SR bicycles?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mfinger1, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. mfinger1

    mfinger1 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    Hello all. I'm new to this forum, and probably not as familiar with bicycles as some of you.
    My question is, did SR make bicycles?
    I know they make cranksets, headposts, seatposts, but how about bikes?
    I've recently acquired an SR 12 speed "racing ?" bike w/27' frame, that probably dates to the early '80s. It has a Shimano group set I think, comprised of brake calipers and levers as well as front and rear derailurs. Can anyone provide any info on an SR bike ? If it's the same SR that eventually acquired Suntour?
    Any and ALL info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    > My question is, did SR make bicycles?

    They do appear on eBay from time to time. You can probably glean some info
    by watching those auctions.

    I like their cranks.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    mfinger1 wrote:

    > Hello all. I'm new to this forum, and probably not as familiar with
    > bicycles as some of you.
    > My question is, did SR make bicycles?
    > I know they make cranksets, headposts, seatposts, but how about bikes?
    > I've recently acquired an SR 12 speed "racing ?" bike w/27' frame, that
    > probably dates to the early '80s. It has a Shimano group set I think,
    > comprised of brake calipers and levers as well as front and rear
    > derailurs. Can anyone provide any info on an SR bike ? If it's the same
    > SR that eventually acquired Suntour?
    > Any and ALL info is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    >

    > Mike

    The "SR" mid price Japanese sport bikes of the seventies,
    built at Osaka, are an unrelated brand to SR-Sakae Ringyo
    Kaisha of Tokyo, the aluminum parts maker.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >The "SR" mid price Japanese sport bikes of the seventies,
    >built at Osaka, are an unrelated brand to SR-Sakae Ringyo
    >Kaisha of Tokyo, the aluminum parts maker.

    Sakae Ringyo did make an aluminum frame in the late 80s-early 90s.
    Phil Brown

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Phil Brown wrote:
    > Sakae Ringyo did make an aluminum frame in the late 80s-early 90s.

    That's true.
    Angel Rodriguez and I designed them in 1987. It was sold as
    the SR Prizm and Suntour Litage in both road and mountain
    models.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  6. mfinger1

    mfinger1 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    Greetings again one and all;

    Thank you for the information on my newest acquasition. This SR 12 spd. was actually trashpicked here in the Philly burbs. It looked like any regular trashed bike, filthy, caked in grease, and cobwebs, flat tires, torn seat, but what first caught my eye was the frame. Tall 27". I don't believe they're any longer made in this size, same as my early eighties Schwinn Traveler.
    Anyway, it's an SR Semi Pro. Japanese, early 80's 12
    spd..
    Seems like a nice lean performance bike for it's time. SR, from my humble understanding may have acquired Suntour.
    Don't think their bike line favored for long.
    It has the Shimano 600 group set, brakes, derailleurs, crank, precursor to
    the Ultegra line I think.
    Downtube shifters naturally.
    Except for the 27" frame, I don't think there's another bit of steel on it.
    Dropped it off at a great little bike shop yesterday in Drexel Hill, Frank
    Havnoonian, ex bike mech. to brother Harry,
    who had been a local pro rider for years. After years in Philly, Harry now
    has a big ass shop in Media. The old Schwinn
    place at 5 points I think. He has his own line of bikes.
    Was think of turning it into a hybrid, but the more I thought about it,
    nah...I already have a hybrid of sorts with the
    heavier Schwinn. Thought best to keep it as a resto rod.
    Since I mainly grip the top of the bar, I'm having them adapt brake
    extension levers to the 600 levers, replacing cables, truing the rear, replacing the bearing
    worn, non-reversible toe clip pedals with period alum. reversible ones, no
    clips though, oh, and added a kick stand. Gearing didn't need to be
    touched.
    Will wrap the bars in cotton, then a nice color tan cork wrap, nice and
    cushiony, should look nice with the "Rising Sun" red paint.
    Sweet!
    Thanks again guys! This site is great.

  7. mfinger1 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Greetings again one and all;
    >
    > Thank you for the information on my newest acquasition. This SR 12 spd.
    > was actually trashpicked here in the Philly burbs. It looked like any
    > regular trashed bike, filthy, caked in grease, and cobwebs, flat tires,
    > torn seat, but what first caught my eye was the frame. Tall 27". I don't
    > believe they're any longer made in this size, same as my early eighties
    > Schwinn Traveler.
    > Anyway, it's an SR Semi Pro. Japanese, early 80's 12
    > spd..

    Memories. My first nice bike was a SR Semipro Touring model that I
    bought for $374 in 1983. It was similar to yours, 23 inch frame,
    triple crankset, 13-34 six speed freewheel, downtube shifters, front
    and rear racks. It also had the original platform pedals. I did
    three tours on it as well as other long rides. I ruined it when I
    bought my first trainer because I realized too late how my sweat will
    rust out the frame. I stripped it and threw it out about 1997.

    Tom

  8. mfinger1

    mfinger1 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    Hello all;

    I've gleaned a little more info on SR and was wondering if anyone could collaborate.

    Here is a little blurb from the website: "In 1982, SR bicycles in San Diego, California, requested Dan to revise their best selling road bicycle model (SEMI PRO) to a touring version. Dan designed and priced the new bicycle (SEMI PRO TOURING) so well, that it turned out to be their best selling model in years."

    This page describes where SR may have originated (?)

    Any info is appreciated!

    Mike
    Philly

  9. > Here is a little blurb from the website: "In 1982, SR bicycles
    > in San Diego, California, requested Dan to revise their best
    > selling road bicycle model (SEMI PRO) to a touring version.

    I was working in Southern California at that time, and one of the
    security guards at the facility bought his SR bike to commute to work.
    He was nearly seven feet tall, and SR had a 68cm frame available on order.

  10. mfinger1

    mfinger1 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    Not std. probably custom. Not to up on my conversions. What would a 27" convert to in cm?
    But hey, was this a state side shop for SR. I heard they're originally built in Japan but not to be confused with the lightweight posts, crank SR. Comments?

    Mike
    Philly

  11. mfinger1

    mfinger1 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    27" converts to 68.5 cm? Readily available in those days. My 'ol Schwinn Traveler has the same size frame. I'm 6'3". Fits great, but aside from custom, may have been the largest std. off the shelf.
    Guess they still had to order on in from the factory.

    Mike
    Philly :cool:

  12. mfinger1

    mfinger1 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    Here is a pic of my "new" gem!

  13. Mike DeMicco

    Mike DeMicco Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    mfinger1 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I heard they're originally
    > built in Japan but not to be confused with the lightweight posts, crank
    > SR. Comments?

    I thought it was the same company (the logo looks the same, I think). I
    have an SR Alpine Pro, made in Japan, that had SR cranks, stem,
    handlebar, bottom bracket, and seatpost. The other components were
    Suntour, Araya straight sided rims, and Diacompe brakes. I have since
    changed out almost all the old components.

    It never was a very good bike though and the frame is flexy so it
    shimmies. I put fenders on it and only use it in the winter. It also has
    27" wheels instead of 700c's.

    --
    Mike DeMicco <[email protected]>
    (Remove the REMOVE_THIS from my email address to reply.)

  14. mfinger1

    mfinger1 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    This SR SemiPro's frame is solid and does not shimmy. Will be having the rear re-rimmed w/ stainless spokes and am mounting Specialized All Condition Armadillos in 27". Sweet!

  15. rsgrosch

    rsgrosch New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Schumano made the bike. there were three models. The top model was a really good bike. I've been riding mine since the 80's.

  16. Ajaxbrasil

    Ajaxbrasil New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2012
    Hello, if possible to show more photos of her (SR) closest of all the decals.

  17. rti27

    rti27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

    My old SR with a few updates. Rides like a dream.

  18. TimMoses

    TimMoses New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2013
    Hi guys.

    Here is my SR bike. I am looking to sell it if anyone is interested. Beautiful condition with all new paint job and completely clean hardware.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Honestly love these bikes. I have the bigger frame and it's so light and reliable.

  19. chuck68429

    chuck68429 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2013
    Hello everybody, This thread is right on time for me! I trash- picked an SR Campus sport about a month ago. It was totally beat, needs rims, seat, and all cables replaced. I stripped the frame and forks to bare metal and just finished painting it orange. I've got big plans for it as a retro road ride. I'll post pics when I finish it. It will be a while yet, but it will be cool!!!

  20. Papavic

    Papavic New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2013
    Ok so I have a SR semi pro aero . It has shimono6000ax componets 58cm frame. Color is silver blue. Also has a bottle holder with plastic airo dynamic design. I have polished all the components. It has all the factory stickers. Yes it's for sale , pick up only I am near Santa Rosa. Still needs new chain , back tire , handel bar tape. It has all the components look original. I can seed you pictures to your cell phone. Vdadsawdust @ gmail . com