SRAM Gearing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by climber_80, Apr 14, 2011.

1. climber_80

climber_80 New Member

Hi there,

I've been riding Shimano Geared Bikes for awhile and recently decided to switch to SRAM. Shimano was pretty quiet, no big noises or rattling.

Now with SRAM its a bit different. I just think it makes to much noises so im kinda unsure if its me and i don't know how to adjust SRAM or SRAM is much louder. Does anybody have any experience with both gearing?

Thanks,
    André

Tags:

2. tafi

tafi Member

SRAM is generally more noisy than the others. It was so at the begining and SRAM have worked hard on their chains and cassettes to try to improve matters. I have no idea how far they've gotten, because those I know who love and use SRAM also use Shimano Cassettes and chains (and sometimes chainrings too).

3. overgeared

overgeared New Member

interesting, anything to do with the failures of SRAM chains seen in a couple of pro races i've watched?

4. rparedes

rparedes New Member

SRAM cassettes are noisier than Shimano, especially the ones that have the "one tooth missing"; PG70?. I think

5. sitzmark

sitzmark Member

OG (Open Glide) is the Sram's "missing tooth" technology. Now only found on the Red 1090 cassette. The OG-1070 cassettes have been discontinued. PG (Power Glide - no missing teeth) is the only current below-Red level technology.

There was a very confusing time when the PG-1070 was available with and without the missing tooth design. For the most part those are gone unless you can find NOS somewhere.

My experience is that the 1090 cassette is "noisier" ... not so much because of the missing teeth, but because it is a "hollow cone" and tends to echo shifts and chain mismatches. Alignment is important. I run a 1090 on one wheelset and OG-1070s on another. If they aren't carefully matched for alignment, there is more noise from one or both. Also as the chain (1090R) wears the system can get a little louder. When all cassettes and chain are new and aligned, the only noticeable noise is the "clink echo" during shifting with the 1090 cassette..

6. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I've been using SRAM chains and SRAM PG970 cassettes with my Shimano 105 9-speed drivetrain for several years now and I haven't noticed any more noise from them than from the original Shimano chain and cassette. They seem to be about the same, both pretty quiet, in my situation.