SRAM chains, Powerlink/lock

mgoat

Mar 28, 2011
HI all,

Up to now ive always been riding with shimano chains. Earlier this week i needed to change my chain and i was only able to get a SRAM (10speed). According to SRAM you should only use their powerlinks to close it. I dont know why but im kinda afraid to apply full pressure as im afraid it might break. I know its stupid.

Anybody ever have trouble with a powerlink/lock?

Thanks

Originally Posted by mgoat .

HI all,

Up to now ive always been riding with shimano chains. Earlier this week i needed to change my chain and i was only able to get a SRAM (10speed). According to SRAM you should only use their powerlinks to close it. I dont know why but im kinda afraid to apply full pressure as im afraid it might break. I know its stupid.

Anybody ever have trouble with a powerlink/lock?

Thanks
Well, one version of the 10s sram chain/powerlink was recalled cuz it broke. For piece of mind, remove the sram link and get a Wipperman link.

I have had no problems with sram powerlinks breaking. They are a little stubborn to connect fully but once you have them fully engaged they are fine.

I sometimes have trouble getting the link to pull all the way out. I just pull it out as far as I can. I then position the connector link on the large chain wheel and "lightly" tap the link inwards toward the chain wheel with a deadblow hammer (rubber mallet). I repeat lightly tap this gives the extra leverage needed to fully engage the link.

Good Luck

As Peter noted, there was a recall of a prior design/lot. I've used both the recalled version and the rediigend version without any incedents. Like Davereo, I find them to be a beyotch to break apart - MUCH easier to attack a standard link when needing to service/remove a chain. Just out of habit I always work on the powelink until it breaks, just so I only have one in any given chain. No logical justification for why.