SRAM ESP / Campagnolo compatability

Charles Smith

Guest
Will Campagnolo brifters index properly with an SRAM ESP 9 rear derailleur?

Charles Smith wrote:
> Will Campagnolo brifters index properly with an SRAM ESP 9 rear derailleur?

No..But yes with any Campag rear der, even the long cage which is as
long as most MTB rear ders.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Charles Smith wrote:
> > Will Campagnolo brifters index properly with an SRAM ESP 9 rear derailleur?

> No..But yes with any Campag rear der, even the long cage which is as
> long as most MTB rear ders.

Is there any practical way to shift an ESP derailleur from a road bike
with regular drop handlebars? It doesn't seem to me that friction
shifting would even work.

[email protected] wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Charles Smith wrote:
> > > Will Campagnolo brifters index properly with an SRAM ESP 9 rear derailleur?

> > No..But yes with any Campag rear der, even the long cage which is as
> > long as most MTB rear ders.

> Is there any practical way to shift an ESP derailleur from a road bike
> with regular drop handlebars? It doesn't seem to me that friction
> shifting would even work.

Looks like I'll have to answer my own question, although there's
nothing that says it will be ESP compatible and Shimano compatibility
might be more marketable:

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/8753.0.html

It will be interesting to see whether the SRAM shifters incorporate the
things that make Campy superior- reliability and reparability. It looks
like all the cables are hidden like Campy.

[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Looks like I'll have to answer my own question, although there's
> nothing that says it will be ESP compatible and Shimano compatibility
> might be more marketable:
>
> http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/8753.0.html
>
> It will be interesting to see whether the SRAM shifters incorporate
> the things that make Campy superior- reliability and reparability. It
> looks like all the cables are hidden like Campy.

Cool pic...I wonder what the cable release mechanism is? The front lever
doesn't appear to have a second axis, and I don't see a Ergo/Sora type
button. I wonder if it's like the Shimano Dual Control MTB levers, where
you pull the same lever in the opposite direction, but that would be much
harder to do with the brake lever in front of it.

Waitasec...maybe the entire plastic area in front of the hoods pivots...
that plane is pretty flat.

The brakes look pretty funky, too.

In article <[email protected]>,
Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > Looks like I'll have to answer my own question, although there's
> > nothing that says it will be ESP compatible and Shimano compatibility
> > might be more marketable:
> >
> > http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/8753.0.html
> >
> > It will be interesting to see whether the SRAM shifters incorporate
> > the things that make Campy superior- reliability and reparability. It
> > looks like all the cables are hidden like Campy.
> >

> Cool pic...I wonder what the cable release mechanism is? The front lever
> doesn't appear to have a second axis, and I don't see a Ergo/Sora type
> button. I wonder if it's like the Shimano Dual Control MTB levers, where
> you pull the same lever in the opposite direction, but that would be much
> harder to do with the brake lever in front of it.
>
> Waitasec...maybe the entire plastic area in front of the hoods pivots...
> that plane is pretty flat.
>
> The brakes look pretty funky, too.

The brakes are boring old Zero Gravity brakes:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/zero-gravity-fir
st-impression

185g/pr, yours for only $355/set

Friction shifting will certainly work. I have just such a setup on one
of my bikes (Suntour Vx finally wore out last year). The shifter takes
about 150 degrees from top to bottom of a 6 speed free wheel. It takes
a bit of getting used to as you have to move the lever further between
gears, but otherwise works well.

Andrew Webster