> survive, and their numbers are dwindling whlie at the same time greys are
    >> increasing. I've been known to set traps, which are loaned quite legally,
    >> and then return them full. Don't know what happens next!!

    > You are very lucky to have any red squirrels, they dissapeared from teh
    > south east many years ago.
    >
    > I wouldn't worry about what happens after you return the traps, as long as
    > the damned things get killed, that is all that matters.
    >
    > I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about the
    > problem.
    >
    > What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
    > things!
    >
    > Alan
    >

    >> "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Well, I've read about it, and seen it on the news, but still no ranting
    >>> on this forum. Maybe the Range Rover broke down on the way to the
    >>> newsagent today??
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4635330.stm
    >>>

    >>> druidh

    With the threat of Bird Flu, is there any chance that Tesco will sell them
    instead of chicken?

  10. The Reid

    The Reid Guest

    Following up to Alan Holmes

    >> You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

    >What is River Cottage?

    Hugh Fernlieigh Whotsiname smallholding and living off the land
    --
    Mike Reid
    Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site

  11. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Reminds me of that bit in "The Matrix" :)

    druidh

  12. > What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly
    > sweet things!

    Well, they _look_ cuddly and sweet.

    About the cull, it'll delay the spread of the greys for a few years or more
    but will have bugger all permanent impact unless people use the time gained
    to increase the habitats that suit Reds over the Greys. Doing anything
    else is just like stamping on ants.

  13. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, The Reid
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Following up to Alan Holmes
    >
    >>> You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

    >>What is River Cottage?

    >Hugh Fernlieigh Whotsiname smallholding and living off the land

    Boils everything in red wine with loads of garlic and any herbs he can
    pick from the local environment. He will eat almost anything as long as
    it's free.

    Have you noticed how almost all his meals look the same?
    --
    Bill Grey
    http://www.billboy.co.uk

  14. Nick Mason

    Nick Mason Guest

    The Reid wrote:
    > Following up to Alan Holmes
    >

    >>>You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

    >>What is River Cottage?

    > Hugh Fernlieigh Whotsiname smallholding and living off the land

    squirrel tika masala, yummy!

    --
    Regards

    Nick

  15. Gordon Burns

    Gordon Burns Guest

    "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
    > things!
    >
    > Alan

    They'll be the same people who think that foxes are cuddly lovable animals.
    They've never been inside a chicken run when a fox has kiled 30 birds just
    for the taste of blood, and then eaten just half of one. Mostly townies I
    suspect. They should be culled as well!

  16. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Mark Thompson <[email protected]> wrote
    >> What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly
    >> sweet things!

    >Well, they _look_ cuddly and sweet.

    And clever, judging by the obstacle courses they have mastered to get to
    the nuts!
    Maybe if the prettier red squirrels weren't so dumb?.......

    >About the cull, it'll delay the spread of the greys for a few years or more
    >but will have bugger all permanent impact unless people use the time gained
    >to increase the habitats that suit Reds over the Greys. Doing anything
    >else is just like stamping on ants.

    I don't see the point of culling other than in areas where they threaten
    red squirrel habitats, or where excessive damage is being dome to trees.
    --
    Gordon Harris

  17. druidh

    druidh Guest

    I don't know that you've got it right. Picture it from the Fox's point
    of view.

    You find a mass of chickens together.
    You think "oh - fancy a bit of breast tonight".
    Break in - kill a bird at random (or maybe select the juiciest one).
    Then, just as you're settling down to your snack, the rest of the birds
    are flapping about and squacking away.
    "Jeesus" you think.
    Wouldn't you kill them just for a bit of peace and quiet??

    druidh

  18. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote

    > You are very lucky to have any red squirrels, they dissapeared from teh
    > south east many years ago.
    >
    > I wouldn't worry about what happens after you return the traps, as long as
    > the damned things get killed, that is all that matters.
    >
    > I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about the
    > problem.
    >
    > What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
    > things!

    What, red ones are cute and cuddly but grey ones aren't? Isn't that
    slightly racist? How about spraying the grey ones red rather than killing
    them?

  19. dave hill

    dave hill Guest

    AndyP wrote
    >"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> You are very lucky to have any red squirrels, they dissapeared from teh
    >> south east many years ago.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't worry about what happens after you return the traps, as long as
    >> the damned things get killed, that is all that matters.
    >>
    >> I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
    >> things!

    >What, red ones are cute and cuddly but grey ones aren't? Isn't that
    >slightly racist? How about spraying the grey ones red rather than killing
    >them?

    No how about interbreeding the things.
    a bit like was Mendelev ? and his attempts are getting tulips
    of different colours to grow.
    Would/ maybe have 2 tone squirrels etc.
    --
    dave hill

  20. AndyP wrote:

    > How about spraying the grey ones red rather than killing
    > them?

    What ? and ruin the flavour !!!

    Chris