SRAM 9 Spd Powerlink work with 10 Spd Chains?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by JTE83, Feb 20, 2005.

1. JTE83

JTE83 Member

Does the 9 speed SRAM Powerlink work with 10 Spd Chains? Has anyone tried this ? It would only result in one link being a bit too wide in a 10 speed setup -- but the ability to break your chain and reinstall it after cleaning is very handy. If I could get a SRAM 10 speed chain then I would go with 10 speed groups, but now I stay with 9 speed groups just because of the chain !
    And I'm currently getting 9 speed parts for a bike I'm going to build.

To see what it looks like -- http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=CH608Z00

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

It's possible,but likely not wise due to the differences in chain widths. There are 10 speed chains with links,and a connex 10 link works on campy 10 chains. A 10 speed connex link is also said to work on a shimano 10 chain.FWIW, a chain can be cleaned perfectly adequately without breaking it.

3. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I guess the Wipperman 10 Speed Connex Link is just like the 9 Speed SRAM Powerlink - it makes you break and reinstall the chain. Now that I know about this 10 speed link - I might consider going 10 speed for my new bike - a custom built 2005 Kestrel Talon Aero. But all of my 3 current road bikes are 9 speed Shimano.

I like breaking my chain to clean it. I use Pedros Chain lube as a cleaner since it really dissolves the gunk easily.

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

That should read: the link allows removing the chain without breaking it.