SRAM Cassettes

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by George L. Porte, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and how the work/last. I have
    used Shimano stuff (LX and XT) which I wear out about every year. I now use SRAM chains and am
    thinking of using a SRAM 7.0 cassette which is cheaper than the XT (M750). Any experience? Also, are
    they compatible with shimano derailleurs?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "George L. Porter, IV @cox.net>" <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and
    how
    > the work/last. I have used Shimano stuff (LX and XT) which I wear out
    about
    > every year. I now use SRAM chains and am thinking of using a SRAM 7.0 cassette which is cheaper
    > than the XT (M750). Any experience? Also, are they compatible with shimano derailleurs?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have been really happy with SRAM cassettes...I got over 1200 mostly-dirty miles out of a 7.0. I've
    found them to be at least as reliable as Shimano, but part of me wants to say SRAM lasts a bit
    longer. I don't really have a lot of empirical evidence behind that, it's just a gut feeling. I
    should mention at this point I hate Shimano :)

    There are no compatibility issues between the cassettes, assuming they are both 9-speed.

    Chris

  3. Clyde_in_tn

    Clyde_in_tn Guest

    George L. Porter, IV

    > I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and how the work/last.

    Love them!

    >Also, are they compatible with shimano derailleurs?

    Ya sure you bechya.

  4. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "George L. Porter, IV @cox.net>" <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and how the work/last. I have
    > used Shimano stuff (LX and XT) which I wear out about every year. I now use SRAM chains and am
    > thinking of using a SRAM 7.0 cassette which is cheaper than the XT (M750). Any experience? Also,
    > are they compatible with shimano derailleurs?
    >
    > Thanks

    I replaced my Shimano with a SRAM 9.0 ("Powerglide II"). Biggest difference I noticed was shifting.
    From my research and experience, they have different shifting ramps. The SRAM (at least my 9.0)
    shifts slower than a Shimano, but they shift much smoother. Makes a big difference when shifting on
    an uphill. IMO, go with SRAM.

    --
    Cameron

  5. "George L. Porter, IV @cox.net>" <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and
    how
    > the work/last. I have used Shimano stuff (LX and XT) which I wear out
    about
    > every year. I now use SRAM chains and am thinking of using a SRAM 7.0 cassette which is cheaper
    > than the XT (M750). Any experience? Also, are they compatible with shimano derailleurs?
    >
    > Thanks

    To anyone out there who lives in South Africa ..... use SRAM cassettes and chains .... I've had
    great service from those parts. Their RD's are also fantastic. Had no problems after leaving
    Shimano and installing SRAM .... but .... have had to scrap my RD .... no spares available in S.A.
    I've been waiting over 2 months for 2 jockey wheels ! Have now decided to go XTR RD if compatible
    with the Gripshift. Will stick with SRAM cassettes & chains though.

    See post elsewhere.

    Bernard

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > "George L. Porter, IV @cox.net>" <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and how the work/last. I
    > > have used Shimano stuff (LX and XT) which I wear out about every year. I now use SRAM chains and
    > > am thinking of using a SRAM 7.0 cassette which is cheaper than the XT (M750). Any experience?
    > > Also, are they compatible with shimano derailleurs?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > I replaced my Shimano with a SRAM 9.0 ("Powerglide II"). Biggest difference I noticed was
    > shifting. From my research and experience, they have different shifting ramps. The SRAM (at least
    > my 9.0) shifts slower than a Shimano, but they shift much smoother. Makes a big difference when
    > shifting on an uphill. IMO, go with SRAM.

    My experience also, and they are lighter than their Shimano pricepoint counteparts.
    --
    _________________________

  7. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I replaced my Shimano with a SRAM 9.0 ("Powerglide II"). Biggest difference I noticed was
    >> shifting. From my research and experience, they have different shifting ramps. The SRAM (at least
    >> my 9.0) shifts slower than a Shimano, but they shift much smoother. Makes a big difference when
    >> shifting on an uphill. IMO, go with SRAM.
    >
    >My experience also, and they are lighter than their Shimano pricepoint counteparts.

    That's my experience as well. I've been running an 8-speed on my own bike (who needs 9?) and it's
    working out very well. Lighter, cheaper and (so far) reliable. I did manage to bend one of the cogs
    once, but it was trivial to fix it (since all the cogs come apart).

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    George L. Porter, IV @cox.net> <gporter1970<nospam> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am replacing my cassette and am wondering who uses SRAM cassettes and
    how
    > the work/last. I have used Shimano stuff (LX and XT) which I wear out
    about
    > every year. I now use SRAM chains and am thinking of using a SRAM 7.0 cassette which is cheaper
    > than the XT (M750). Any experience? Also, are they compatible with shimano derailleurs?
    >
    > Thanks

    A bit late, but I'll throw my 2# in anyhow - Built up my bike with an SRAM cassette (11-34, 5.0?
    can't remember). Very happy with it indeed - flawless and smooth shifting. It didn't last much over
    18 months, but I had some filthy, wet, gritty and muddy miles on it, and I'd abused it by running
    the same chain far too long (or it woulda easy lasted twice that, IME). Got new chain, needed new
    chain rings and cassette urgently, but couldn't get an SRAM cheap enough or quick enough, so I went
    with an 11-32 XT, which works just fine, also - I'll be holding out for another SRAM though, when I
    need another.

    Shaun aRe

  9. Fireflyer

    Fireflyer Guest

    i am beating the hell out of a SRAM 9.0 cassette, and fully recommend it over my last XT model. i
    run a 11-34 and it is still strong after 500 miles in 18 months. i am all about shimano for
    shifters/derailluers, but i am all for SRAM for cogs and chains! C