SQUISHED Carbon Spacer?

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
Today I swapped out a 2 cm carbon spacer I had under my stem for an aluminum one. I did this because I read somewhere that carbon can compress along that plane. And I needed a different size anyway. Well, when I took out the old one, it was lopsided! It looks like it wasn't cut squarely. I've been sprinting a lot, and when I do I *really* pull on the bars, but come on!

Surely I couldn't have had the thing in there with that angle, could I? I've looked at the thing a thousand times, so I would've noticed if it wasn't seated very well onto the headset cup and/or bottom of the stem.

Check it out!

what's the make of that spacer.. I have used carbon spacers(cane creek) on my road and mtb and never did I see such....

Don't know the maker. My LBS (a quality shop) sells them without identification.

I have a great eye for symmetry -- even modestly crooked wall hangings, doors not hung squarely, walls out of plumb, etc., are very obvious to me. The moment I took this thing off the bike I spotted the odd shape. I just can't imagine having put it in there looking the way it did.

Assuming it was merely cut angled (and that's got to be the story because there's no way it could be this distorted from use), how the heck did the manufacturer do that? You'd think they were in a jig of sorts.

Originally posted by Aztec
Don't know the maker. My LBS (a quality shop) sells them without identification.

Are you considering returning back to the LBS to return/exchange the spacer? (While your at it, ask 'em if they have seen others cut similar to yours).

Have you looked at the steer on the fork? If it is carbon it might be nicked maybe.

boudreaux said:
Gimmie a break.
Not so fast....have you considered that maybe some people like to ride on rough roads with their stem and headset loose, or just make lots of turns with the stem slipping around the steertube? In that case, the spacers could take quite a beating.