SRAM 5.0 Cassette

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Peter, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    My bike (yeah it's not over $5K) has an SRAM 5.0 8spd Cassette. I was wondering if anybody else has
    noticed a rather big jump when switching from about the 4th to 3rd cog. I find it a large skip for a
    cassette, and it's a pain in the ass when you're climbing.

    Cheers,

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. Baxter

    Baxter Guest

    > My bike (yeah it's not over $5K) has an SRAM 5.0 8spd Cassette. I was wondering if anybody else
    > has noticed a rather big jump when switching
    from
    > about the 4th to 3rd cog. I find it a large skip for a cassette, and it's
    > pain in the ass when you're climbing.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Peter

    How many miles are on it? I replace my cassette every 1,000 miles or so (dirt miles anyway). Ramping
    problems are pretty rare on SRAM stuff from my experience and much better than Shimano under load
    (going uphill). I'm between 190 and 195 so I'm a pretty heavy load on the chain and cassette going
    uphill. I've run XT and Sram 7.0 stuff and have less problems w/the Sram.

    Greg

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Brand new. No more than 100 km on it.

  4. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > My bike (yeah it's not over $5K) has an SRAM 5.0 8spd Cassette. I was wondering if anybody else
    > has noticed a rather big jump when switching
    from
    > about the 4th to 3rd cog. I find it a large skip for a cassette, and it's
    > pain in the ass when you're climbing.

    Reinstall it on a $5K+ bike.

    Bill "it'll still be a big jump but you'll be too poor to care" S.

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 02:26:55 GMT, "Peter"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My bike (yeah it's not over $5K) has an SRAM 5.0 8spd Cassette. I was wondering if anybody else has
    >noticed a rather big jump when switching from about the 4th to 3rd cog. I find it a large skip for
    >a cassette, and it's a pain in the ass when you're climbing.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Peter

    I'm actually getting sick of saying what I'm about to say .....errr, eh, umm, so I guess I
    won't say it.

    Peace,

    :-]

  6. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My bike (yeah it's not over $5K) has an SRAM 5.0 8spd Cassette. I was wondering if anybody else has
    >noticed a rather big jump when switching from about the 4th to 3rd cog. I find it a large skip for
    >a cassette, and it's a pain in the ass when you're climbing.

    The SRAM 8 speed cassette has the same cogs as the 9 speed Shimano cassettes through most of the
    range, so I don't think there's anything "unusual" about the spacing between the gearing.

    The SRAM cassettes have 11,12, 14, 16, 18, 21. Then the 11-28 cassette goes 24, 28, while the 11-32
    cassette goes 26, 32. The 21-26 jump is pretty big (though not the one you mention), but personally
    I like the 21-26-32 progression. If it's steep enough I need those gears, I don't want tiny little
    jumps between gears anyway.