SRAM Force trim

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
Can't seem to find a clear response (SRAM Force):
For double cranks, is there trimming available on both chainrings?
Is SRAM Force equivalent to Ultegra or Dura-Ace?

Thanks!

rparedes said:
Can't seem to find a clear response (SRAM Force):
For double cranks, is there trimming available on both chainrings?
Is SRAM Force equivalent to Ultegra or Dura-Ace?

Thanks!

Yes, trim on the FD, samo for Rival and Red, but trim on the big ring ONLY, wee bit inward for no rub in bigger cogs.. 'Equivalent' in price but not in terms of function or reliabiltiy.

Peter@vecchios said:
Yes, trim on the FD, same for Rival and Red, but trim on the big ring ONLY, wee bit inward for no rub in bigger cogs.. 'Equivalent' in price but not in terms of function or reliabiltiy.
I recently switched from Ultegra to Rival and agree with the above, although I can't speak to reliability.

Their trim setup seems quite odd to me. My Rival bike does not need trim on the big ring, I can cross-chain completely with no rub. But on the small ring, I get rub on the 3 smallest rear cogs. Is this just my lack of experience in adjusting SRAM, a chainline issue, or is there some logic that I am missing on the SRAM no trim on small ring approach?

byte_speed said:
I recently switched from Ultegra to Rival and agree with the above, although I can't speak to reliability.

Their trim setup seems quite odd to me. My Rival bike does not need trim on the big ring, I can cross-chain completely with no rub. But on the small ring, I get rub on the 3 smallest rear cogs. Is this just my lack of experience in adjusting SRAM, a chainline issue, or is there some logic that I am missing on the SRAM no trim on small ring approach?

That's what I want to understand... the whole story about FD trim on SRAM... I can't get a complete picture. I test rode (parking lot) a SRAM force bike but it did not have any FD trim.. I guess it was an older model? or maybe I just did not know how... The LBS guy said it's supposed to be like that. :confused: I don't buy the " you are not supposed to cross chain".
yeah, I know , but my Shimano 105 and Ultegra bikes don't do that in any gear combo... so what's the deal?

Also: are SRAM shifters rebuildable?

rparedes said:
That's what I want to understand... the whole story about FD trim on SRAM... I can't get a complete picture. I test rode (parking lot) a SRAM force bike but it did not have any FD trim.. I guess it was an older model? or maybe I just did not know how... The LBS guy said it's supposed to be like that. :confused: I don't buy the " you are not supposed to cross chain".
yeah, I know , but my Shimano 105 and Ultegra bikes don't do that in any gear combo... so what's the deal?

Also: are SRAM shifters rebuildable?

Older sram were not trim-able, 2009 levers(all of them) do have trim in the big ring only.

Yes, you can them apart but there really aren't any small parts available from sram. If something breaks and you call sram, they just send a new lever. Really good customer service but see too many break in the first place.