SR: Hartman's

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mattb

Yeah, still no RRs from me, but I think my shoulder is healed enough that it's not the reason I'm
not riding. It's all the snow. So I've been skiing instead.

Saturday we only got about 1" of fresh so I decided I'd use my limited time to get out and enjoy
some good solo time at Hartman Rocks on my Nordic skis.

Skiing Hartman's is somewhere between riding and running. You get a little more of a "coast" than
running, but nothing like the rolling efficiency of riding. Anyway, I went out for a couple of hours
and worked myself pretty hard. I did what would have been a 40 Minute spin on a bike in just over
two hours on skis working hard the whole time.

A local club has groomed the jeep trails for skating, and the singletrack has been packed into ski
tracks. It was great to be out again on my favorite trails, even if the bike couldn't join me. Kill
Hill lived up to it's name and got my heart pounding right off the bat. From there I headed South
and considered Rattlesnake, but decided I shouldn't take that kind of risk alone. So I headed to Sea
of Sage (Upper Luge) and had a fun descent through the sage. The shoulder felt solid with all that
pushing with the poles. Great to be back. Once I got to the bottom of SOS I had to start heading
back to the front. The sun had dropped behind the rocks and the balmy 20's I was enjoying gave way
to the sub 10's and below. I wanted to take some photos but never wanted to take my gloves off to
fiddle with it.

Once Fruita dries up a little I may have to pack up the SS and head West. I think I'm ready.

--

Matt

"Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

Sounds like your shoulder is doing much better. Awesome!

--
monique

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yeah, still no RRs from me, but I think my shoulder is healed enough that it's not the reason I'm
> not riding. It's all the snow. So I've been skiing instead.
>
> Saturday we only got about 1" of fresh so I decided I'd use my limited
time
> to get out and enjoy some good solo time at Hartman Rocks on my Nordic
skis.
>
> Skiing Hartman's is somewhere between riding and running. You get a little more of a "coast" than
> running, but nothing like the rolling efficiency of riding. Anyway, I went out for a couple of
> hours and worked myself pretty hard. I did what would have been a 40 Minute spin on a bike in
> just over
two
> hours on skis working hard the whole time.
>
> A local club has groomed the jeep trails for skating, and the singletrack has been packed into ski
> tracks. It was great to be out again on my
favorite
> trails, even if the bike couldn't join me. Kill Hill lived up to it's name and got my heart
> pounding right off the bat. From there I headed South and considered Rattlesnake, but decided
> I shouldn't take that kind of risk alone. So I headed to Sea of Sage (Upper Luge) and had a
> fun descent
through
> the sage. The shoulder felt solid with all that pushing with the poles. Great to be back. Once I
> got to the bottom of SOS I had to start heading back to the front. The sun had dropped behind the
> rocks and the balmy 20's
I
> was enjoying gave way to the sub 10's and below. I wanted to take some photos but never wanted to
> take my gloves off to fiddle with it.
>
> Once Fruita dries up a little I may have to pack up the SS and head West.
I
> think I'm ready.
>
> --
>
> Matt
>
> "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"
>
>
You may be waiting a while. The snow has not even started to melt on the trails yet. I see more
nordic ski markings than bike tire tracks.

TJ

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Once Fruita dries up a little I may have to pack up the SS and head West.
I
> think I'm ready.

Make sure you have given yourself plenty of time to heal and don't rush into it.

- CA-G the master of unhealed injury riding...

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

MattB wrote:

> The shoulder felt solid with all that pushing with the poles. Great to be back.

Glad to hear you're back on it.

Must be nice to get snow for winter rather than endless pissing rain...

MattB wrote:
> Kill Hill lived up to it's name and got my heart pounding right off the bat.

Now me not being a skiier and all I was just wondering if you ski up Kill Hill? It sounds like you
do but, damn, it's so steep that I would think even with wax you'd go 1 step up, 2 steps back.

Greg
--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

G.T. wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>> Kill Hill lived up to it's name and got my heart pounding right off the bat.
>
> Now me not being a skiier and all I was just wondering if you ski up Kill Hill? It sounds like you
> do but, damn, it's so steep that I would think even with wax you'd go 1 step up, 2 steps back.
>
> Greg

That's why the old classic Nordic skiers had those big baggy pants. You take two steps they take
one. From there on it's only a matter of rhytm ;)

--
Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> MattB wrote:
> > Kill Hill lived up to it's name and got my heart pounding right off the bat.
>
> Now me not being a skiier and all I was just wondering if you ski up Kill Hill? It sounds like you
> do but, damn, it's so steep that I would think even with wax you'd go 1 step up, 2 steps back.

Herringbone.
--
Tom "that's my first one-word post EVER" Purvis
Salida, CO

Tom Purvis wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> MattB wrote:
>>> Kill Hill lived up to it's name and got my heart pounding right off the bat.
>>
>> Now me not being a skiier and all I was just wondering if you ski up Kill Hill? It sounds
>> like you do but, damn, it's so steep that I would think even with wax you'd go 1 step up, 2
>> steps back.
>
> Herringbone.

Yep.

MattB wrote:

> Yeah, still no RRs from me, but I think my shoulder is healed enough that it's not the reason I'm
> not riding. It's all the snow. So I've been skiing instead.
>
> Saturday we only got about 1" of fresh so I decided I'd use my limited time to get out and enjoy
> some good solo time at Hartman Rocks on my Nordic skis.
>
> Skiing Hartman's is somewhere between riding and running. You get a little more of a "coast" than
> running, but nothing like the rolling efficiency of riding. Anyway, I went out for a couple of
> hours and worked myself pretty hard. I did what would have been a 40 Minute spin on a bike in just
> over two hours on skis working hard the whole time.
>
> A local club has groomed the jeep trails for skating, and the singletrack has been packed into ski
> tracks. It was great to be out again on my favorite trails, even if the bike couldn't join me.
> Kill Hill lived up to it's name and got my heart pounding right off the bat. From there I headed
> South and considered Rattlesnake, but decided I shouldn't take that kind of risk alone. So I
> headed to Sea of Sage (Upper Luge) and had a fun descent through the sage. The shoulder felt solid
> with all that pushing with the poles. Great to be back. Once I got to the bottom of SOS I had to
> start heading back to the front. The sun had dropped behind the rocks and the balmy 20's I was
> enjoying gave way to the sub 10's and below. I wanted to take some photos but never wanted to take
> my gloves off to fiddle with it.
>
> Once Fruita dries up a little I may have to pack up the SS and head West. I think I'm ready.
>
Way to go Matt, that's real work.

I haven't been able to ride, so tonight I did what I thought I'd never do again,

I went to a buddie's thai boxing club and worked out hard for 2+hrs. He let me

spar his good fighters under the condition they didn't strike back. So I got

to chase them around the ring and work up a good sweat. A great workout. I

probably had 20yrs on almost everybody there. (And I'm sure it showed)

Last week I cross countried from my driveway around the neighborhood.

And no matter what Monique or Penny thinks, almost anything beats a gay roadie

spinning class.

You do what you can. I might even have to spin.

Get your shoulder healed up, and maybe we'll see you this summer.

paladin

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:18:35 +0100, bomba <[email protected]>
wrote:

>MattB wrote:
>
>> The shoulder felt solid with all that pushing with the poles. Great to be back.
>
>Glad to hear you're back on it.
>
>Must be nice to get snow for winter rather than endless pissing rain...

Yep, it's not fair - they get sun in the summer and snow in the winter, while we get cold rain in
the winter and slightly warmer rain in the summer (this summer excepted I guess) :-(

--
Colin Swan

Paladin wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
<snip>
> Way to go Matt, that's real work.
>
>
> I haven't been able to ride, so tonight I did what I thought I'd never do again,
>
> I went to a buddie's thai boxing club and worked out hard for 2+hrs. He let me
>
> spar his good fighters under the condition they didn't strike back.

Wow. That would be kind of fun. I sure wouldn't get in the ring if they were allowed to hit
me. Scary...

> So I got
>
> to chase them around the ring and work up a good sweat. A great workout. I
>
> probably had 20yrs on almost everybody there. (And I'm sure it showed)
>
>
> Last week I cross countried from my driveway around the neighborhood.
>
> And no matter what Monique or Penny thinks, almost anything beats a gay roadie
>
> spinning class.
>

I have to agree. I'll run in the snow or rain before I'll spin. I can't stand it, and I'm a music
snob too. Chances are they'll be playing something I really hate.

> You do what you can. I might even have to spin.
>
> Get your shoulder healed up, and maybe we'll see you this summer.
>
> paladin

Yeah, I hope so. We'll see how things pan out.

Thanks, Matt

On 2004-01-20, Paladin penned:
>
>
> I haven't been able to ride, so tonight I did what I thought I'd never do again, I went to a
> buddie's thai boxing club and worked out hard for 2+hrs. He let me spar his good fighters under
> the condition they didn't strike back. So I got to chase them around the ring and work up a good
> sweat. A great workout. I probably had 20yrs on almost everybody there. (And I'm sure it showed)
> Last week I cross countried from my driveway around the neighborhood. And no matter what Monique
> or Penny thinks, almost anything beats a gay roadie spinning class. You do what you can. I might
> even have to spin. Get your shoulder healed up, and maybe we'll see you this summer.
>

Hey now. I'd love to play that game, but I don't have any buddies who run their own martial arts
clubs. I've been burned before, so I won't go to a school that insists on contracts ... limits
choices considerably, especially when that's so common in the TKD world[1]. To my shame, I've kind
of given up on finding a school that works for me.

[1] Yes, I studied TKD for 10 years. No, I don't want to hear about how you think it's just a belt
factory kiddie art. It all depends on the instructor.

--
monique

On 2004-01-20, Colin Swan penned:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:18:35 +0100, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>MattB wrote:
>>
>>> The shoulder felt solid with all that pushing with the poles. Great to be back.
>>
>>Glad to hear you're back on it.
>>
>>Must be nice to get snow for winter rather than endless pissing rain...
>
> Yep, it's not fair - they get sun in the summer and snow in the winter, while we get cold rain in
> the winter and slightly warmer rain in the summer (this summer excepted I guess) :-(
>

Actually, we get sun in the winter, too. I love Colorado!

--
monique

Carla A-G wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Once Fruita dries up a little I may have to pack up the SS and head West. I think I'm ready.
>
> Make sure you have given yourself plenty of time to heal and don't rush into it.
>
> - CA-G the master of unhealed injury riding...
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Thanks for the concern. Just had a Doc appointment today. They say it's looking good and to keep up
the strengthing and stretching. So to me that means keep skiing and start riding when I can (and
keep doing those tedious PT exercises)!

I've been riding my townie around for a few weeks in the snow and pedaling out of the saddle feels
good now. I just need an oppurtunity to do a REAL ride and I'm there!

Matt

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> On 2004-01-20, Paladin penned:
>
>>
>>I haven't been able to ride, so tonight I did what I thought I'd never do again, I went to a
>>buddie's thai boxing club and worked out hard for 2+hrs. He let me spar his good fighters under
>>the condition they didn't strike back. So I got to chase them around the ring and work up a good
>>sweat. A great workout. I probably had 20yrs on almost everybody there. (And I'm sure it showed)
>>Last week I cross countried from my driveway around the neighborhood. And no matter what Monique
>>or Penny thinks, almost anything beats a gay roadie spinning class. You do what you can. I might
>>even have to spin. Get your shoulder healed up, and maybe we'll see you this summer.
>>
>>
>
> Hey now. I'd love to play that game, but I don't have any buddies who run their own martial arts
> clubs. I've been burned before, so I won't go to a school that insists on contracts ... limits
> choices considerably, especially when that's so common in the TKD world[1]. To my shame, I've kind
> of given up on finding a school that works for me.
>
> [1] Yes, I studied TKD for 10 years. No, I don't want to hear about how you think it's just a belt
> factory kiddie art. It all depends on the instructor.
>
LOL. I paid my dues with years in TKD. Only time I got my picture in the

nwspaper was at a point tournament where I got whipped quite soundly, but the

picture musta been cool. Your boy Hee Il Cho has taken his TKD kicks

and added the hands & knees from M/T to become a very effective fighter/

instructor.

Our version of Kata (heungs?) is 30 minutes of shin-kicking our opponents shins, thighs, ribs and
head, while he/she stands there and gets toughened up. :)

My 15yr old was in heaven.

paladin

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
berlin.de>... <snip>
> Once Fruita dries up a little I may have to pack up the SS and head West. I think I'm ready.

Galactic travels aside, I've been living up on the Grand Mesa nordic trails. You may have a bit of a
wait before popping over here for a ride.

JD

JD wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>... <snip>
>> Once Fruita dries up a little I may have to pack up the SS and head West. I think I'm ready.
>
> Galactic travels aside, I've been living up on the Grand Mesa nordic trails. You may have a bit of
> a wait before popping over here for a ride.
>
> JD

No hurry. Come on up and ski sometime if you're looking to get out...

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> JD wrote:
> > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> > berlin.de>... <snip>
> >> Once Fruita dries up a little I may have to pack up the SS and head West. I think I'm ready.
> >
> > Galactic travels aside, I've been living up on the Grand Mesa nordic trails. You may have a bit
> > of a wait before popping over here for a ride.
> >
> > JD
>
> No hurry. Come on up and ski sometime if you're looking to get out...
>
> Matt

I just might take you up on that, my friend.

JD

Status
Not open for further replies.