SRAM Chain Opinions?

padawan

Dec 23, 2005
Hi all,

Considering replacing my chain (Ultegra) for an SRAM.

From their web site it seems they're only compatible with 9 spd cassettes, true? I have an Ultegra 10 spd casette. Can I even use the SRAM chain with it?

Second (and maybe a moot point), I'd like people's opinions on why they are better than the Ultegra chain (if at all).

Cheers

SRAM 9 speed chain won't work with the 10 speed cassettes.
I'm hoping for a 10 speed SRAM chain soon.

I've used only the SRAM since around 1998. Never broke one.
Being able to remove the chain for cleaning is a plus to me.

And if I swap cassettes. Swapping chains isn't a problem either.

padawan said:
Hi all,

From their web site it seems they're only compatible with 9 spd cassettes, true? I have an Ultegra 10 spd casette. Can I even use the SRAM chain with it?

Second (and maybe a moot point), I'd like people's opinions on why they are better than the Ultegra chain (if at all).

Cheers

Sprint2Win said:

Damn! I was afraid that was the case. The two reasons above were why I want one. Guess I'll keep my eyes posted for a 10 spd version too!

padawan said:
Damn! I was afraid that was the case. The two reasons above were why I want one. Guess I'll keep my eyes posted for a 10 spd version too!
So are there other easily removable chains available in the 10-speed?

whrslshr said:
So are there other easily removable chains available in the 10-speed?
You can use a Shimano chain with a Connex link.

rek said:
Now why did you tell me that 30sec ago??? I just paid $50 for a :( brand new

Wipperman Connex 10SO

rek said:
Now why didn't you tell me that 30sec ago??? I just paid $50 for a :( brand new

Wipperman Connex 10SO

Don't worry too much, buying the Connex link by itself is still silly expensive, as in half of what a whole Shimano 10sp chain costs :mad:

..patiently waiting for SRAMs 10 speed link to arrive, which will hopefully cost the same as their 9 speed ones :D It has to be coming sooner or later, after all they're bringing out a whole 10 speed group..

whrslshr said:
Now why didn't you tell me that 30sec ago??? I just paid $50 for a :( brand new

Wipperman Connex 10SO

Wipperman may be a better chain anyway, so I wouldn't feel bad about it.

jbvcoaching said:

I can't wait for the 10-speed SRAM either. I fell in love with the PC-99 for my MTBs. Makes cleaning the drivetrain a cinch. I was lucky to get a 10 speed Connex on sale for $30 for my road bike. It's a nice chain, but I refer the SRAM link. I like being able to whip my chain off and soak it in degreaser to clean it.

Sprint2Win said:
SRAM 9 speed chain won't work with the 10 speed cassettes.
I'm hoping for a 10 speed SRAM chain soon.

I've used only the SRAM since around 1998. Never broke one.

I just add a SRAM link on my Ultegra chain

jcjordan said:
I just add a SRAM link on my Ultegra chain
That only works some of the time. I added a SRAM link to my wife's chain, and the 9-sp SRAM link was wider than the Shimano link it replaced. Result: Link got caught on the front derailleur and stopped her cranks in mid pedal stroke.

It's a good idea, just check carefully after you do the swap to make sure it looks ok.

cydewaze said:
That only works some of the time. I added a SRAM link to my wife's chain, and the 9-sp SRAM link was wider than the Shimano link it replaced. Result: Link got caught on the front derailleur and stopped her cranks in mid pedal stroke.

It's a good idea, just check carefully after you do the swap to make sure it looks ok.
If you've got the front derailleur set up that tightly, you should be able to slacken it up a bit to get the extra clearance for letting the SRAM link slip through cleanly.

The SRAM link is wider, but only by a fraction of a millimetre; the adjustment you'd need to make to let it slip through would be slight enough not to affect your front shifting.

padawan said:
Hi all,

Cheers

Use a KMC X10 chain... it is not only inexpensive vis-a-vis Wipperman but also relatively light. It works for both Campy and Shimano 10s drivetrains.