Squirrel cull

In article <[email protected]>, druidh
<[email protected]> writes
>Well, I've read about it, and seen it on the news, but still no ranting
>on this forum. Maybe the Range Rover broke down on the way to the
>newsagent today??
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4635330.stm

Perhaps he's been converted to accepting the need. After all, he's never
put forward any alternative way of saving the Red Squirrel.

On second thoughts, that seems unlikely.......:)

--
Malcolm

Good idea, and about time. We live in one of the few areas where reds
survive, and their numbers are dwindling whlie at the same time greys are
increasing. I've been known to set traps, which are loaned quite legally,
and then return them full. Don't know what happens next!!

news:[email protected]...

Gordon Burns wrote:

> Don't know what happens next!!

You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

Chris

On 23 Jan 2006 00:52:26 -0800, "Chris Gilbert"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Gordon Burns wrote:
>
>> Don't know what happens next!!

>You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

Another keybord gone....

LOL!!!!

Richard Webb

"Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> In article <[email protected]>, druidh
> <[email protected]> writes
>>Well, I've read about it, and seen it on the news, but still no ranting on
>>this forum. Maybe the Range Rover broke down on the way to the newsagent
>>today??
>>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4635330.stm
>>

> Perhaps he's been converted to accepting the need. After all, he's never
> put forward any alternative way of saving the Red Squirrel.
>
> On second thoughts, that seems unlikely.......:)

He rarely posts on here! About conservation issues.

"Gordon Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Good idea, and about time. We live in one of the few areas where reds
> survive, and their numbers are dwindling whlie at the same time greys are
> increasing. I've been known to set traps, which are loaned quite legally,
> and then return them full. Don't know what happens next!!

You are very lucky to have any red squirrels, they dissapeared from teh
south east many years ago.

I wouldn't worry about what happens after you return the traps, as long as
the damned things get killed, that is all that matters.

I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about the
problem.

What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
things!

Alan

> "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Well, I've read about it, and seen it on the news, but still no ranting
>> on this forum. Maybe the Range Rover broke down on the way to the
>> newsagent today??
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4635330.stm
>>

>> druidh

"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Gordon Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>> Good idea, and about time. We live in one of the few areas where reds
>> survive, and their numbers are dwindling whlie at the same time greys are
>> increasing. I've been known to set traps, which are loaned quite legally,
>> and then return them full. Don't know what happens next!!

> You are very lucky to have any red squirrels, they dissapeared from teh
> south east many years ago.
>
> I wouldn't worry about what happens after you return the traps, as long as
> the damned things get killed, that is all that matters.
>
> I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about the
> problem.
>
> What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
> things!
>
> Alan
>

>> "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Well, I've read about it, and seen it on the news, but still no ranting
>>> on this forum. Maybe the Range Rover broke down on the way to the
>>> newsagent today??
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4635330.stm
>>>

>>> druidh

With the threat of Bird Flu, is there any chance that Tesco will sell them
instead of chicken?

Following up to Alan Holmes

>> You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

>What is River Cottage?

Hugh Fernlieigh Whotsiname smallholding and living off the land
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site

> What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly
> sweet things!

Well, they _look_ cuddly and sweet.

About the cull, it'll delay the spread of the greys for a few years or more
but will have bugger all permanent impact unless people use the time gained
to increase the habitats that suit Reds over the Greys. Doing anything
else is just like stamping on ants.

In article <[email protected]>, The Reid
<[email protected]> writes
>Following up to Alan Holmes
>
>>> You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

>>What is River Cottage?

>Hugh Fernlieigh Whotsiname smallholding and living off the land

Boils everything in red wine with loads of garlic and any herbs he can
pick from the local environment. He will eat almost anything as long as
it's free.

Have you noticed how almost all his meals look the same?
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

The Reid wrote:
> Following up to Alan Holmes
>

>>>You don't watch River Cottage then ? ;-)

>>What is River Cottage?

> Hugh Fernlieigh Whotsiname smallholding and living off the land

squirrel tika masala, yummy!

--
Regards

Nick

"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
> things!
>
> Alan

They'll be the same people who think that foxes are cuddly lovable animals.
They've never been inside a chicken run when a fox has kiled 30 birds just
for the taste of blood, and then eaten just half of one. Mostly townies I
suspect. They should be culled as well!

Mark Thompson <[email protected]> wrote
>> What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly
>> sweet things!

>Well, they _look_ cuddly and sweet.

And clever, judging by the obstacle courses they have mastered to get to
the nuts!
Maybe if the prettier red squirrels weren't so dumb?.......

>About the cull, it'll delay the spread of the greys for a few years or more
>but will have bugger all permanent impact unless people use the time gained
>to increase the habitats that suit Reds over the Greys. Doing anything
>else is just like stamping on ants.

I don't see the point of culling other than in areas where they threaten
red squirrel habitats, or where excessive damage is being dome to trees.
--
Gordon Harris

I don't know that you've got it right. Picture it from the Fox's point
of view.

You find a mass of chickens together.
You think "oh - fancy a bit of breast tonight".
Break in - kill a bird at random (or maybe select the juiciest one).
Then, just as you're settling down to your snack, the rest of the birds
are flapping about and squacking away.
"Jeesus" you think.
Wouldn't you kill them just for a bit of peace and quiet??

druidh

"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote

> You are very lucky to have any red squirrels, they dissapeared from teh
> south east many years ago.
>
> I wouldn't worry about what happens after you return the traps, as long as
> the damned things get killed, that is all that matters.
>
> I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about the
> problem.
>
> What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
> things!

What, red ones are cute and cuddly but grey ones aren't? Isn't that
slightly racist? How about spraying the grey ones red rather than killing
them?

AndyP wrote
>"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> You are very lucky to have any red squirrels, they dissapeared from teh
>> south east many years ago.
>>
>> I wouldn't worry about what happens after you return the traps, as long as
>> the damned things get killed, that is all that matters.
>>
>> I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about the
>> problem.
>>
>> What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
>> things!

>What, red ones are cute and cuddly but grey ones aren't? Isn't that
>slightly racist? How about spraying the grey ones red rather than killing
>them?

No how about interbreeding the things.
a bit like was Mendelev ? and his attempts are getting tulips
of different colours to grow.
Would/ maybe have 2 tone squirrels etc.
--
dave hill

AndyP wrote:

> How about spraying the grey ones red rather than killing
> them?

What ? and ruin the flavour !!!

Chris