SRAM Components

Chris

Guest
How do SRAM components compare to Shimano Components?
I've only used Shimano Components, so thats all I have
to judge by.

Chris

Chris wrote:

> How do SRAM components compare to Shimano Components?
> I've only used Shimano Components, so thats all I have to
> judge by.
>
> Chris

I running a Sram PC-99 chain with Sram X.9 derail. and
shifters on my new bike. I really like them, much more of
a positive feel in shifting the rear mech., easy to get
used to the thumb push-push engagement. The only thing I
don't like right now is that shifting the front mech (old
XT from last bike) seems like a long throw, I'll have to
compare with others using Shimano, but the stroke seems
longer with the Sram?

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

Out of 14 mounted and in service derailleurs 11 are Sram on
my bikes. And when those 3 Shimano brake Shimano no more. I
also run Sram PC 48,59, and 99 chains. I can't for get Sram
9.0 brakes and levers. Just call me Sram man and loving
every minute of it.

I MTB 2004

Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
> How do SRAM components compare to Shimano Components?
> I've only used Shimano Components, so thats all I have to
> judge by.
>
> Chris

I'm a holdout gripshift user on both my bikes and will
continue to use them as long as they are available. It just
seems so simple to me, and I've yet to be convinced that
trigger shifters offer my anything additional. I've tried
'em and don't see any reason to change. YMMV. SRAM chains
are great, though my one experience with the PC-99 was
somewhat short-lived, of course those aren't built for
durability. Whatever chain you run, the POWERLINK is the
best thing going, IMO. The Shimano replacable pin thingie is
just too much of a pain in the ass. If you like Shimano
chains, use 'em but go with the POWERLINK. SRAM derailleurs
I haven't tried, but might give one a shot if I ever upgrade
my hardtail to 9 speed. I'm running a SRAM cassette on my
other bike, but no call yet on durability. It appears to be
holding out fine, but it's still young in terms of mileage.
The 34 tooth cassette goes from 28 direct to 34,which is a
bit awkward, but I understand they're gonna fix that in '05
and make the steps more like Shimano's. It's not that big a
deal though since I rarely ever use the 34t, but when I do
the step isn't as critical as the desire for some serious
low gearing. I'll probably just end up buying whatever's on
sale next time I need a cassette.

Though I'm sure many will argue differences in quality, I
think any differences are on the margins. Personal
preference is probably the biggest discriminator between the
two component brands. I'm glad to see SRAM come out with a
trigger system even though I don't use 'em. The more head-to-
head competition exists, the more options we'll have at a
cheaper price.

Tom (competition is good)

...are made of plastic.

But before wishing death to you, I am going to tell you that
IMO, SRAM makes a fine product.  I've used SRAM Attack shif-
ters with Shimano derailers in the past, and I currently use
a SRAM X.O system on my hardtail.  The attack shifters were
good, but X.O is marvelous.

I also enjoy Shimano XTR dual control levers, but they're
quite expensive. Despite everyone being afraid of
"accidentally shifting while braking," I stand firm on the
statement that this has never happened to me in the 11
months I have used
them.  I also hear people say that these levers "allow you
to shift while braking," but again, I have never done this,
nor have I ever felt the desire to shift and brake at the
exact same moment.

If you want a comparison, here you
go.  The Shimanos shift smoother, almost like you can't feel
it sometimes, the tradeoff being that they aren't always as
quick to snap into gear as
SRAM.  With my X.O system, when you click that twister
barrel you can feel the chain immediately engage the
selected gear.  I also like the ability to adjust the front-
 derailer using the several clicks in between numbers with
grip shifts, it allows you to use different gear combos
without rubbing- if you need to.  Shimano seems to run
quieter... but if you keep your drivetrain oiled up you
should be fine there.

If that wasn't enough, the X.O rear derailer looks SWEET!

Some people are not in favor of SRAM components, usually
claiming the tired old 'accidental shift' BS or claiming
some issue about the longevity of SRAM components.  Don't t-
ake what that naysayers give you at face value, most of them
operate only on hearsay.

John Morgan

> How do SRAM components compare to Shimano Components? I've
> only used
Shimano
> Components, so thats all I have to judge by.
>
> Chris

Hi Chris. I'm the other guy going by "Chris."

I only use SRAM chains and cassettes anymore, because
Shimanos have consistently disappointed. I haven't put real
mileage on any other SRAM parts because my love for
Rapidfire is equaled only by my despise for Gripshift. Just
personal preference there, no durability/performance issues.

I'm biased against Shimano because a) they're the biggest,
and you gotta root for the underdog and b) they keep
switching **** up. Like "Rapid Rise." God I hate that -
how often are you desperate to "go faster right now" as
opposed to "spin easier right now." Unless you're Roland
Green, not much. I'd rather flow up a climb (how's that
for horrible word usage..."flow up") than get down a
nanosecond faster. Anyway...

But yeah, in my experience SRAM chains are head and
shoulders above Shimano - it's not even a question. I will
never buy Shimano chains again. I have a lot of ugly miles
on my SRAM cassette, and it's still pointy in all the right
places. My other bits are Shimano.

SRAM does own RockSux now, so I guess that's a check in the
"cons" column.

Chris (the other)

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I also enjoy Shimano XTR dual control levers, but they're
> quite expensive. Despite everyone being afraid of
> "accidentally shifting while braking," I stand firm on the
> statement that this has never happened to me in the 11
> months I have used them.

Agreed. 15 months. XT is less $$ than X.9.

>I also hear people say that these levers "allow you to
>shift while braking," but again, I have never done this,
>nor have I ever felt the desire to shift and brake at the
>exact same moment.

Well, maybe once or twice.

> If that wasn't enough, the X.O rear derailer looks SWEET!

True.

> Some people are not in favor of SRAM components, usually
> claiming the
tired
> old 'accidental shift' BS or claiming some issue about the
> longevity of SRAM components. Don't take what that
> naysayers give you at face value, most of them operate
> only on hearsay.

Use what you like best. Either one will work fine. You can
even combine them. That said, I think anyone buying
shifters who hasn't tried the dual controls is selling
themselves short.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:49:11 -0500, Chris wrote:

> How do SRAM components compare to Shimano Components?
> I've only used Shimano Components, so thats all I have to
> judge by.

I'm not one of those who believes in hating Shimano because
they're big or any other ****. I'm just interested in
performance and I've been impressed with SRAM's recent
offerings.

They've had some catching up to do, but they're doing well
IMO. Firstly, their products aren't overly-complex and any
innovation seems to be there for improvement rather than as
a gimmick. All the products of theirs that I have used have
worked very well - the 9.0SL shifter derailleur combo has
barely missed a shift in the 2 or 3 years it's been on
there, even though I'm not particularly good with the
maintenance thing. Partly, I believe, that's attributable to
the 1:1 shifting ratio - in crappy conditions it means that
the shifting stays good where Shimano stuff would have
started skipping.

Now looking forward to testing out their trigger shifters
- the X9 stuff looks pretty good. Now all they need to do
is come out with a front shifter and I'd then make the
final switch.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

John Morgan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Pakkc.8648$A27.6901@fed1read06>...
> ...are made of plastic.
>
> But before wishing death to you

I wuz gonna say this, Gianni... :)

> I am going to tell you that IMO, SRAM makes a fine
> product. I've used SRAM Attack shifters with Shimano
> derailers in the past, and I currently use a SRAM X.O
> system on my hardtail. The attack shifters were good, but
> X.O is marvelous.

I have Attack shifters/XT on my good bike, and they
have been great for the last year and a half. No
adjustments required.

> I also enjoy Shimano XTR dual control levers, but they're
> quite expensive.

When I look at them, I think "damn, if I crash, and snap off
a lever, or something goes 'boing' inside, I really have to
fork over."

> Despite everyone being afraid of "accidentally shifting
> while braking," I stand firm on the statement that this
> has never happened to me in the 11 months I have used
> them. I also hear people say that these levers "allow you
> to shift while braking," but again, I have never done
> this, nor have I ever felt the desire to shift and brake
> at the exact same moment.

I can do that with my GripShifters. Middle finger on the
brake, twist with thumb and forefinger. I also have my
brakes rigged right-brakes-front, so I'm working the rear
der with my primary braking hand. No problems yet.

> If you want a comparison, here you go. The Shimanos shift
> smoother, almost like you can't feel it sometimes, the
> tradeoff being that they aren't always as quick to snap
> into gear as SRAM. With my X.O system, when you click that
> twister barrel you can feel the chain immediately engage
> the selected gear.

I like the fact I can grab a gear three lower *right now.*

> I also like the ability to adjust the front derailer using
> the several clicks in between numbers with grip shifts, it
> allows you to use different gear combos without rubbing-
> if you need to.

Something I do automatically, and now that you mention it,
it is nice...

Must be from my friction-shifting days...

> Some people are not in favor of SRAM components, usually
> claiming the tired old 'accidental shift' BS or claiming
> some issue about the longevity of SRAM components. Don't
> take what that naysayers give you at face value, most of
> them operate only on hearsay.

On the Loon Lake Death March last year, Paladin's buddy
busted his front der GripShifter about two miles in. In the
middle ring, IIRC. Kinda sucked for the climbs we had
coming. They do break, but I have broken Shimano stuff
before, too. I like my old school 9.0SL set-up on my beater.
Works great, looks good. Keep them lubed, and they work a
long time (again, hearsay...)

The real bonus is that you can now have triggers via SRAM,
and can go totally Shimano-free, even on a geared bike. You
just have to find one of those early SRAM front ders.
--
Jonesy

[email protected] (Jonesy) wrote in message

> On the Loon Lake Death March last year, Paladin's buddy
> busted his front der GripShifter about two miles in. In
> the middle ring, IIRC. Kinda sucked for the climbs we
> had coming.

You've reminded me that I kept that ride in the middle ring
of my 21spd hardtail. Sort of a self-imposed punishment or
exile from granny, since I chickened out on singlespeeding
the whole thing.

Paladin