SRAM chains prone to breaking?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Young, Aug 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rb

Rb Guest

Gary, consider yourself lucky. I broke a PC 59 chain recently, or more accurately, the power link
    separated at around 800 miles and I was left with the chain lying in the middle of the road as I
    cycled across a 6 -lane intersection at a green light. I was lucky the light remained green long
    enough so I could walk the bike to the center divider. I'm even gladder I didn't try running a
    red light.

r. "53 years old and trying for more" b.

Gary Smiley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mark - how do you determine what "very strong" is? Either it breaks or it doesn't. Let me digress
    > a bit: I always worry about a chain breaking, and I always carry an extra power link and a few
    > shimano pins, but I've never broken a chain, and I've never been on a ride where anyone else has
    > broken a chain either. All my chains lived their normal lives and eventually wore out. So I don't
    > know if they were "very strong" but I would call them "strong enough".
    >
    > Mark Boyd wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > I used one PC-59. It broke in normal use on my road bike. I've used PC-99 chains every since on
    > > that bike. Expensive, but very strong.

2. rb wrote:
    > Gary, consider yourself lucky. I broke a PC 59 chain recently, or more accurately, the power link
    > separated at around 800 miles and I was left with the chain lying in the middle of the road as I
    > cycled across a 6 -lane intersection at a green light. I was lucky the light remained green long
    > enough so I could walk the bike to the center divider. I'm even gladder I didn't try running a
    > red light.
    >
    > r. "53 years old and trying for more" b.

A friend of mine was out warming up for an ITT when his chain broke. He woke up in the hospital. He
    doesn't remember anything but from what his injurys looked like he dove headfirst into the pavement.
    Fortunately he recovered nicely but I'm always thinking of this when I stand up to jump on my pedals
    in a sprint or something.

--
    Perre

You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.