sram dual drive on vrex?

Mike

Guest
u think it would work ok? works great on my bike E , looking for a economical way to make the vrex
better in hilly urban areas, internal hub for shifting when stopped

[email protected] (mike) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> u think it would work ok? works great on my bike E , looking for a economical way to make the vrex
> better in hilly urban areas, internal hub for shifting when stopped

The SRAM dual drive does work pretty slick, but it is not as efficient as a derailer setup. It
doesn't take that much planning to avoid any need to shift when stopped. I ride a BikeE in the city
(at least 6 stop signs and 12 stoplights in 8.5 miles) on my daily commute, I find I almost never
shift the hub at stops. In fact I seldom use any gear on the hub but 1:1. The DualDrive should work
just fine but I doubt it is necessary. I wouldn't replace my derailer with one if it were me. Craig

For years Angletech offered their GL63 and GL81 V-Rex models with a 3x7. I think they will still do
it on special order. I had one back in '97 and rode it on Slumgullion. I loved it. If you go this
route, carefully plan your gearing. Also, at one time the V-Rex had a 3x7/DualDrive braze-on on the
frame. You might check to see if yours has one.

Bob Bryant http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

Hi Mike

I have a 3x7 hub and a triple ring giving me a wide range of gears to climb with just got back from
grabaawr in WI, I used all the gears on that ride.

Kirt

"mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> u think it would work ok? works great on my bike E , looking for a economical way to make the vrex
> better in hilly urban areas, internal hub for shifting when stopped

[email protected] (cbb) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (mike) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > u think it would work ok? works great on my bike E , looking for a economical way to make the
> > vrex better in hilly urban areas, internal hub for shifting when stopped
>
> The SRAM dual drive does work pretty slick, but it is not as efficient as a derailer setup. It
> doesn't take that much planning to avoid any need to shift when stopped. I ride a BikeE in the
> city (at least 6 stop signs and 12 stoplights in 8.5 miles) on my daily commute, I find I almost
> never shift the hub at stops. In fact I seldom use any gear on the hub but 1:1. The DualDrive
> should work just fine but I doubt it is necessary. I wouldn't replace my derailer with one if it
> were me. Craig

its funny how our ideas of urban riding are a bit different. that would be country riding for me! i
am riding in the 5 boroughs of nyc, where there can be 20 stoplights in a mile, plenty of double
parked cars, taxis and delivery trucks and buses that will play squeeze with you and cut you off on
steep hills, since i dont like unclipping,getting off the bike to spin the wheels, the internal hub
is fantastic. the bike E ct with sram dual drive works spectactulatur in that setup. also fits on
the metronorth nicely for the train ride home, since the neighborhoods i ride through in daylight,
are a bit too dicey for me in the evening! but when i decide to go over the george washington bridge
to grab a cup of coffee about 20 miles away on nice wide shouldered, with a hill here and there i
yearn for the vrex extra speed and climbing ability i have been doing 70 mile urban days on the
bikeE, its draining though!

>its funny how our ideas of urban riding are a bit different. that would be country riding for me! i
>am riding in the 5 boroughs of nyc, where there can be 20 stoplights in a mile, plenty of double
>parked cars, taxis and delivery trucks and buses that will play squeeze with you and cut you off on
>steep hills, since i dont like unclipping,getting off the bike to spin the wheels, the internal hub
>is fantastic. the bike E ct with sram dual drive works spectactulatur in that setup.

I have a Vision R-32 with the same set up, and it is fantastic for city riding. I love being able to
shift down at the hub for quick starts, then thift to middle or high for cruising down the block.
But the bike does feel slow, and while I have done 40 mile rides on it, it was a lot more work than
my VR-42. I have no idea how much of the slower feeling was due to the drive, or the weight, or the
smaller wheels, or the upright stance.

Part of what makes recumbents so much fun, and so frustrating, is just how different different bikes
can feel. So when someone says this or that bike sucks, it doesn't really mean anything unless you
factor in the type of riding they do and their expectations. If you wanted to ride a V-rex in town,
I would think the dual drive would be a great change. If you wanted to do club rides, it would
probably be a mistake.

Steve Christensen

> its funny how our ideas of urban riding are a bit different. that would be country riding for me!
> i am riding in the 5 boroughs of nyc, where there can be 20 stoplights in a mile, plenty of double
> parked cars, taxis and delivery trucks and buses that will play squeeze with you and cut you off
> on steep hills, since i dont like unclipping,getting off the bike to spin the wheels, the internal
> hub is fantastic. the bike E ct with sram dual drive works spectactulatur in that setup. also fits
> on the metronorth nicely for the train ride home, since the neighborhoods i ride through in
> daylight, are a bit too dicey for me in the evening! but when i decide to go over the george
> washington bridge to grab a cup of coffee about 20 miles away on nice wide shouldered, with a hill
> here and there i yearn for the vrex extra speed and climbing ability i have been doing 70 mile
> urban days on the bikeE, its draining though!

Cleveland is a very car oriented city with lots of oversized roads (for the amount of traffic).
However the first half of my ride sees all but three of the stop lights, the last half is in the
industrial/commerial suburb where I work. If I rode the side streets instead of the main
throughfares I would get a stop sign every block instead of a light every ~5 blocks. Still I am sure
my urban experience is nothing like a NYC or most major European cities. I don't usually have to
deal too much with traffic. Just the occasional vehicle who thinks that the parking lane can be used
to get a car or two ahead. Craig

"Drill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Mike
>
> I have a 3x7 hub and a triple ring giving me a wide range of gears to climb with just got back
> from grabaawr in WI, I used all the gears on that ride.
>
> Kirt

think i am going to order one , anyone recomend where i can get one , probably spring for a new
wheel also, so i can change back if not doing mixed urban rides.