Sram 10 Speed Cassette and Dura Ace 10 Speed

>From my research, I see that the Sram Cassette will work with Dura Ace
10 speed, but has anyone done this? I am curious how well it works.
To work is one thing, to work well and quietly is another! 11-26! How
Colorado perfect is that!
Thanks

[email protected] wrote:
> >From my research, I see that the Sram Cassette will work with Dura Ace

> 10 speed, but has anyone done this? I am curious how well it works.
> To work is one thing, to work well and quietly is another! 11-26! How
> Colorado perfect is that!
> Thanks

yes, same spacing for each, both use a 5.9mm chain.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > >From my research, I see that the Sram Cassette will work with Dura Ace

> > 10 speed, but has anyone done this? I am curious how well it works.
> > To work is one thing, to work well and quietly is another! 11-26! How
> > Colorado perfect is that!
> > Thanks

> yes, same spacing for each, both use a 5.9mm chain.

Does the "skip tooth" or whatever SRAM is calling it work well with
Shimano?

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > > 10 speed, but has anyone done this? I am curious how well it works.
> > > To work is one thing, to work well and quietly is another! 11-26! How
> > > Colorado perfect is that!
> > > Thanks

> > yes, same spacing for each, both use a 5.9mm chain.

> Does the "skip tooth" or whatever SRAM is calling it work well with
> Shimano?

It's a 'window', to allow 'faster' shifts to higher gears..seems to
work with shimano shifters/chain/ders..more gimmick than anything else
methinks.

Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> yes, same spacing for each, both use a 5.9mm chain.

uh... could I use a Campy chain...?

or

how about a left Campy brifter with a DA front derailleur...?

I just setup and began using a SRAM 11/26 in my Campy 10 system using
a Shimano DA 7700 rear hub and >2001 Campy rear derailleur. For
informational purposes, according to the instructions, this Sram
casstte is not compatible with DA 7800. It doesn't come with a 1 mm
inner spacer and doesn't need it either. My chain standard has become
the KMC DX10S, the Shimano width KMC 10 chain.

The shifting was perfect on the work stand but needed to be fine tuned
while riding. The shifts are perfect once adjusted but the adjustment
has to be precise, which is within +/- ¼ turn. A shop doing the work
would have to ride the bicycle or show the rider how to turn the rear
derailleur tension screw to get the precision.

My rings are 52/36 and I really don't need an 11. I am considering
using 48/34 for a new frame, CAAD9, that I'm getting in Feb and wanted
to check how well the Sram cassette worked. With 48/34 I won't have
to shift to the small ring on many rides I do. I'm also considering
an IRD Campy splined 11/28 but have not put it on the bike yet to
compare.

The cassette packaging is elegant and holds the cogs together with the
best system I've seen. Even better than the Campy plastic holder.
The finish on the cogs is very shiny.

Jeff wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > yes, same spacing for each, both use a 5.9mm chain.

> uh... could I use a Campy chain...?
>
> or
>
> how about a left Campy brifter with a DA front derailleur...?

Use the Campag chain and a left ERGO works with just about any
FD/chainring setup from any manufacturer-copy to Tom Sherman.....

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > > yes, same spacing for each, both use a 5.9mm chain.

> > uh... could I use a Campy chain...?
> >
> > or
> >
> > how about a left Campy brifter with a DA front derailleur...?

> Use the Campag chain and a left ERGO works with just about any
> FD/chainring setup from any manufacturer-copy to Tom Sherman.....

I don't think Campy ERGO brifters will work well on my flat bar
bicycles (both upright and recumbent) not to mention the "side-stick"
steering on my trike. ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> > Jeff wrote:

> > > uh... could I use a Campy chain...?
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > how about a left Campy brifter with a DA front derailleur...?

> > Use the Campag chain and a left ERGO works with just about any
> > FD/chainring setup from any manufacturer-copy to Tom Sherman.....

> I don't think Campy ERGO brifters will work well on my flat bar
> bicycles (both upright and recumbent) not to mention the "side-stick"
> steering on my trike. ;)

Why not? Campag falt bar shifters work great, are much cheaper than
shimano and better made. Does your trike have any shifters at all?

brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&sort=pricedesc&id=2676

> --
> Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:

> > > Use the Campag chain and a left ERGO works with just about any
> > > FD/chainring setup from any manufacturer-copy to Tom Sherman.....

> > I don't think Campy ERGO brifters will work well on my flat bar
> > bicycles (both upright and recumbent) not to mention the "side-stick"
> > steering on my trike. ;)

> Why not? Campag f[la]t bar shifters work great, are much cheaper than
> shimano and better made.

Do Campy Flat Bar shifters (for Urban Racers [1]) work with 8 and
9-speed systems, and derailers that can handle 11-34 cassettes? I
prefer 9-speed for road riding and 8-speed for off-road with their
wider chains and less fussy indexing. The Campy Flat Bar shifters also
resemble Shimano Rabidfires (sic) [2], which is one of my less favorite
Shimano products [3]. If I get a new flat-bar bike or replace the
Rabidfires, I will likely use Paul's Thumbies [4] despite their cost,
since no one makes quality thumb-shifters for 8 and 9-speed with
optional friction mode.

> Does your trike have any shifters at all?

Yes, Shimano Dura Ace 9-speed bar-ends [5]. I can shift and brake at
the same time without moving my hands from the braking position, shift
multiple gears at once, trim the front derailer, and use friction mode
if indexing goes out of adjustment on a ride. Bar-end shifters also
cost less than any integrated system (accounting for brake levers
needing to be purchased separately) and should be more durable and
reliable, since they have far fewer moving parts.

> brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&sort=pricedesc&id=2676

Keep your day job!

[1] <http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/en/2007-gruppi-EN.pdf>.
[2] I have two (2) bikes with Rabidfire shifters because that is what
the manufacturer chose.
[3] Those stupid pins instead of a "quick link" on chains being my
least favorite.
[4] <http://www.paulcomp.com/thumbmtn.html>.
[5] <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/Dragonflyer/>.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> > Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> > > I don't think Campy ERGO brifters will work well on my flat bar
> > > bicycles (both upright and recumbent) not to mention the "side-stick"
> > > steering on my trike. ;)

> > Why not? Campag f[la]t bar shifters work great, are much cheaper than
> > shimano and better made.

> Do Campy Flat Bar shifters (for Urban Racers [1]) work with 8 and
> 9-speed systems, and derailers that can handle 11-34 cassettes?

10s and long cage rear deraileur-yes for 9s...same compatibility as
Campag ERGo 10s and shimano 9s.

> prefer 9-speed for road riding and 8-speed for off-road with their
> wider chains and less fussy indexing. The Campy Flat Bar shifters also
> resemble Shimano Rabidfires (sic) [2], which is one of my less favorite
> Shimano products [3]. If I get a new flat-bar bike or replace the
> Rabidfires, I will likely use Paul's Thumbies [4] despite their cost,
> since no one makes quality thumb-shifters for 8 and 9-speed with
> optional friction mode.
>
> > Does your trike have any shifters at all?

> Yes, Shimano Dura Ace 9-speed bar-ends [5]. I can shift and brake at
> the same time without moving my hands from the braking position, shift
> multiple gears at once, trim the front derailer, and use friction mode
> if indexing goes out of adjustment on a ride. Bar-end shifters also
> cost less than any integrated system (accounting for brake levers
> needing to be purchased separately) and should be more durable and
> reliable, since they have far fewer moving parts.
>
> > brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&sort=pricedesc&id=2676

> Keep your day job!
>
> [1] <http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/en/2007-gruppi-EN.pdf>.
> [2] I have two (2) bikes with Rabidfire shifters because that is what
> the manufacturer chose.
> [3] Those stupid pins instead of a "quick link" on chains being my
> least favorite.
> [4] <http://www.paulcomp.com/thumbmtn.html>.
> [5] <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/Dragonflyer/>.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> > Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> > > I don't think Campy ERGO brifters will work well on my flat bar
> > > bicycles (both upright and recumbent) not to mention the "side-stick"
> > > steering on my trike. ;)

> > Why not? Campag f[la]t bar shifters work great, are much cheaper than
> > shimano and better made.

> Do Campy Flat Bar shifters (for Urban Racers [1]) work with 8 and
> 9-speed systems, and derailers that can handle 11-34 cassettes? I
> prefer 9-speed for road riding and 8-speed for off-road with their
> wider chains and less fussy indexing. The Campy Flat Bar shifters also
> resemble Shimano Rabidfires (sic) [2], which is one of my less favorite
> Shimano products [3]. If I get a new flat-bar bike or replace the
> Rabidfires, I will likely use Paul's Thumbies [4] despite their cost,
> since no one makes quality thumb-shifters for 8 and 9-speed with
> optional friction mode.
>
> > Does your trike have any shifters at all?

try again

http://www.ridingtoys.com/tricycles-and-wagons/tricycles/products.cfm?action=view&key=IK007

better?

> Yes, Shimano Dura Ace 9-speed bar-ends [5]. I can shift and brake at
> the same time without moving my hands from the braking position, shift
> multiple gears at once, trim the front derailer, and use friction mode
> if indexing goes out of adjustment on a ride. Bar-end shifters also
> cost less than any integrated system (accounting for brake levers
> needing to be purchased separately) and should be more durable and
> reliable, since they have far fewer moving parts.
>
> > brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&sort=pricedesc&id=2676

> Keep your day job!
>
> [1] <http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/en/2007-gruppi-EN.pdf>.
> [2] I have two (2) bikes with Rabidfire shifters because that is what
> the manufacturer chose.
> [3] Those stupid pins instead of a "quick link" on chains being my
> least favorite.
> [4] <http://www.paulcomp.com/thumbmtn.html>.
> [5] <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/Dragonflyer/>.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> > try again
> >
> > http://www.ridingtoys.com/tricycles-and-wagons/tricycles/products.cfm?action=view&key=IK007
> >
> > better?

> No - link is broken.
>
> Do you make fun of all trike riders, including Sheldon Brown [1]?

No, only making fun of you.

> [1] <http://www.sheldonbrown.org/greenspeed/>.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> > >
> > > try again
> > >
> > > http://www.ridingtoys.com/tricycles-and-wagons/tricycles/products.cfm?action=view&key=IK007
> > >
> > > better?

> > No - link is broken.
> >
> > Do you make fun of all trike riders, including Sheldon Brown [1]?

> No, only making fun of you.

That's OK then.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Campy's intention for flatbar shifters couldn't possibly be for
mountainbikes...?

I haven't seen any 135mm spaced Campy rear mountain wheels on the
market-- unless of course you swap the HG freehub off a Mavic hub.

Jeff wrote:
> Campy's intention for flatbar shifters couldn't possibly be for
> mountainbikes...?
>
> I haven't seen any 135mm spaced Campy rear mountain wheels on the
> market-- unless of course you swap the HG freehub off a Mavic hub.

Ya know, all Campag needs is a crank and 135mm rear hub but they went
down this path before, hope they don't go there again.

FYI: This set-up works extremely well. 1070 Cassette 11-26 with New
10 Speed Drivetrain.