SRAM Compatibility

percious

Sep 15, 2003
I was wondering if anyone knew if SRAM deraileurs are compatible with (regular-rise) XTR Shifters?

It depends on which SRAM shifter. The ones that have a ".0" in the name such as: 9.0sl or X.0 then they are ONLY compatable with SRAM rear derailleurs (although due to the nature of front derailleurs and not being "indexed" like rears you can run a Shimano front; XT, XTR, etc). They are indexed differently than the Shimano stuff. If you find (easily done) SRAM shifters that don't have that designation; example of this would be the "rocket" shifters. Here is SRAM's compatability matrix:

http://www.sram.com/tech_info/product_matrix_pdfs/compatible_shifters.pdf

You are asking about using a Shimano shifter with SRAM deraileurs though (I know, I digressed for a minute). It doesn't work all that well to do it the way you asked. I have seen people do it, but they are the ones that ask why their bikes shift mysteriously or don't shift as they should. Good luck.

K.

sram dont make any shimano compatable mechs any more, they used to but stopped due to lack of demand, they do make compatable shifters though.