SRAM Attack vs. SRAM 9.0

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Cletus D . Lee, Mar 7, 2003.

  1. My Bacchetta Giro came with SRAM Attack shifters and on the back a Shimano Deore LX derailleur. I
    got a 'wild hair' recently and replaced my original SRAM Attack Shifter with a SRAM 9.0. So far I
    have been unable to get the rear derailleur (Shimano Deore LX) to mesh with the new shifter. The
    SRAM 9.0 shifts from 9-3 and runs out of cable. I can adjust it to span all 9 cogs but the
    shifter moves only in the 9 to 3 range. So, wiseacres, what are my options? Why is this new
    Shifter not working?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

    Tags:

  2. Caravan

    Caravan Guest

    Cletus, The SRAM "*.0" stuff is ESP compatible. The Attack shifter is Shimano compatible if it
    shifts the rear LX derailleur. Try changing to SRAM Rocket (half-pipe or the full grip version)
    shifters and shifting will be slicker than owl snot. Of course, you can always change the rear to
    a SRAM *.0.

    Gene RANS V-Rex Ult fr and XTR rear mech SRAM Rocket shifters

  3. Skip

    Skip Guest

    I can give you hope because I had that combination on a GRR and it can be made to work The SRAM 9.0
    was new one the market at the time and my bike shop had a difficult time getting it indexed (the one
    to one ratio maybe). Took several trips to be bike shop to get it where it would work reasonably
    well. Finally I traded the 9.0 for some Shimano thumb shifters and run them on the friction mode and
    of course that is totally trouble free and smooth as silk, but waaaaay out of style. I don't think
    you or anyone else in this newsgroup wants to be that retro, so chin up Cletus, keep fiddling with
    it cause you can make it index pretty good.

    Skip

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > My Bacchetta Giro came with SRAM Attack shifters and on the back a Shimano Deore LX derailleur. I
    > got a 'wild hair' recently and replaced my original SRAM Attack Shifter with a SRAM 9.0. So far I
    > have been unable to get the rear derailleur (Shimano Deore LX) to mesh with the new shifter. The
    > SRAM 9.0 shifts from 9-3 and runs out of cable. I can adjust it to span all 9 cogs but the shifter
    > moves only in the 9 to 3 range. So, wiseacres, what are my options? Why is this new Shifter not
    > working?

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. J. Morris

    J. Morris Guest

    Cletus D. Lee wrote in message ...

    SRAM Attack shifters and on the back a
    >Shimano Deore LX derailleur. I got a 'wild hair' recently and replaced my original SRAM Attack
    >Shifter with a SRAM 9.0.

    The SRAM 9.0 is ESP and will not pull the LX derailleur in the correct ratio. You either get an ESP
    rear deraileur or different shifters... John.

  5. On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 21:36:41 -0600, "skip" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I can give you hope because I had that combination on a GRR and it can be made to work

    You got an ESP shifter to work with a Shimano derailleur? I find that hard to believe - there's a
    factor of 2 difference in cable travel.

    I second the recommendation for Rocket shifters. I love mine.

  6. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Hey Cletus D!

    How do you like your Bacchetta? I've had mine for a year, and think it is just the sweetest ride out there. Nothing handles like these Bacchettas, and I've ridden darn near everything. (One safety note: the pivot bolt on the steerer needs some lok-tite!)

    I swapped out the Kendas for Conti Grand Prix's. The Conti's are quite a bit faster on the road than the Kendas, but the Kendas aren't quite as squirrely on the looser gravel of some trails (although the Conti's manage very well on most gravel trails).

    Like the other guys have said, the ESP shifters aren't compatible with Shimano components, although Skip's solution with the friction shifters would work. NO Indexing though!!!

    Get a pair of the SRAM Rockets if you want surer shifting. These shifters are fantastic. The Shortys will fit just perfectly.

    If you want to go the ESP route, the 9.0's work quite well (I have a set on my Klein MTB). If you want to shift as slick as "Owl Snot" though, try the Rockets with an XTR derailleur!

    R2

  7. Nigey

    Nigey Guest

    Cletus,

    As other have noticed, the amount of pull on the SRAM 9.0 (esp) shifters is not conducive with a
    Shimano shifter. On the negative side, it means either you ditch those shifters and go with another
    Shimano compatible pair, or you'll have to buy an SRAM esp compatible rear derailleur.

    On the positive side, I have the SRAM 9.0 esp stuff on my mtb bike, and I wouldn't have anything
    else; the shifting and reliability is really excellent.

    If you like the Gripshift operating model, my advice would be to bite the bullet and get an SRAM
    rear derailleur, or buy some new SRAM Shimano compatible shifters -if you're more of a Rapidfire
    person, just get some new RapidFire shifters.

    cheers

    Nige

  8. Skip

    Skip Guest

    I have rescanned some of my previously damaged brain cells and now I'm seeming to remember that
    there was a Campy derailleur on that bike prior to the LX being there. Surely then it was Campy
    piece that we had trouble indexing with the 9.0 unit.

    Thanks for the correction Ken. Cletus I hope you didn't continue trying to make this combination
    work because of what I said. BTW it didn't work well with Campy derailleur either.

    "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]t...
    > On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 21:36:41 -0600, "skip" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I can give you hope because I had that combination on a GRR and it can
    be
    > >made to work
    >
    > You got an ESP shifter to work with a Shimano derailleur? I find that hard to believe - there's a
    > factor of 2 difference in cable travel.
    >
    > I second the recommendation for Rocket shifters. I love mine.
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

  9. Cletus, the other responses have told you the correct thing, that the
    9. shifters are not Shimano compatible.

    There is in fact a really simple rule at work here:

    All SRAM shifters that have numbers (e.g. 5.0, 7.0, 9.0) are NOT Shimano compatible. All SRAM
    shifters that have names (e.g. Attack, Rocket etc.) ARE Shimano compatible.

    Easy.

  10. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    In addition to Andrew Douglas' info, the older shifters that end in 00 are also Shimano compatible (400, 600, 800, etc).
    :)

  11. "Andrew Douglas" skrev ...
    > Cletus, the other responses have told you the correct thing, that the
    > 9. shifters are not Shimano compatible.
    >
    > There is in fact a really simple rule at work here:
    >
    > All SRAM shifters that have numbers (e.g. 5.0, 7.0, 9.0) are NOT Shimano compatible. All SRAM
    > shifters that have names (e.g. Attack, Rocket etc.) ARE Shimano compatible.
    >
    > Easy.

    But someone always has another question. ;-)

    Are my Sram Centera shifters Shimano-compatible?

    Mikael

  12. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    > Are my Sram Centera shifters Shimano-compatible?

    Yes Mikael, they are Shimano compatible.

  13. "Mikael Seierup" skrev

    > But someone always has another question. ;-)
    >
    > Are my Sram Centera shifters Shimano-compatible?

    Ah nevermind... they are. Just my LBS confusing me by calling them 5.0 shifters.

    M.

  14. In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
    > Hey Cletus D!
    >
    > How do you like your Bacchetta? I've had mine for a year, and think it is just the sweetest ride
    > out there. Nothing handles like these Bacchettas, and I've ridden darn near everything. (One
    > safety note: the pivot bolt on the steerer needs some lok-tite!)
    >
    > I swapped out the Kendas for Conti Grand Prix's. The Conti's are quite a bit faster on the road
    > than the Kendas, but the Kendas aren't quite as squirrely on the looser gravel of some trails
    > (although the Conti's manage very well on most gravel trails).
    >
    > Like the other guys have said, the ESP shifters aren't compatible with Shimano components...

    Thanks all for the Education in SRAM Shifters. Shimano is (for me) a lot like Microsoft. I try not
    to give them any more of my business if there is a viable alternative. So, I guess I am going to be
    shopping next for a new SRAM 9.0 or equivalent rear derailleur.

    As for the Bacchetta Giro, I am quite happy with it after 5 months and 1700 miles. It gets about
    twice the mileage as the Voyager (Commuting) and I plan to take the Giro on a self contained weekend
    trip locally in the next month or so.

    Here is a recent pic of the Giro set up for tour.

    http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg

    Like you, I have shed my Kenda Kwest tires. Currently, I am running Vred S-licks on the front and a
    Schwalbe Stelvio.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  15. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Are my Sram Centera shifters Shimano-compatible?

    Yes. If you go to the SRAM site and look at product info, they're listed under "compatible shifters"
    along with the Rocket, et.al.

  16. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Cletus D. wrote:
    >As for the Bacchetta Giro, I am quite happy with it after 5 months and 1700 miles. It gets about
    twice the mileage as the Voyager (Commuting) and I plan to take the Giro on a self contained weekend
    trip locally in the next month or so.

    Nice pic. Have fun on the tour!!
    BTW, the Rans large seat bag fits on the Bacchettas. :)
    R2

  17. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Andrew Douglas wrote:
    > Cletus, the other responses have told you the correct thing, that the 9.0 shifters are not
    > Shimano compatible.
    >
    > There is in fact a really simple rule at work here:
    >
    > All SRAM shifters that have numbers (e.g. 5.0, 7.0, 9.0) are NOT Shimano compatible. All SRAM
    > shifters that have names (e.g. Attack, Rocket etc.) ARE Shimano compatible.

    Ah, but I have SRAM 7.0 shifters on my V-Rex, and an XT derailleur. But the shifters were marketed
    before they came out with the ESP stuff... So the rule is only for the newer stuff.

  18. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Cletus, That bike looks really well set up. What's the thing from the front brake boss to the quick
    release? bill g

    "Cletus D. Lee" wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
    > > Hey Cletus D!
    > >
    > > How do you like your Bacchetta? I've had mine for a year, and think it is just the sweetest ride
    > > out there. Nothing handles like these Bacchettas, and I've ridden darn near everything. (One
    > > safety note: the pivot bolt on the steerer needs some lok-tite!)
    > >
    > > I swapped out the Kendas for Conti Grand Prix's. The Conti's are quite a bit faster on the road
    > > than the Kendas, but the Kendas aren't quite as squirrely on the looser gravel of some trails
    > > (although the Conti's manage very well on most gravel trails).
    > >
    > > Like the other guys have said, the ESP shifters aren't compatible with Shimano components...
    >
    > Thanks all for the Education in SRAM Shifters. Shimano is (for me) a lot like Microsoft. I try not
    > to give them any more of my business if there is a viable alternative. So, I guess I am going to
    > be shopping next for a new SRAM 9.0 or equivalent rear derailleur.
    >
    > As for the Bacchetta Giro, I am quite happy with it after 5 months and 1700 miles. It gets about
    > twice the mileage as the Voyager (Commuting) and I plan to take the Giro on a self contained
    > weekend trip locally in the next month or so.
    >
    > Here is a recent pic of the Giro set up for tour.
    >
    > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg
    >
    > Like you, I have shed my Kenda Kwest tires. Currently, I am running Vred S-licks on the front and
    > a Schwalbe Stelvio.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  19. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Cletus, That bike looks really well set up. What's the thing from the front brake boss to the
    > quick release? bill g
    >
    > "Cletus D. Lee" wrote:
    > >

    > > Here is a recent pic of the Giro set up for tour.
    > >
    > > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg

    I'm not clear what you mean? Front brake boss to Q/R (on the stem?) is all stock. There is a little
    black wire that runs down to and along the Fr. Derailleur cable for the Cadence pick-up. Another
    black with wrapped around the front brake cable and follows the front brakce across to the computer
    pick-up on the left side near the front brake boss.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  20. On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 20:27:26 -0600, Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg
    >>
    >> That bike looks really well set up. What's the thing from the front brake boss to the quick
    >> release?
    >
    > I'm not clear what you mean? Front brake boss to Q/R (on the stem?) is all stock. There is a
    > little black wire that runs down to and along the Fr. Derailleur cable for the Cadence pick-up.
    > Another black with wrapped around the front brake cable and follows the front brakce across to the
    > computer pick-up on the left side near the front brake boss.

    I think he means the metal wire/rod in front of and parallel to the fork. Looks like a support for
    the fender to me.