SRAM 5.0 Cassette

Peter

Guest
My bike (yeah it's not over $5K) has an SRAM 5.0 8spd Cassette. I was wondering if anybody else has
noticed a rather big jump when switching from about the 4th to 3rd cog. I find it a large skip for a
cassette, and it's a pain in the ass when you're climbing.

Cheers,

Peter

> My bike (yeah it's not over $5K) has an SRAM 5.0 8spd Cassette. I was wondering if anybody else
> has noticed a rather big jump when switching
from
> about the 4th to 3rd cog. I find it a large skip for a cassette, and it's
> pain in the ass when you're climbing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

How many miles are on it? I replace my cassette every 1,000 miles or so (dirt miles anyway). Ramping
problems are pretty rare on SRAM stuff from my experience and much better than Shimano under load
(going uphill). I'm between 190 and 195 so I'm a pretty heavy load on the chain and cassette going
uphill. I've run XT and Sram 7.0 stuff and have less problems w/the Sram.

Greg

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> My bike (yeah it's not over $5K) has an SRAM 5.0 8spd Cassette. I was wondering if anybody else
> has noticed a rather big jump when switching
from
> about the 4th to 3rd cog. I find it a large skip for a cassette, and it's
> pain in the ass when you're climbing.

Reinstall it on a $5K+ bike.

Bill "it'll still be a big jump but you'll be too poor to care" S.

On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 02:26:55 GMT, "Peter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My bike (yeah it's not over $5K) has an SRAM 5.0 8spd Cassette. I was wondering if anybody else has
>noticed a rather big jump when switching from about the 4th to 3rd cog. I find it a large skip for
>a cassette, and it's a pain in the ass when you're climbing.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Peter

I'm actually getting sick of saying what I'm about to say .....errr, eh, umm, so I guess I
won't say it.

Peace,

:-]

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My bike (yeah it's not over $5K) has an SRAM 5.0 8spd Cassette. I was wondering if anybody else has
>noticed a rather big jump when switching from about the 4th to 3rd cog. I find it a large skip for
>a cassette, and it's a pain in the ass when you're climbing.

The SRAM 8 speed cassette has the same cogs as the 9 speed Shimano cassettes through most of the
range, so I don't think there's anything "unusual" about the spacing between the gearing.

The SRAM cassettes have 11,12, 14, 16, 18, 21. Then the 11-28 cassette goes 24, 28, while the 11-32
cassette goes 26, 32. The 21-26 jump is pretty big (though not the one you mention), but personally
I like the 21-26-32 progression. If it's steep enough I need those gears, I don't want tiny little
jumps between gears anyway.