SRAM 5.0 RD vs XTR M960

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bernard Rother, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on Saturday ...... damaged
    rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last Sunday and cannot locate replacement parts on South
    Africa. LBS suggested XTR. They have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD. My cassette is an SRAM 9.0
    9 speed with 34T and a SRAM Gripshift. Will one of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other SRAM
    parts. I have max 2 days to let the dealer know in order to organise postage etc.

    Really need your help here .... thanks.

    Bernard

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Bernard Rother wrote:
    > Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on Saturday ...... damaged
    > rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last Sunday and cannot locate replacement parts on South
    > Africa. LBS suggested XTR. They have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD. My cassette is an SRAM
    > 9.0 9 speed with 34T and a SRAM Gripshift. Will one of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other
    > SRAM parts.

    No, the XTR uses a 2:1 cable pull ratio, whereas the SRAM uses 1:1. You need a SRAM rear mech.

  3. On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:13:34 +0200, bomba did issue forth:

    > No, the XTR uses a 2:1 cable pull ratio, whereas the SRAM uses 1:1. You need a SRAM rear mech.

    Unless the shifters are SRAM ESP, which use 2:1 for Shimano compatibility.

    Huw "I think..." Pritchard

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Bernard Rother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on Saturday ...... damaged
    > rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last Sunday and cannot locate replacement parts on South
    > Africa. LBS suggested XTR.
    They
    > have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD. My cassette is an SRAM 9.0 9 speed with 34T and a SRAM
    > Gripshift. Will one of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other SRAM parts. I have max 2 days to
    > let the dealer know in order to organise postage etc.
    >
    > Really need your help here .... thanks.
    >
    > Bernard

    While the XTR is a hell of a lot better than a 5.0 mech, it's not gonna work with a SRAM gripshifter
    (unless it's a special one, I think called ESP, designed for shifting Shimano parts...but if it
    were, you wouldn't be using that 5.0 now, would you).

    If you cannot get a SRAM rear, get a Shimano rear shifter to go along with that XTR derailleur.

    Chris

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Huw Pritchard wrote:

    >>No, the XTR uses a 2:1 cable pull ratio, whereas the SRAM uses 1:1. You need a SRAM rear mech.
    >

    > Unless the shifters are SRAM ESP, which use 2:1 for Shimano compatibility.
    >
    > Huw "I think..." Pritchard

    ESP is the 1:1 ratio. You can get Shimano-compatible SRAM shifters, but then they won't work with a
    SRAM rear mech. Because this guy's using SRAM shifters and mech, then it must be ESP (1:1), so an
    XTR rear mech won't work.

  6. On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:22:57 +0200, bomba did issue forth:

    > ESP is the 1:1 ratio. You can get Shimano-compatible SRAM shifters, but then they won't work with
    > a SRAM rear mech. Because this guy's using SRAM shifters and mech, then it must be ESP (1:1), so
    > an XTR rear mech won't work.

    Oh yeah. I see that clearly now.

    I'm ill, OK? That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

    Huw "Urrrrgh" Pritchard

  7. "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eTjYa.936$M6.5864[email protected]...

    > "Bernard Rother" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Hi there, just a quick, but important question. I'm entered in a ride on Saturday ...... damaged
    > > rear derailleur jockey wheels in fall last
    Sunday
    > > and cannot locate replacement parts on South Africa. LBS suggested XTR.
    > They
    > > have a Long Cage and Super Long Cage RD. My cassette is an SRAM 9.0 9 speed with 34T and a SRAM
    > > Gripshift. Will
    one
    > > of the XTR RD's be compatible with the other SRAM parts. I have max 2
    days
    > > to let the dealer know in order to organise postage etc.
    > >
    > > Really need your help here .... thanks.
    > >
    > > Bernard
    > >

    > While the XTR is a hell of a lot better than a 5.0 mech, it's not gonna
    work
    > with a SRAM gripshifter (unless it's a special one, I think called ESP, designed for shifting
    > Shimano parts...but if it were, you wouldn't be
    using
    > that 5.0 now, would you).
    >
    > If you cannot get a SRAM rear, get a Shimano rear shifter to go along with that XTR derailleur.
    >
    > Chris

    Thanks for all the feedback iro the above. We tried the XT mech with the SRAM 5.0 shifter, 1st & 2nd
    shift was ok but skipped every second cog thereafter ..... as suggested in the replies. I came home
    with a shiny new XT mech and a pair of LX rapidfire shifters. Had to leave behind the XTR and use
    the funds on the shifters ;-(

    Have just finished installing the whole lot and come back from a short ride .... what a pleasure !!
    The old SRAM 5.0's worked flawlessly until the spares dried up but this Shimano kit is like a hot
    knife through butter .... sooooo smooth. Now the sad part, the weather prediction for Saturday's
    ride is 40% rain, strong westerly wind, 3 deg C temp with snow .... darn.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Bernard