Sram Chains (suck)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by bonegirl, Apr 19, 2006.

1. bonegirl

bonegirl New Member

First and last time on the sram powerlink chain. Can't get it on, or off. Back to the basics, SHIMANO ROCKS!

Tags:

2. motorhommer

motorhommer New Member

Strange always works for me, but good luck .................

3. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

It took a second, but an uncontrollable laugh did ensue. :D

I haven't heard it used in that context in quite a while.

4. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

Umm...sure.... I went through two shimaNO chains before swithcing to SRAM. No more breakage. Sometime the powerlink jams a little on an older chain, but its not that difficult. I bet a Chimp could figure the technique out easy enough.

5. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

Used SRAM chains for years, and SEDIS before they became SRAM. Never had a problem with a powerlink. On and off, easy as pie.

6. Texlaw98

Texlaw98 New Member

That is funny. It wasn't very long ago that Sachs/sedis chains WERE the basics. When I worked at a bike shop the very first thing we would do on our personal bikes is junk the shimano chain and put on a Sachs. It was something that everyone who knew anything about bikes did.

I haven't used the new sachs/SRAM chains but I would tap the brakes before you start bragging about Shimano chains.

7. bill 399

bill 399 New Member

i am thinking about getting a wipperman chain for my bike the nickel plated one ,but i have heard they cause youe gears to wear out faster, is this correct,bill

8. Texlaw98

Texlaw98 New Member

I haven't ever heard of that making a huge difference. The biggest factors in cog wear, at least when I used to be a mechanic, were not lubricating the chain and not replacing the chain when it got stretched. A stretched chain wears the cogs faster and when you finally replace it with an unstretched chain, it causes the cogs to skip. As far as the lubrication goes, it is obvious that a dry chain will cause more friction on the cogs besides not shifting as well and being noisy. Also, if you ride a mountain bike in areas with sand/dust it will wear the cogs faster if you don't clean and re-lubricate your chain as often.