SRAM Attack vs. SRAM 9.0

Cletus D . Lee

Guest
My Bacchetta Giro came with SRAM Attack shifters and on the back a Shimano Deore LX derailleur. I
got a 'wild hair' recently and replaced my original SRAM Attack Shifter with a SRAM 9.0. So far I
have been unable to get the rear derailleur (Shimano Deore LX) to mesh with the new shifter. The
SRAM 9.0 shifts from 9-3 and runs out of cable. I can adjust it to span all 9 cogs but the
shifter moves only in the 9 to 3 range. So, wiseacres, what are my options? Why is this new
Shifter not working?

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus, The SRAM "*.0" stuff is ESP compatible. The Attack shifter is Shimano compatible if it
shifts the rear LX derailleur. Try changing to SRAM Rocket (half-pipe or the full grip version)
shifters and shifting will be slicker than owl snot. Of course, you can always change the rear to
a SRAM *.0.

Gene RANS V-Rex Ult fr and XTR rear mech SRAM Rocket shifters

I can give you hope because I had that combination on a GRR and it can be made to work The SRAM 9.0
was new one the market at the time and my bike shop had a difficult time getting it indexed (the one
to one ratio maybe). Took several trips to be bike shop to get it where it would work reasonably
well. Finally I traded the 9.0 for some Shimano thumb shifters and run them on the friction mode and
of course that is totally trouble free and smooth as silk, but waaaaay out of style. I don't think
you or anyone else in this newsgroup wants to be that retro, so chin up Cletus, keep fiddling with
it cause you can make it index pretty good.

Skip

news:[email protected]...

Cletus D. Lee wrote in message ...

SRAM Attack shifters and on the back a
>Shimano Deore LX derailleur. I got a 'wild hair' recently and replaced my original SRAM Attack
>Shifter with a SRAM 9.0.

The SRAM 9.0 is ESP and will not pull the LX derailleur in the correct ratio. You either get an ESP
rear deraileur or different shifters... John.

Hey Cletus D!

How do you like your Bacchetta? I've had mine for a year, and think it is just the sweetest ride out there. Nothing handles like these Bacchettas, and I've ridden darn near everything. (One safety note: the pivot bolt on the steerer needs some lok-tite!)

I swapped out the Kendas for Conti Grand Prix's. The Conti's are quite a bit faster on the road than the Kendas, but the Kendas aren't quite as squirrely on the looser gravel of some trails (although the Conti's manage very well on most gravel trails).

Like the other guys have said, the ESP shifters aren't compatible with Shimano components, although Skip's solution with the friction shifters would work. NO Indexing though!!!

Get a pair of the SRAM Rockets if you want surer shifting. These shifters are fantastic. The Shortys will fit just perfectly.

If you want to go the ESP route, the 9.0's work quite well (I have a set on my Klein MTB). If you want to shift as slick as "Owl Snot" though, try the Rockets with an XTR derailleur!

R2

Cletus,

As other have noticed, the amount of pull on the SRAM 9.0 (esp) shifters is not conducive with a
Shimano shifter. On the negative side, it means either you ditch those shifters and go with another
Shimano compatible pair, or you'll have to buy an SRAM esp compatible rear derailleur.

On the positive side, I have the SRAM 9.0 esp stuff on my mtb bike, and I wouldn't have anything
else; the shifting and reliability is really excellent.

If you like the Gripshift operating model, my advice would be to bite the bullet and get an SRAM
rear derailleur, or buy some new SRAM Shimano compatible shifters -if you're more of a Rapidfire
person, just get some new RapidFire shifters.

cheers

Nige

I have rescanned some of my previously damaged brain cells and now I'm seeming to remember that
there was a Campy derailleur on that bike prior to the LX being there. Surely then it was Campy
piece that we had trouble indexing with the 9.0 unit.

Thanks for the correction Ken. Cletus I hope you didn't continue trying to make this combination
work because of what I said. BTW it didn't work well with Campy derailleur either.

"Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 21:36:41 -0600, "skip" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I can give you hope because I had that combination on a GRR and it can
be
> >made to work
>
> You got an ESP shifter to work with a Shimano derailleur? I find that hard to believe - there's a
> factor of 2 difference in cable travel.
>
> I second the recommendation for Rocket shifters. I love mine.
>
> Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

Cletus, the other responses have told you the correct thing, that the
9. shifters are not Shimano compatible.

There is in fact a really simple rule at work here:

All SRAM shifters that have numbers (e.g. 5.0, 7.0, 9.0) are NOT Shimano compatible. All SRAM
shifters that have names (e.g. Attack, Rocket etc.) ARE Shimano compatible.

Easy.

In addition to Andrew Douglas' info, the older shifters that end in 00 are also Shimano compatible (400, 600, 800, etc).
:)

"Andrew Douglas" skrev ...
> Cletus, the other responses have told you the correct thing, that the
> 9. shifters are not Shimano compatible.
>
> There is in fact a really simple rule at work here:
>
> All SRAM shifters that have numbers (e.g. 5.0, 7.0, 9.0) are NOT Shimano compatible. All SRAM
> shifters that have names (e.g. Attack, Rocket etc.) ARE Shimano compatible.
>
> Easy.

But someone always has another question. ;-)

Are my Sram Centera shifters Shimano-compatible?

Mikael

> Are my Sram Centera shifters Shimano-compatible?

Yes Mikael, they are Shimano compatible.

"Mikael Seierup" skrev

> But someone always has another question. ;-)
>
> Are my Sram Centera shifters Shimano-compatible?

Ah nevermind... they are. Just my LBS confusing me by calling them 5.0 shifters.

M.

In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
> Hey Cletus D!
>
> How do you like your Bacchetta? I've had mine for a year, and think it is just the sweetest ride
> out there. Nothing handles like these Bacchettas, and I've ridden darn near everything. (One
> safety note: the pivot bolt on the steerer needs some lok-tite!)
>
> I swapped out the Kendas for Conti Grand Prix's. The Conti's are quite a bit faster on the road
> than the Kendas, but the Kendas aren't quite as squirrely on the looser gravel of some trails
> (although the Conti's manage very well on most gravel trails).
>
> Like the other guys have said, the ESP shifters aren't compatible with Shimano components...

Thanks all for the Education in SRAM Shifters. Shimano is (for me) a lot like Microsoft. I try not
to give them any more of my business if there is a viable alternative. So, I guess I am going to be
shopping next for a new SRAM 9.0 or equivalent rear derailleur.

As for the Bacchetta Giro, I am quite happy with it after 5 months and 1700 miles. It gets about
twice the mileage as the Voyager (Commuting) and I plan to take the Giro on a self contained weekend
trip locally in the next month or so.

Here is a recent pic of the Giro set up for tour.

http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg

Like you, I have shed my Kenda Kwest tires. Currently, I am running Vred S-licks on the front and a
Schwalbe Stelvio.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

news:<[email protected]>...

> Are my Sram Centera shifters Shimano-compatible?

Yes. If you go to the SRAM site and look at product info, they're listed under "compatible shifters"
along with the Rocket, et.al.

Cletus D. wrote:
>As for the Bacchetta Giro, I am quite happy with it after 5 months and 1700 miles. It gets about
twice the mileage as the Voyager (Commuting) and I plan to take the Giro on a self contained weekend
trip locally in the next month or so.

Nice pic. Have fun on the tour!!
BTW, the Rans large seat bag fits on the Bacchettas. :)
R2

Andrew Douglas wrote:
> Cletus, the other responses have told you the correct thing, that the 9.0 shifters are not
> Shimano compatible.
>
> There is in fact a really simple rule at work here:
>
> All SRAM shifters that have numbers (e.g. 5.0, 7.0, 9.0) are NOT Shimano compatible. All SRAM
> shifters that have names (e.g. Attack, Rocket etc.) ARE Shimano compatible.

Ah, but I have SRAM 7.0 shifters on my V-Rex, and an XT derailleur. But the shifters were marketed
before they came out with the ESP stuff... So the rule is only for the newer stuff.

Cletus, That bike looks really well set up. What's the thing from the front brake boss to the quick
release? bill g

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...
> > Hey Cletus D!
> >
> > How do you like your Bacchetta? I've had mine for a year, and think it is just the sweetest ride
> > out there. Nothing handles like these Bacchettas, and I've ridden darn near everything. (One
> > safety note: the pivot bolt on the steerer needs some lok-tite!)
> >
> > I swapped out the Kendas for Conti Grand Prix's. The Conti's are quite a bit faster on the road
> > than the Kendas, but the Kendas aren't quite as squirrely on the looser gravel of some trails
> > (although the Conti's manage very well on most gravel trails).
> >
> > Like the other guys have said, the ESP shifters aren't compatible with Shimano components...
>
> Thanks all for the Education in SRAM Shifters. Shimano is (for me) a lot like Microsoft. I try not
> to give them any more of my business if there is a viable alternative. So, I guess I am going to
> be shopping next for a new SRAM 9.0 or equivalent rear derailleur.
>
> As for the Bacchetta Giro, I am quite happy with it after 5 months and 1700 miles. It gets about
> twice the mileage as the Voyager (Commuting) and I plan to take the Giro on a self contained
> weekend trip locally in the next month or so.
>
> Here is a recent pic of the Giro set up for tour.
>
> http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg
>
> Like you, I have shed my Kenda Kwest tires. Currently, I am running Vred S-licks on the front and
> a Schwalbe Stelvio.

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

> Cletus, That bike looks really well set up. What's the thing from the front brake boss to the
> quick release? bill g
>
> "Cletus D. Lee" wrote:
> >

> > Here is a recent pic of the Giro set up for tour.
> >
> > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg

I'm not clear what you mean? Front brake boss to Q/R (on the stem?) is all stock. There is a little
black wire that runs down to and along the Fr. Derailleur cable for the Cadence pick-up. Another
black with wrapped around the front brake cable and follows the front brakce across to the computer
pick-up on the left side near the front brake boss.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 20:27:26 -0600, Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg
>>
>> That bike looks really well set up. What's the thing from the front brake boss to the quick
>> release?
>
> I'm not clear what you mean? Front brake boss to Q/R (on the stem?) is all stock. There is a
> little black wire that runs down to and along the Fr. Derailleur cable for the Cadence pick-up.
> Another black with wrapped around the front brake cable and follows the front brakce across to the
> computer pick-up on the left side near the front brake boss.

I think he means the metal wire/rod in front of and parallel to the fork. Looks like a support for
the fender to me.