SRAM Apex and Shimano

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
Anybody tried sram apex RD medium cage with 11/32 cassette and Shimano Ultegra STI's?

rparedes said:
Anybody tried sram apex RD medium cage with 11/32 cassette and Shimano Ultegra STI's?

shimano STI not compatible with sram Rders. BUT, according to Lennard Zin, and I looked at his setup, Campagnolo 10s ERGO with sram road RD shifts shimano/sram 10s spacing...

Peter@vecchios said:
shimano STI not compatible with sram Rders. BUT, according to Lennard Zin, and I looked at his setup, Campagnolo 10s ERGO with sram road RD shifts shimano/sram 10s spacing...

Hmm... I thought I read somewhere that RD's don't care what shifter is used, the movement is controlled by the amount of cable pull which in turn is dictated by the shifter... But that's why I wanted to confirm, thanks!

rparedes said:
Hmm... I thought I read somewhere that RD's don't care what shifter is used, the movement is controlled by the amount of cable pull which in turn is dictated by the shifter... But that's why I wanted to confirm, thanks!

How much an RD moves per unit of cable pulled is a function of RD geometry. Some RD's have geometry close enough to another brand's model that they'll work as replacement, but this is certainly not always the case.

rparedes said:

Yep, the 'spool' in the shifter, being a certain diameter, and the dimension of the RDer, determines how much the RDer moves and with shimano and sram, the spool size and rear dimensions, are different.