SRAM chains prone to breaking?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Young, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Rb

    Rb Guest

    Gary, consider yourself lucky. I broke a PC 59 chain recently, or more accurately, the power link
    separated at around 800 miles and I was left with the chain lying in the middle of the road as I
    cycled across a 6 -lane intersection at a green light. I was lucky the light remained green long
    enough so I could walk the bike to the center divider. I'm even gladder I didn't try running a
    red light.

    r. "53 years old and trying for more" b.

  2. rb wrote:
    > Gary, consider yourself lucky. I broke a PC 59 chain recently, or more accurately, the power link
    > separated at around 800 miles and I was left with the chain lying in the middle of the road as I
    > cycled across a 6 -lane intersection at a green light. I was lucky the light remained green long
    > enough so I could walk the bike to the center divider. I'm even gladder I didn't try running a
    > red light.
    >
    > r. "53 years old and trying for more" b.

    A friend of mine was out warming up for an ITT when his chain broke. He woke up in the hospital. He
    doesn't remember anything but from what his injurys looked like he dove headfirst into the pavement.
    Fortunately he recovered nicely but I'm always thinking of this when I stand up to jump on my pedals
    in a sprint or something.

    --
    Perre