SRAM OG 1070 cassette Question

NZLcyclist

Sep 27, 2006
Hi,

recently had an FSA Energy Compact crankset installed on my bike. I put a new Ultegra 10sp chain on, and a 12-23 Ultegra cassette. Worked flawlessly! Beautiful!

I then installed a 12-26 SRAM OG cassette, for a pending hill adventure of a mere 200km. It is noisy, shifts bad, and clicks in 5th onwards. Am I missing something here or is it not as compatible as it is meant to be? The cogs are around the correct way, it's as fine tuned as it has EVER been. It works sweet the moment I put a wheel with a Shimano cassette on. :S

The specs say that a SRAM chain is recommended, but should it make that much of a difference?

Help please, 6 days before the race and I'd like to sort something if I can :S

Cheers,
Brendon

My race bike has a set of K-Force cranks, the chain is either Dura Ace or KMC (depending on what I put on). I've got a few sets of wheels all with 1070 cassettes on them (either 11-26 or 11-23) with the exception of a set of training wheels that have a 10sp only freehub body, which forces me to use a Shimano cassette (Ultegra).

Shifting is flawless across all of them. Personally I think the shifting is marginally crisper on the 1070 cassettes but ultimately if I had to pick it blindfolded could I? Probably not.

You've noted the Ultegra chain and cassette are new. Is the SRAM cassette also new? The problem you've described is something you'd generally expect to see with a new chain on a worn cassette.

--brett

NZLcyclist said:
I then installed a 12-26 SRAM OG cassette, for a pending hill adventure of a mere 200km. It is noisy, shifts bad, and clicks in 5th onwards. Am I missing something here or is it not as compatible as it is meant to be?
Did you readjust the RD stops and/or shifting cable? There may be very small (<1mm) differences in the start position of the cassette stack between the brands, which may explain your situation.

n