Squirrel cull

dave hill wrote:

> Would/ maybe have 2 tone squirrels etc.

ONE STEP BEYOND............ !!!

They've got black ones in Canada (or is it just the air quality in
Toronto?)

druidh

druidh wrote:

> They've got black ones in Canada (or is it just the air quality
> in Toronto?)

The Candians never have been renowned for the quality of
their BBQs

druidh wrote:

> They've got black ones in Canada (or is it just the air quality
> in Toronto?)

The Candians never have been renowned for the quality of
their BBQs

[email protected] said...
> In article <[email protected]>, The Reid
> <[email protected]> writes
> >Following up to Alan Holmes

> >>What is River Cottage?

> >Hugh Fernlieigh Whotsiname smallholding and living off the land

> Boils everything in red wine with loads of garlic and any herbs he can
> pick from the local environment. He will eat almost anything as long as
> it's free.

Oh, I see. Boils everything in red wine freshly made from grapes he
trod himself, eh? Loads of garlic? What's that for, disguising the
taste of whatever it is he's cooking?

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

[email protected] said...
> >About the cull, it'll delay the spread of the greys for a few years or more
> >but will have bugger all permanent impact unless people use the time gained
> >to increase the habitats that suit Reds over the Greys. Doing anything
> >else is just like stamping on ants.

> I don't see the point of culling other than in areas where they threaten
> red squirrel habitats, or where excessive damage is being dome to trees.

Neither do I, to be honest, unless 'they' are considering reintroducing
red squirrels to those areas.
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

"Judith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:40:28 -0000, Fran
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>If you really want
>>another rat, there's a ghastly feathered one that I absolutely loathe -
>>the pigeon. Ick, horrible things.

> AOL.
>
> I nearly had to run over a woman today. I have seen her around
> before. She has a couple of plastic shopping bags from which she
> scatters handfuls of (what looks like) seed for the pigeons. Is she
> MAD? OK, I have made up my mind; she /is/ mad and I'm going to
> remonstrate with her. (Of course, being British, I shall merely
> mutter under my breath and hope she doesn't hear me.)

You're out of date. The way British people now react is to kick the *&%$£
out of someone, whilst having a mate film it on your (stolen) mobile phone.

Have fun,
Paul

Gordon wrote:

>Mark Thompson <[email protected]> wrote
>>> What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly
>>> sweet things!

>>Well, they _look_ cuddly and sweet.
>>

>And clever, judging by the obstacle courses they have mastered to get to
>the nuts!
>Maybe if the prettier red squirrels weren't so dumb?.......

The reds are just as clever. It's just that the greys are bigger and
can eat under-ripe nuts. In the LDNP they have feeders for reds that
tip the heavier greys off.

In article <[email protected]>, Fran
<[email protected]> writes
>> I don't see the point of culling other than in areas where they threaten
>> red squirrel habitats, or where excessive damage is being dome to trees.
>>

>Neither do I, to be honest, unless 'they' are considering reintroducing
>red squirrels to those areas.

Grey squirrels do a tremendous amount of damage by raiding birds nests
in the spring robbing out a whole hedgerow in one fell swoop. It's not
only the Red squirrels that need conservation it's the birds as well.

These Squirrels are just rats with bushy tails.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Holmes contained the following:

>What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
>things!

They are.

Why take it out on the squirrel? It's only doing what it evolved to do.

Man, on the other hand, ought to know better.
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:41:23 -0000, "Gordon Burns"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>They'll be the same people who think that foxes are cuddly lovable animals.
>They've never been inside a chicken run when a fox has kiled 30 birds just
>for the taste of blood, and then eaten just half of one. Mostly townies I
>suspect. They should be culled as well!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What, the townies? :)

Stronger chicken runs will keep out the fox ....

Peter

In message <[email protected]>
"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm glad to see, at long last, someone is trying to do something about the
> problem.
>
> What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
> things!

I suppose they aren't really any better or worse than the reds, just
in the wrong place. It's not their fault that some idiots imported
them and let them loose, after all.

A cull is needed, but it's not something to cheer about. Just hope it
works.

--
Simon Challands

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:58:07 +0000, W. D. Grey wrote...

> These Squirrels are just rats with bushy tails.

The public relations chap at work describes them as rats with good PR.

--
Tim Jackson
[email protected]lid

[email protected] said...
> In article <[email protected]>, Fran
> <[email protected]> writes
> >> I don't see the point of culling other than in areas where they threaten
> >> red squirrel habitats, or where excessive damage is being dome to trees.
> >>

> >Neither do I, to be honest, unless 'they' are considering reintroducing
> >red squirrels to those areas.

> Grey squirrels do a tremendous amount of damage by raiding birds nests
> in the spring robbing out a whole hedgerow in one fell swoop. It's not
> only the Red squirrels that need conservation it's the birds as well.
>
> These Squirrels are just rats with bushy tails.

Nevertheless, I like squirrels. I much prefer the red, but being
brought up in the London area I am used to seeing grey squirrels playing
on the lawn - occasionally with a fox cub. (Sorry but yes, I like foxen
too, and I know full well the damage they can do). If you really want
another rat, there's a ghastly feathered one that I absolutely loathe -
the pigeon. Ick, horrible things.
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> writes
>The reds are just as clever. It's just that the greys are bigger and
>can eat under-ripe nuts. In the LDNP they have feeders for reds that
>tip the heavier greys off.

A feeder was designed so that the Reds could feed but the Greys
couldn't.

The Grey being 5 times as heavy as a Red would cause the feeder platform
to descend, shutting off the food supply. The Red would be too light to
lower the platform and thus enable it to feed unhindered.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

[email protected] said...
> A cull is needed, but it's not something to cheer about. Just hope it
> works.

Note the word 'cull', though. No one's planning to wipe out the grey
squirrel (they'd better not try), but in those areas where there are
still reds it would be wonderful to see them thriving instead of being
pushed out more and more by the greys.

Of course, you could also argue that the squirrel's main enemy is the
Forestry Commission...
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

In article <[email protected]>, Geoff Berrow
<[email protected]> writes
>Holmes contained the following:
>
>>What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
>>things!

>They are.
>
>Why take it out on the squirrel? It's only doing what it evolved to do.

Yes, but it's doing what it evolved to do in North America, not the UK.

>Man, on the other hand, ought to know better.

Should have known better than introduce it.

--
Malcolm