Sram 11/26 cassette----opinions?

Peter Verdesi

Aug 26, 2004
I'm just curious what the consensus is with regards to Srams 11/26 cassette. I'm currently running a 12/25 and am happy with it but it seems like it would be nice to have the extra low and high. I was actually toying with the idea of modifying a Shimano cassette to an 11/25 (if it's possible). I'm doing the Lake Placid Ironman in July and the course has a huge down hill at the start of the 112 and 1/2 way through (it's a double loop) and about 8,000 feet of climbing for the rest of the course. For that reason I think the 11/26 would be ideal. Any opinions? I'm running a standard 53/39 front if anyone wants to know.

I switched from a shimano 12-25 to sram 11-26 because I have a compact crank. Having the 11 with the compact gives me enough gearing to hang with most of the guys with full cranks on the flats or downhill and the 26 is nice on the steep climbs in combination with the compact.

I just bought a sram 11-28 for when I have to do Burkhalter Gap in a few weeks at 3 State 3 Mountain ride. I hear there is section of the climb on Burkhalter that is 20% +/-.

Not much else I can tell you other than it works fine for my needs and since you have a full crank.

Felt_Rider said:
I switched from a shimano 12-25 to sram 11-26 because I have a compact crank. Having the 11 with the compact gives me enough gearing to hang with most of the guys with full cranks on the flats or downhill and the 26 is nice on the steep climbs in combination with the compact.

I just bought a sram 11-28 for when I have to do Burkhalter Gap in a few weeks at 3 State 3 Mountain ride. I hear there is section of the climb on Burkhalter that is 20% +/-.

Not much else I can tell you other than it works fine for my needs and since you have a full crank.
Believe you're correct on Burkhalter Gap; about 20% for the final 100 yards or so....when the devil jumps out to cheer you on, you're on it :)

I use a triple, 30/25 which gives about the same low as your 34/28. It's really not low enough for a decent cadence on a 20% grade, but what is? Coming at 80 miles into the event, after the first two big climbs doesn't make the grade any easier. No matter what gear you have, most riders are "all-in" on the steep section....or off and walking.

Oh, the rest stop at the top of the climb is great, but don't get too euphoric as you still have 15 miles of rolling hills to go before the drop off Lookout Mtn into town:)

dhk2 said:
Believe you're correct on Burkhalter Gap; about 20% for the final 100 yards or so....when the devil jumps out to cheer you on, you're on it :)

I use a triple, 30/25 which gives about the same low as your 34/28. It's really not low enough for a decent cadence on a 20% grade, but what is? Coming at 80 miles into the event, after the first two big climbs doesn't make the grade any easier. No matter what gear you have, most riders are "all-in" on the steep section....or off and walking.

Oh, the rest stop at the top of the climb is great, but don't get too euphoric as you still have 15 miles of rolling hills to go before the drop off Lookout Mtn into town:)
Are you going this year?

Obviously this is my first year and I am signed up for the full deal. We did a training ride yesterday of 80 miles and only one long climb up Ft. Mountain near Dalton, GA. At the last few miles of this 80 mile training ride going up 3 miles of only a 4% grade my legs felt like they were going to explode and I thought this is about the time I would be climbing up to Burkhalter and I was wondering if I am going to be ready for this ride. I believe I am bit behind schedule on climbing training, but I have always been a horrible climber.

Thanks for the description. It goes with what most of my riding buddies have been telling me. Most of whom do this ride every year. Some of them racing the clock to beat the previous year. For me not having to walk up Burkhalter will be my goal.

To the OP......sorry for the brief hijack :)

Felt_Rider said:
Are you going this year?

Obviously this is my first year and I am signed up for the full deal. We did a training ride yesterday of 80 miles and only one long climb up Ft. Mountain near Dalton, GA. At the last few miles of this 80 mile training ride going up 3 miles of only a 4% grade my legs felt like they were going to explode and I thought this is about the time I would be climbing up to Burkhalter and I was wondering if I am going to be ready for this ride. I believe I am bit behind schedule on climbing training, but I have always been a horrible climber.

Thanks for the description. It goes with what most of my riding buddies have been telling me. Most of whom do this ride every year. Some of them racing the clock to beat the previous year. For me not having to walk up Burkhalter will be my goal.

To the OP......sorry for the brief hijack :)
No, "have to" go off to ride in Italy next week so I won't make it this year. A few of my buds from the Spring City CC will be riding though. It is a good "challenge" event to do year after year to see if you can knock off minutes.

Believe you'll do fine on Burkhalter Gap if you just relax and go easy on the first two climbs. Key on an event with 9000+ ft of climbing is staying within your pace/FTP..... "don't go anaerobic" on the climbs, or get sucked into fast pace lines that put you over your head early. The first climb, Suck Creek, is only 4-5% but goes on forever, so just get in the groove and relax.

Be careful on the first descent as well, as there are a couple of "15 mph" hairpins that require some pretty good braking. A guy crashed in front of me a couple of years ago when the road was wet. It's dumb to take chances downhill, particularly on a fun event with no trophy or prize money. Main thing is to have a good time, enjoy the nice views and rest stops, and the 2000 other riders :)