SRAM link on Shimano HG??

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joel Rose

I just purchased a SRAM Power Link Gold link for use with a Shimano HG 9 speed chain for ease of
removal and cleaning,etc. Upon reading the fine print on the package, it states DO NOT attempt to
use on chains other than SRAM - it says that the chain will fail. Should I be nervous to use this
product or is this their ploy to get you to buy one of their suggested chains??

Thanks for any advice,

Joel

"Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just purchased a SRAM Power Link Gold link for use with a Shimano HG 9 speed chain for ease of
> removal and cleaning,etc. Upon reading the fine print on the package, it states DO NOT attempt to
> use on chains other than SRAM - it says that the chain will fail. Should I be nervous to use this
> product or is this their ploy to get you to buy one of their suggested chains??
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Joel

They're just covering their asses. It should be fine, I've seen a few myself, and I'm planing on
doing it on my new bike.

Jon Bond

I've been using these on my tandem, mountain, road and touring bikes for several years with no
failures. Shimano or Sram chain makes no difference. One of the local purists with Shomano chais
wasn't convinced a couple of years back however I've learned that after moving to another area he's
now a Power Link fan. Charlie

Thanks. "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:SHVza.714309$OV.662370@rwcrnsc54...
> "Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I just purchased a SRAM Power Link Gold link for use with a Shimano HG 9 speed chain for ease of
> > removal and cleaning,etc. Upon reading the fine print on the package, it states DO NOT attempt
> > to use on chains other
than
> > SRAM - it says that the chain will fail. Should I be nervous to use this product or is this
> > their ploy to get you to buy one of their suggested chains??
> >
> > Thanks for any advice,
> >
> > Joel
>
> They're just covering their asses. It should be fine, I've seen a few myself, and I'm planing on
> doing it on my new bike.
>
> Jon Bond

That's just a bunch of Japanese bull. Shimano has been predicting disaster if anything other than
Shimano is used on any of their products for years.

I've hapilly been using the Craig Super link for decades on all sorts of Shimano (and other brands)
chains without a single problem. Ever.

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in news:9358-
[email protected]:
> That's just a bunch of Japanese bull. Shimano has been predicting disaster if anything other than
> Shimano is used on any of their products for years.

Are you saying the Shimano told SRAM what to print on the SRAM labels? SRAM is based in Chicago.

"Joel Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just purchased a SRAM Power Link Gold link for use with a Shimano HG 9 speed chain for ease of
> removal and cleaning,etc. Upon reading the fine print on the package, it states DO NOT attempt to
> use on chains other than SRAM - it says that the chain will fail. Should I be nervous to use this
> product or is this their ploy to get you to buy one of their suggested chains??
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Joel
>

Works great, but carry a spare link. I have had one break. It was on a SRAM chain. I keep an old one
in my seat bag just in case and last summer on the Blue Ridge Parkway it saved my day. Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.