SRAM cassette vs. Shimano

I'm replacing my worn Ultegra 6500 9sp cogs, and I'm
pocketbook-considering the SRAM Powerglide II PG-970 9-Speed Road
Cassette.
Anyone have any reasons why I should avoid it? Is shifting any
different?
TIA.

Scott

[email protected] wrote:
> Dang it! Outed myself! Meant to post it to rec.bicycles.tech.
> Good thing I didn't post the one about my pink frilly socks.
> /s

Actually, some people like using GR cassettes on their MTB. Mostly the
weight weenies.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm replacing my worn Ultegra 6500 9sp cogs, and I'm
> pocketbook-considering the SRAM Powerglide II PG-970 9-Speed Road
> Cassette.
> Anyone have any reasons why I should avoid it?

GRS is a good reason to avoid it.

JD

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Dang it! Outed myself! Meant to post it to rec.bicycles.tech.
>> Good thing I didn't post the one about my pink frilly socks.
>> /s
>>

> Actually, some people like using GR cassettes on their MTB. Mostly
> the weight weenies.

Actually, I think it's the downhillers who use 'em -- I guess for the tight
shifts; certainly not for weight savings.

Bill "GR /BB/ (Ultegra) if I ever get new rings for the XTR cranks" S.

S o r n i wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>Dang it! Outed myself! Meant to post it to rec.bicycles.tech.
>>>Good thing I didn't post the one about my pink frilly socks.
>>>/s
>>>

>>Actually, some people like using GR cassettes on their MTB. Mostly
>>the weight weenies.

> Actually, I think it's the downhillers who use 'em -- I guess for the tight
> shifts; certainly not for weight savings.
>
> Bill "GR /BB/ (Ultegra) if I ever get new rings for the XTR cranks" S.

Yup. That's where I saw them. My Tazer had a roadie cassette.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:KKG%[email protected]...
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >> Dang it! Outed myself! Meant to post it to rec.bicycles.tech.
> >> Good thing I didn't post the one about my pink frilly socks.
> >> /s
> >>

> > Actually, some people like using GR cassettes on their MTB. Mostly
> > the weight weenies.

> Actually, I think it's the downhillers who use 'em -- I guess for the

tight
> shifts; certainly not for weight savings.
>
> Bill "GR /BB/ (Ultegra) if I ever get new rings for the XTR cranks" S.

Spot on, my DH bike has Dura-ace cassette and shifter.
The shifter becuase it's a short cage mech, putting it up out of reach of
rocks (apparently).
The cassette because it's got titanium rings (well a couple), and also has a
set of close ratios.

The whole lots coupled to a shimano saint 38 tooth front ring, giving pretty
medium gearing.

The rear end: http://tinyurl.com/6efkg

The bike: http://tinyurl.com/3m9kh

Regards,
AndyC

"AndyC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:KKG%[email protected]...
> > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > > [email protected] wrote:

snip

> The whole lots coupled to a shimano saint 38 tooth front ring, giving

pretty
> medium gearing.
>
> The rear end: http://tinyurl.com/6efkg
>
> The bike: http://tinyurl.com/3m9kh
>
> Regards, AndyC

Yo dude, the cables too short at the derailleur!

The housing should not have a kink in it. Add a couple of inches.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "AndyC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:KKG%[email protected]...

> snip
> >
> > The whole lots coupled to a shimano saint 38 tooth front ring, giving

> pretty
> > medium gearing.
> >
> > The rear end: http://tinyurl.com/6efkg
> >
> > The bike: http://tinyurl.com/3m9kh
> >
> > Regards, AndyC

> Yo dude, the cables too short at the derailleur!
>
> The housing should not have a kink in it. Add a couple of inches.
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

yeah I know...
Not as bad as it looks, as I generally never use the top few gears, so it's
not like that most of the time.
And it's also moved forward in that shot - there's too much out the front of
the bike. Since then I've re-seated it in the runners and it's much better.
That and I can't be arsed to buy another cable...

>> I'm replacing my worn Ultegra 6500 9sp cogs, and I'm
>> pocketbook-considering the SRAM Powerglide II PG-970 9-Speed Road
>> Cassette.
>> Anyone have any reasons why I should avoid it?

>GRS is a good reason to avoid it.

>JD

Excellent. I'll be sure to write up a review.

/s

>Yup. That's where I saw them. My Tazer had a >roadie cassette.

Good to know I'll be able to use it in a confrontation.
I prefer using them as chinese stars.
/s

[email protected] wrote:
>> Yup. That's where I saw them. My Tazer had a >roadie cassette.

> Good to know I'll be able to use it in a confrontation.
> I prefer using them as chinese stars.

Tattoo templates.