Sram force shifting problems

Evilbofh

Nov 26, 2009
I have 2 bike one with Sram rival (model 2007) and one with Sram Force (model 2009). The rival bike has always been a dream and never had any issues but the bike with force is very touchy and and I have had major shifting problems with it.

Keeping the shifting true is almost impossible and it requires frequent tweaking. Shifting to the lowest rear gears (the biggest cogs) can at time require quite a bit of effort.

My question is doesn't anyone else suffer from this? Is the most likly cause the rear derailleur could it be the shifter?

I know that I could swap the rear derailleur over form my bike to test this but it would be nice if anyone else has had any simular problems.

Check rear derailleur adjustment+cable tension, then check chain length. It's usually not the shifter.

Originally Posted by Evilbofh .

I have 2 bike one with Sram rival (model 2007) and one with Sram Force (model 2009). The rival bike has always been a dream and never had any issues but the bike with force is very touchy and and I have had major shifting problems with it.

Keeping the shifting true is almost impossible and it requires frequent tweaking. Shifting to the lowest rear gears (the biggest cogs) can at time require quite a bit of effort.

My question is doesn't anyone else suffer from this? Is the most likly cause the rear derailleur could it be the shifter?

I know that I could swap the rear derailleur over form my bike to test this but it would be nice if anyone else has had any simular problems.
Try a new high quality inner wire and 5mm lined housing, make sure the under BB guide is clean and the length at the RD is long enough. Sram can be finicky plus I have warrantied 2 levers that just didn't work.

Originally Posted by Peter@vecchios .

Try a new high quality inner wire and 5mm lined housing, make sure the under BB guide is clean and the length at the RD is long enough. Sram can be finicky plus I have warrantied 2 levers that just didn't work.

did you warranty thought the shop you purchased your shifters or did you go directly to sram?

Peter owns a shop.

I have 3,600+ miles on a 2009 Force gruppo that I installed new earlier this season. Still shifting crisp and smooth as day one. Last weekend had a "mountain" century so swapped out my standard 11-23 cassette for an 11-28 (both 1070 sram). B screw adjust was all that was required to retain shift quality. Back to 23 this week with no problems. Also run an "aero" wheelset with Sram red 11-23 cassette with frequent wheel swaps and no issues no matter which wheelset is fitted. My Force has been great.

Maybe check for big enough rear loop to ease friction in addition to other suggestions. Good luck!

did you warranty thought the shop you purchased your shifters or did you go directly to sram?

Originally Posted by Peter@vecchios .
This is good advice /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Sounds like shifter, cable tension, or cable sticking issues.

So, before doing the above, an easy way to test this is to use the Sram Rival shifter and cable you have on your bike with Rival gear, with your Force RD on the bike with troublesome Force gear. If the Rival shifter/cable works well with the Force RD/cassette then the problem is with the Force shifter/cable otherwise it is with the Force RD/cassette /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Let us know the results!

Actually even easier is to try the Force RD on the bike with Rival gear and if that works ok then the problem is with the Force shifter/cable /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

It could be something silly like using the wrong ferrule where the outer cable stops against the bottom of the right chainstay. Either there was a special one that came with the frame but wasn't installed or the outer cable has a rough cut or has split under the ferrule 'sheath'.

Must use a shop and I am a shop.

http://www.vecchios.com

I got my LBS to replace the cables, cable casings and the chain and now it is lot bettor but still not what I expect to be good, i.e.not quite a good as my rival shifters it is still "hard" to shift up...

I will do the swap the real
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]derailleur[/COLOR] to see if things get bettor, I hope I time to manage to test this before the first snow....

If you live in VT or NH too late. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Sorry to hear you are still having difficulty with your mechanicals. Unless your Force rear RD is bent or damaged, you shouldn't see a lot of difference between it and your Rival RD - spring tension is similar for both. Hope you get it sorted soon - did you discuss warranty with your LBS?

I got my LBS to replace the cables, cable casings and the chain and now it is lot bettor but still not what I expect to be good, i.e.not quite a good as my rival shifters it is still "hard" to shift up...

I will do the swap the real
derailleur to see if things get bettor, [COLOR= #ff0000]I hope I time to manage to test this before the first snow....[/COLOR]