Squirrel cull

"W. D. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, The Reid
> <[email protected]> writes
>>Following up to Alan Holmes

>>>What is River Cottage?

>>Hugh Fernlieigh Whotsiname smallholding and living off the land

> Boils everything in red wine with loads of garlic and any herbs he can
> pick from the local environment. He will eat almost anything as long as
> it's free.

He must be related to me!:)-)

Alan

> Have you noticed how almost all his meals look the same?
> --
> Bill Grey
> http://www.billboy.co.uk

"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote

> They destroy birds as well, steal the eggs from the nests.

Animals eating each other, who'd a thunk it. It's about time they all
learnt to play nicely together. Kill the whole damn lot of 'em if they
can't behave themselves.

In article <[email protected]>, Malcolm
<[email protected]> writes
>>The Grey being 5 times as heavy as a Red would cause the feeder
>>platform to descend, shutting off the food supply. The Red would be
>>too light to lower the platform and thus enable it to feed unhindered.

>Err, not as much as 5 times.
>
>According to the Handbook of British Mammals:
>
>Red Squirrel: 230-435g
>
>Grey Squirrel: 350-705g

I've no doubt you're right, the program I saw quoted 5 x. I can't argue
either way other than the Grey is heavier than the Red and that fact was
used against the Grey.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

AndyP <[email protected]> wrote
>"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> They destroy birds as well, steal the eggs from the nests.

>Animals eating each other, who'd a thunk it. It's about time they all
>learnt to play nicely together. Kill the whole damn lot of 'em if they
>can't behave themselves.

LOL!
--
Gordon Harris

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:56:20 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Like the idiot who released damned parakeets in this area.

Allegedly Pinewood or Elstree studios, after filming a Robeson number.

AJH

[email protected] said...
> Following up to Fran
>
> >Feed the birds, she says, I'll give
> >'er 'feed the birds', bleedin' sparrers and pidgins, that's what they
> >is. Feed the birds indeed,

> of course house sparrows are becoming rare, so pass from vermin
> to protected icon of the past any time about now.

I actually rather like sparrows - the above was a reference, albeit a
vastly misquoted one, to Mary Poppins :)
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

[email protected] said...
> > I don't see the point of culling other than in areas where they threaten
> > red squirrel habitats, or where excessive damage is being dome to trees.

> Well they steal my nuts!

*Ouch!*
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

[email protected] said...
> Like the idiot who released damned parakeets in this area.
>
> Alan

Aha! I know where you are - you're in the SE, aren't you. Or has some
other someone been releasing the things?
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

contained the following:

>> Like the idiot who released damned parakeets in this area.
>>
>> Alan
>>

>Aha! I know where you are - you're in the SE, aren't you. Or has some
>other someone been releasing the things?

I spotted an African Grey flying free on a walk last Sunday.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Following up to Alan Holmes

>They destroy birds as well, steal the eggs from the nests.

although its us who do most of the damage to bird species.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site

Following up to Gordon Burns

>They'll be the same people who think that foxes are cuddly lovable animals.
>They've never been inside a chicken run when a fox has kiled 30 birds just
>for the taste of blood, and then eaten just half of one. Mostly townies I
>suspect

I'm a "townie" and I don't know anybody who thinks that of foxes.
I do know "townies" and (insert derogatory term for countryfolk
here) who think fox hunters are *also* blah blah blah.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Walk-eat-photos Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

Alan Holmes <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> In article <[email protected]>, W. D. Grey
>> <[email protected]> writes
>>>In article <[email protected]>, Phil Cook
>>><[email protected]> writes
>>>
>>>A feeder was designed so that the Reds could feed but the Greys couldn't.
>>>
>>>The Grey being 5 times as heavy as a Red would cause the feeder platform
>>>to descend, shutting off the food supply. The Red would be too light to
>>>lower the platform and thus enable it to feed unhindered.

>> Err, not as much as 5 times.
>>
>> According to the Handbook of British Mammals:
>>
>> Red Squirrel: 230-435g
>>
>> Grey Squirrel: 350-705g
>>
>> Those are for adults. There is little apparent difference between the
>> sexes but some regional variation.

> I prefer to kill the females, not that I've anyting aginst women, but for
> ever female squirrel you kill, you have robbed the world of several
> thousand!

How come female squirrels have more offspring than male squirrels?

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Geoff Berrow
> <[email protected]> writes
>>Holmes contained the following:
>>
>>>What is really sad is the number of idiots who see them as cuddly sweet
>>>things!

>>They are.
>>
>>Why take it out on the squirrel? It's only doing what it evolved to do.
>>

> Yes, but it's doing what it evolved to do in North America, not the UK.

>>Man, on the other hand, ought to know better.

> Should have known better than introduce it.

The introduction of human beings to North America has been an
ecological disaster for the whole world.

Geoff Berrow wrote:
> contained the following:
>
> >> Like the idiot who released damned parakeets in this area.
> >>
> >> Alan
> >>

> >Aha! I know where you are - you're in the SE, aren't you. Or has some
> >other someone been releasing the things?

> I spotted an African Grey flying free on a walk last Sunday.

Parakeet or squirrel?

druidh

>> I spotted an African Grey flying free on a walk last Sunday.
>>

> Parakeet or squirrel?

Ah, I'd read it as 'flying tree'.

In message <[email protected]>, Chris Malcolm
<[email protected]> writes
>Alan Holmes <[email protected]> wrote:

<Snip>

>> I prefer to kill the females, not that I've anyting aginst women, but for
>> ever female squirrel you kill, you have robbed the world of several
>> thousand!

>How come female squirrels have more offspring than male squirrels?

If you kill some of the males, the females still get pregnant. Next
year, there are just as many squirrels as ever. If you kill the females
they don't have any offspring. In every species where the young are
raised by the female alone (e.g. no long-term pair bonds) the number of
females is the limit on population growth. Both grey and red squirrels
fall into that category - so do red deer, which is another species where
effective population control has to kill females.

Http://wonderclub.com/Wildlife/mammals/greysquirrel.html

http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsheets/animal_facts/red_squirrel.html

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

[email protected] said...
> >> I spotted an African Grey flying free on a walk last Sunday.
> >>

> > Parakeet or squirrel?

> Ah, I'd read it as 'flying tree'.

/me passes Mark a pair of glasses
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

[email protected] said...
> > I prefer to kill the females, not that I've anyting aginst women, but for
> > ever female squirrel you kill, you have robbed the world of several
> > thousand!

> How come female squirrels have more offspring than male squirrels?

Pardon??!
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

druidh contained the following:

>> I spotted an African Grey flying free on a walk last Sunday.
>>

>Parakeet or squirrel?

I don't think squirrels fly but some do glide a bit. My mate was quite
taken by it himself being a bit of a parrot fan.

--

Geoff Berrow wrote:
> druidh contained the following:
>

>>>I spotted an African Grey flying free on a walk last Sunday.
>>>

>>Parakeet or squirrel?

> I don't think squirrels fly but some do glide a bit. My mate was quite
> taken by it himself being a bit of a parrot fan.

Flying or gliding?

druidh