SRAM 10 spd - need spacer at back of cassette?

padawan

Dec 23, 2005
I've used both Shimano and Campy cassettes. I bought my first SRAM cassette because I was looking for some specific ratios. Does anyone know if you need to put the little spacer ring on the free hub - as used for Shimano cassettes - before installing the cassette?

I looked on the SRAM site and couldn't any instructions that said either way. I tried it both ways. Without the little ring, the chain line from my inner chain ring to the largest cog in the back seems to be a more drastic angle than with the Shimano 10 spd cassette. It would certainly be impossible from the outer chain ring.

Cheers,
Pad

padawan said:
I've used both Shimano and Campy cassettes. I bought my first SRAM cassette because I was looking for some specific ratios. Does anyone know if you need to put the little spacer ring on the free hub - as used for Shimano cassettes - before installing the cassette?

I looked on the SRAM site and couldn't any instructions that said either way. I tried it both ways. Without the little ring, the chain line from my inner chain ring to the largest cog in the back seems to be a more drastic angle than with the Shimano 10 spd cassette. It would certainly be impossible from the outer chain ring.

Cheers,
Pad

Do not need a spacer onto the freehub first for Sram, just shimano 10s if you are using a 8/9s freehub body.