SRAM chain pin removal tool?

Slacker

Guest
Is there a SRAM specific pin popper/installer for their
chains? The directions that come with the chain seems to
suggest there is a tool, but I've never seen one for
sale anywhere.

I just used my little Park tool on the chain, but it never
looks or feels good after. The link is always stiff and
sometimes there is some metal sliver that comes off the
link/pin when pressing the pin out.

--
Slacker

> Is there a SRAM specific pin popper/installer for their
> chains? The directions that come with the chain seems to
> suggest there is a tool, but I've never seen one for sale
> anywhere.
>
> I just used my little Park tool on the chain, but it never
> looks or feels good after. The link is always stiff and
> sometimes there is some metal sliver that comes off the
> link/pin when pressing the pin out.
>
> --
> Slacker

You yankin our chains? Why don't you use the power link?

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

In news:[email protected],
Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
> Is there a SRAM specific pin popper/installer for their
> chains? The directions that come with the chain seems to
> suggest there is a tool, but I've never seen one for sale
> anywhere.
>
> I just used my little Park tool on the chain, but it never
> looks or feels good after. The link is always stiff and
> sometimes there is some metal sliver that comes off the
> link/pin when pressing the pin out.

Cut the chain to length and use the Powerlink. SRAM chains
are mushroom peened at the pin. If you press it through the
hole in the side plate will enlarge and/or the peening will
come off the pin which is the sliver you're seeing. It won't
hold as strong if it is pressed back in.

BTW, Watch out for 'chaingrowth' on that Turner. My M1 grows
an inch (from BB to rear axle) when the suspension is
compressed fully.

Mike

Michael Dart wrote:

> In news:[email protected],
> Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
>
>>Is there a SRAM specific pin popper/installer for their
>>chains? The directions that come with the chain seems to
>>suggest there is a tool, but I've never seen one for sale
>>anywhere.
>>
>>I just used my little Park tool on the chain, but it never
>>looks or feels good after. The link is always stiff and
>>sometimes there is some metal sliver that comes off the
>>link/pin when pressing the pin out.
>

> Cut the chain to length and use the Powerlink. SRAM chains
> are mushroom peened at the pin. If you press it through
> the hole in the side plate will enlarge and/or the peening
> will come off the pin which is the sliver you're seeing.
> It won't hold as strong if it is pressed back in.
>
> BTW, Watch out for 'chaingrowth' on that Turner. My M1
> grows an inch (from BB to rear axle) when the suspension
> is compressed fully.
>
> Mike

I must have popped the wrong end of the link because I need
to add one (inner) link in order to use my Power Link.

I thought single pivots don't have chain growth or am I
wrong??
--
Slacker

RE/
>I just used my little Park tool on the chain, but it never
>looks or feels good after.

I did the same. Then I started hearing funny "ping" sounds
from back there. Thought a spoke was on the way out. Then
the fushluggener chain parted as I was lunging up a hill -
which was good for about two weeks of sitting on my butt.

The word I get in retrospect from reading SRAM's material is
that you just flat don't put links back into their chains
unless it's a PC-48 or below. The higher-end chains aren't
designed for link replacement...period....
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> RE/
>
>>I just used my little Park tool on the chain, but it never
>>looks or feels good after.
>

> I did the same. Then I started hearing funny "ping" sounds
> from back there. Thought a spoke was on the way out. Then
> the fushluggener chain parted as I was lunging up a hill -
> which was good for about two weeks of sitting on my butt.
>
> The word I get in retrospect from reading SRAM's material
> is that you just flat don't put links back into their
> chains unless it's a PC-48 or below. The higher-end chains
> aren't designed for link replacement...period....

Well, that's just lovely! I needed to pick up another one
anyway, looks like I'll get two now.

Thanks for the warning... that could be very ugly on the
wrong trail at the wrong speed :-(
--
Slacker

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >I just used my little Park tool on the chain, but it
> >never looks or feels good after.
>
> I did the same. Then I started hearing funny "ping" sounds
> from back
there.
> Thought a spoke was on the way out. Then the fushluggener
> chain parted
as I
> was lunging up a hill - which was good for about two weeks
> of sitting on
my
> butt.

Same thing happened to me on yesterday's ride. First I
spent 10 minutes adjusting the rear derailler for acting
up; had to take the cable loose and reset it, doing all
the fine tuning afterward. I rode another 10 minutes
before the powerlink itself snapped in two across the
hole in the plate. The "knee bone connected to the
bar&shifters bone" didn't exactly make my day, but at
least I was still riding, so I fared better than you.
This PC99 chain and powerlink had only 240 miles on them
when it broke, not exactly a testimony to the name
POWERlink, but I sure was glad it was as simple as just
popping another one in there and riding on.

> The word I get in retrospect from reading SRAM's material
> is that you just
flat
> don't put links back into their chains unless it's a PC-48
> or below. The higher-end chains aren't designed for link
> replacement...period....

Which is less than an improvement, IMO.
--
D N I E T S Off to R the M __, D H

Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

> Michael Dart wrote:
>
> > In news:[email protected],
> > Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
> >
> >>Is there a SRAM specific pin popper/installer for their
> >>chains? The directions that come with the chain seems to
> >>suggest there is a tool, but I've never seen one for
> >>sale anywhere.
> >>
> >>I just used my little Park tool on the chain, but it
> >>never looks or feels good after. The link is always
> >>stiff and sometimes there is some metal sliver that
> >>comes off the link/pin when pressing the pin out.
> >

> > Cut the chain to length and use the Powerlink. SRAM
> > chains are mushroom peened at the pin. If you press it
> > through the hole in the side plate
will
> > enlarge and/or the peening will come off the pin which
> > is the sliver
you're
> > seeing. It won't hold as strong if it is pressed
> > back in.
> >
> > BTW, Watch out for 'chaingrowth' on that Turner. My M1
> > grows an inch
(from
> > BB to rear axle) when the suspension is compressed
> > fully.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> I must have popped the wrong end of the link because
> I need to add one (inner) link in order to use my
> Power Link.

I've never had a problem using a standard chain tool on my
SRAM chains.

Shaun aRe

> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > Michael Dart wrote:
> >
> > > In news:[email protected],
> > > Slacker <[email protected]> typed:

> > > Cut the chain to length and use the Powerlink. SRAM
> > > chains are
mushroom
> > > peened at the pin. If you press it through the hole in
> > > the side plate
> will
> > > enlarge and/or the peening will come off the pin which
> > > is the sliver
> you're
> > > seeing. It won't hold as strong if it is pressed
> > > back in.
> > >
> > > BTW, Watch out for 'chaingrowth' on that Turner. My M1
> > > grows an inch
> (from
> > > BB to rear axle) when the suspension is compressed
> > > fully.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >

> > I must have popped the wrong end of the link because
> > I need to add one (inner) link in order to use my
> > Power Link.
>
> I've never had a problem using a standard chain tool on my
> SRAM chains.
>

> Shaun aRe

Cheers Shaun, me neither. I was beginning to doubt my
mechanical abilities there for a second. Oh and I have an
aversion to using the powerlink thing - it can only be
trouble...

Steve.

RE/
>the powerlink itself snapped in two across the hole in
>the plate.

The *powerlink* snapped?

Uh-oh....I wish I hadn't read that...
--
PeteCresswell

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...

tool,

> mushroom
plate
> > will
> > you're

inch
> > (from

> > > I must have popped the wrong end of the link because I
> > > need to add one (inner) link in order to use my Power
> > > Link.
> >
> > I've never had a problem using a standard chain tool on
> > my SRAM chains.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
>
> Cheers Shaun, me neither.

Yer Welcome Steve, me either.

> I was beginning to doubt my mechanical abilities there for
> a second.

Exactly - and there's nothing there to doubt. >',;~}~

> Oh and I have an aversion to using the powerlink thing -
> it can only be trouble...

Never had a problem with the SRAM power links either, even
really well used old ones.

Shaun aRe