Sram 3.0 7-speed with Shimano 8- speed?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lisated, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. lisated

    lisated Guest

    A friend has asked me to replace the gripshifter for his bike. It's a 7-speed, and I have a Shimano
    brake/shift lever (flat bar type) which is 8-speed. Will this work, ignoring the extra click?

    Thanks, Ted Bennett

    Tags:

  2. Ted Bennett wrote:

    > A friend has asked me to replace the gripshifter for his bike. It's a =

    > 7-speed, and I have a Shimano brake/shift lever (flat bar type) which i=
    s=20
    > 8-speed. Will this work, ignoring the extra click?

    No. SRAM makes two series of derailers and shifters, one series is=20 Shimano compatible, the
    other isn't.

    The ones with a decimal number (3.0, 5.0, 9.0) as a model namer are only =

    usable with each other. The corresponding shifers pull much more=20 cable per click, and the
    derailers expect that.

    It's good stuff, works great, but only with SRAM "ESP" shifters.

    Sheldon "Cyclo Benelux Also Compatible" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | I=92ll be appearing with the Sudbury Savoyards | In Gilbert & Sullivan=92s _Patience_ | February
    | 21-March 1, Sudbury, Massachusetts | http://sudburysavoyards.org |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. lisated

    lisated Guest

    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > A friend has asked me to replace the gripshifter for his bike. It's a 7-speed, and I have a
    > > Shimano brake/shift lever (flat bar type) which is 8-speed. Will this work, ignoring the extra
    > > click?
    >
    > No. SRAM makes two series of derailers and shifters, one series is Shimano compatible, the
    > other isn't.
    >
    > The ones with a decimal number (3.0, 5.0, 9.0) as a model namer are only usable with each other.
    > The corresponding shifers pull much more cable per click, and the derailers expect that.
    >
    > It's good stuff, works great, but only with SRAM "ESP" shifters.
    >
    > Sheldon "Cyclo Benelux Also Compatible" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    > | I¹ll be appearing with the Sudbury Savoyards | In Gilbert & Sullivan¹s Patience | February
    > | 21-March 1, Sudbury, Massachusetts | http://sudburysavoyards.org |

    Rats. Thanks, Sheldon.

    Enjoy your moments on stage.

    Ted "Dick Deadeye in the 7th grade" Bennett