Sram 7spd shifter with Shimano Acera X derailer?

Mr. E. Mann

Guest
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of on road mountin biike riding recently and decided to do some upgrading on
my old bike. I bough some new (AVID) brakes that work great, but since the Acera shifters were
integrated into the brake levers I needed new shifters. Anyway, the only 7 speed shifters he had
were Sram grip shifters. I installed them and adjusted them according to a book I bought and various
articles on the internet, but something isn't quite right. I can't get the bike to shift into first
(on the shifter) and it skips gears, so while I'll be on the largest rear sprocket I'll still be on
2 according to the shifter. Also, the cable to the derauler is very tight when it's on the largest
gear, but then still has some play on the smallest gear. Form everything I've read this shouldn't be
like this. What seems to be happening is that the shifters are shifting too much for the derailers.
Anyway, I hope someone can give me some advice on this.

BTW, is it a big hassle to convert from a 7 speed setup to a 9 speed setup? It would be nice to have
a bike with parts that are still being made.

Thanks!

Mr. E. Mann <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing a lot of on road mountin biike riding recently and decided to do some upgrading on
> my old bike. I bough some new (AVID) brakes that work great, but since the Acera shifters were
> integrated into the brake levers I needed new shifters. Anyway, the only 7 speed shifters he had
were
> Sram grip shifters. I installed them and adjusted them according to a book I bought and various
> articles on the internet, but something isn't quite right. I can't get the bike to shift into
> first (on the shifter) and it skips gears, so while I'll be on the largest rear sprocket I'll
> still be
on
> 2 according to the shifter. Also, the cable to the derauler is very tight when it's on the largest
> gear, but then still has some play on the
smallest
> gear. Form everything I've read this shouldn't be like this. What seems to be happening is that
> the shifters are shifting too much for the derailers. Anyway, I hope someone can give me some
> advice on this.
>
> BTW, is it a big hassle to convert from a 7 speed setup to a 9 speed
setup?
> It would be nice to have a bike with parts that are still being made.
>
> Thanks!

Sounds like you may have SRAM's ESP shifters, which use a different amou8nt of cable movement per
shift than Shimano systems.

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>I've been doing a lot of on road mountin biike riding recently and decided to do some upgrading on
>>my old bike. I bough some new (AVID) brakes that work great, but since the Acera shifters were
>>integrated into the brake levers I needed new shifters. Anyway, the only 7 speed shifters he had
>
> were
>
>>Sram grip shifters. I installed them and adjusted them according to a book I bought and various
>>articles on the internet, but something isn't quite right. I can't get the bike to shift into
>>first (on the shifter) and it skips gears, so while I'll be on the largest rear sprocket I'll
>>still be
>
> on
>
>>2 according to the shifter. Also, the cable to the derauler is very tight when it's on the largest
>>gear, but then still has some play on the
>
> smallest
>
>>gear. Form everything I've read this shouldn't be like this. What seems to be happening is that
>>the shifters are shifting too much for the derailers. Anyway, I hope someone can give me some
>>advice on this.
>>
>>BTW, is it a big hassle to convert from a 7 speed setup to a 9 speed
>
> setup?
>
>>It would be nice to have a bike with parts that are still being made.
>>
>>Thanks!
>

> Sounds like you may have SRAM's ESP shifters, which use a different amou8nt of cable movement per
> shift than Shimano systems.

That could be one explanation, although weren't the old 7sp systems interchangeable (?) - I seem to
recall running an XT mech with X-Rays.

Similarly, he states that the cable is slack when in the smallest sprocket, which means that it's
not set up right either (hint: the cable should be tightened whilst in the smallest sprocket)

Converting to 9 speed is a bit of a PITA. You'll need new shifters, new chainrings, new rear mech,
new cassette, a new chain, and a new hub with freehub body which needs to be laced in to the wheel.

OTOH, upgrading to 8 speed will require a change of shifter, new freehub body and a new
cassette. I made this upgrade last summer and it was less than 100 Eur (although I already had
an 8 speed shifter).

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> >>2 according to the shifter. Also, the cable to the derauler is very
tight
> >>when it's on the largest gear, but then still has some play on the
> >
> > smallest
> >
> >>gear. Form everything I've read this shouldn't be like this. What seems
> >>be happening is that the shifters are shifting too much for the
derailers.
> >>Anyway, I hope someone can give me some advice on this.
> >>
> >>BTW, is it a big hassle to convert from a 7 speed setup to a 9 speed
> >
> > setup?
> >
> >>It would be nice to have a bike with parts that are still being made.
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >

> > Sounds like you may have SRAM's ESP shifters, which use a different
amou8nt
> > of cable movement per shift than Shimano systems.
>
> That could be one explanation, although weren't the old 7sp systems interchangeable (?) - I seem
> to recall running an XT mech with X-Rays.

I don't know for sure, hence 'sounds like' and 'may' - it was the comment about "shifters are
shifting too much for the derailers" that had me saying about ESP.

> Similarly, he states that the cable is slack when in the smallest sprocket, which means that it's
> not set up right either (hint: the cable should be tightened whilst in the smallest sprocket)

Aye - another reason I put 'may' - hard to tell from the description for sure.

> Converting to 9 speed is a bit of a PITA. You'll need new shifters, new chainrings, new rear
> mech, new cassette, a new chain, and a new hub with freehub body which needs to be laced in to
> the wheel.

I upgraded from 7 to 9 - I built a whole new bike ',;~}

Shaun aRe

Try adjusting the deraliur lower stop. There are two screws that allow for high, and low limit.
Check the cage alignment. And make sure that the clearance from cage to big ring is set properly.

TJ

"Mr. E. Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing a lot of on road mountin biike riding recently and decided to do some upgrading on
> my old bike. I bough some new (AVID) brakes that work great, but since the Acera shifters were
> integrated into the brake levers I needed new shifters. Anyway, the only 7 speed shifters he had
were
> Sram grip shifters. I installed them and adjusted them according to a book I bought and various
> articles on the internet, but something isn't quite right. I can't get the bike to shift into
> first (on the shifter) and it skips gears, so while I'll be on the largest rear sprocket I'll
> still be
on
> 2 according to the shifter. Also, the cable to the derauler is very tight when it's on the largest
> gear, but then still has some play on the
smallest
> gear. Form everything I've read this shouldn't be like this. What seems to be happening is that
> the shifters are shifting too much for the derailers. Anyway, I hope someone can give me some
> advice on this.
>
> BTW, is it a big hassle to convert from a 7 speed setup to a 9 speed
setup?
> It would be nice to have a bike with parts that are still being made.
>
> Thanks!

Thanks Everyone. I spent most of last weekend playing with the low and high stop settings for the
rear derauler and haven't had much luck. I'm going to bring it by the local bike shop this weekend
and see if they can get it straightened out. If not, it looks like it's time for a fairly big
upgrade. If those shifters aren't compatable with my bike I will be asking for a refund since the
guy at the shop actualy took a look at my bike before recommending them. New wheels, cranks, and
pretty much everything else are in the plans, but I was hoping to put them off for a few weeks.

BTW, is there a preferred online bike shop that people order from? I'm in So. Cal.

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Try adjusting the deraliur lower stop. There are two screws that allow for high, and low limit.
> Check the cage alignment. And make sure that the clearance from cage to big ring is set properly.
>
> TJ
>

> "Mr. E. Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been doing a lot of on road mountin biike riding recently and decided to do some upgrading
>> on my old bike. I bough some new (AVID) brakes that work great, but since the Acera shifters were
>> integrated into the brake levers I needed new shifters. Anyway, the only 7 speed shifters he had
> were
>> Sram grip shifters. I installed them and adjusted them according to a book I bought and various
>> articles on the internet, but something isn't quite right. I can't get the bike to shift into
>> first (on the shifter) and it skips gears, so while I'll be on the largest rear sprocket I'll
>> still be
> on
>> 2 according to the shifter. Also, the cable to the derauler is very tight when it's on the
>> largest gear, but then still has some play on the
> smallest
>> gear. Form everything I've read this shouldn't be like this. What seems to be happening is that
>> the shifters are shifting too much for the derailers. Anyway, I hope someone can give me some
>> advice on this.
>>
>> BTW, is it a big hassle to convert from a 7 speed setup to a 9 speed
> setup?
>> It would be nice to have a bike with parts that are still being made.
>>
>> Thanks!

If not, it looks like it's time for a fairly big upgrade.
> If those shifters aren't compatable with my bike I will be asking for a refund since the guy at
> the shop actualy took a look at my bike before recommending them. New wheels, cranks, and pretty
> much everything else are in the plans, but I was hoping to put them off for a few weeks.

Don't straight out ask for a refund, that'll probably just **** of the wrench (even though it was,
it seems, his fault). Ask instead if the price of the shifters can be deducted from the 8- or
9-speed kit you buying from him...little things like that make shop dudes happy, and they'll
remember you. Over time, it'll pay off. Put the shifters on Ebay, you never know: someone could want
some 7-speed SRAM stuff.

> BTW, is there a preferred online bike shop that people order from? I'm in So. Cal.

Again, stick with the LBS if you can, but if you must go online, check out JensonUSA.com and
Pricepoint.com for ridiculous deals. Don't expect a lot of these prices to carry over to your LBS,
things are always more expensive at real stores. Just don't be the guy that goes into the store
nitpicking every item..."$40? But I saw it online for 29.98..." Don't be that guy.

Chris

"Mr. E. Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing a lot of on road mountin biike riding recently and decided to do some upgrading on
> my old bike. I bough some new (AVID) brakes that work great, but since the Acera shifters were
> integrated into the brake levers I needed new shifters. Anyway, the only 7 speed shifters he had
> were Sram grip shifters. I installed them and adjusted them according to a book I bought and
> various articles on the internet, but something isn't quite right. I can't get the bike to shift
> into first (on the shifter) and it skips gears, so while I'll be on the largest rear sprocket I'll
> still be on 2 according to the shifter. Also, the cable to the derauler is very tight when it's on
> the largest gear, but then still has some play on the smallest gear. Form everything I've read
> this shouldn't be like this. What seems to be happening is that the shifters are shifting too much
> for the derailers. Anyway, I hope someone can give me some advice on this.
>
> BTW, is it a big hassle to convert from a 7 speed setup to a 9 speed setup? It would be nice to
> have a bike with parts that are still being made.
>
> Thanks!

General rule of thumb for those shifters is you also have to get a SRAM rear derraileur. You could
probably jury-rig it and fake it if you're really good, but when I put gripshift on one of my
bikes, I surrendered and tossed my xt rear derraileur for a SRAM and it works fine. (most of the
time, anyway)

Paladin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paladin" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike Sent:
Wednesday, February 05, 2003 11:06 PM Subject: Re: Sram 7spd shifter with Shimano Acera X derailer?

> "Mr. E. Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been doing a lot of on road mountin biike riding recently and
decided
> > to do some upgrading on my old bike. I bough some new (AVID) brakes that work great, but since
> > the Acera shifters were integrated into the brake levers I needed new shifters. Anyway, the only
> > 7 speed shifters he had
were
> > Sram grip shifters. I installed them and adjusted them according to a
book
> > I bought and various articles on the internet, but something isn't quite right. I can't get the
> > bike to shift into first (on the shifter) and it skips gears, so while I'll be on the largest
> > rear sprocket I'll still be
on
> > 2 according to the shifter. Also, the cable to the derauler is very
tight
> > when it's on the largest gear, but then still has some play on the
smallest
> > gear. Form everything I've read this shouldn't be like this. What seems
> > be happening is that the shifters are shifting too much for the
derailers.
> > Anyway, I hope someone can give me some advice on this.
> >
> > BTW, is it a big hassle to convert from a 7 speed setup to a 9 speed
setup?
> > It would be nice to have a bike with parts that are still being made.
> >
> > Thanks!
>

> General rule of thumb for those shifters is you also have to get a SRAM rear derraileur. You could
> probably jury-rig it and fake it if you're really good, but when I put gripshift on one of my
> bikes, I surrendered and tossed my xt rear derraileur for a SRAM and it works fine. (most of the
> time, anyway)

The shifter / mech combination should work fine UNLESS the shifter is an ESP type shifter - I'll say
that on it and AFAICR they didn't come in 7 speed anyway.

Sounds to me like the indexing is out (the slack cable in smallest cog is a giveaway - it shouldn't
be slack) - this can be adjusted either by undoing the clamp on the cable and retightening or for
finer adjustments which it sounds like you need you nee to turn the barrel adjuster on the shifter
(screw it out a turn or two) which can be found just where the cable leave the shifter and looks
like a knurled nut.

If this isn't clear look at the article on indexing gears at www.sheldonbrown.com

HTH

Russ

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:33:01 GMT, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

> Again, stick with the LBS if you can, but if you must go online, check out JensonUSA.com and
> Pricepoint.com for ridiculous deals. Don't expect a lot of these prices to carry over to your LBS,
> things are always more expensive at real stores. Just don't be the guy that goes into the store
> nitpicking every item..."$40? But I saw it online for 29.98..." Don't be that guy.
>
> Chris

Hmmm, I might be that guy. DOH!

I mean, I don't usually haggle prices with the LBS, but I'm ALWAYS in there pawing thru the pile of
used parts for SS gear. Used riser bars, used derailleur for a chain tensioner, etc.

I do what I can to keep the bike running on a budget.

Thanks Everyone! I finally decided that it just wasn't worth it to try to fix up this old bike
and bought a Specialized Hardrock for $309. Ok, I had a little help deciding to buy a new bike
when I accidentally pulled on my (recently installed) front Avid brakes. To put it simply, they
worked a little better than the old ones and I tore up my bike (seat, grips and brake levers) a
bit when I went over the handlebars on the street. Anyway, I love the new bike. I've put street
tires on it (Armadillo 1.5"s @ $30.00 each)and will be putting on my specialized platform pedals
from the old bike.