SRAM PC-99 vs. SRAM PC-99 Hollow Pin (Weight Weinie Question)

Cletus D . Lee

Guest
I see that I can save a whole 40 grams of weight on a Recumbent length chain be going to the Hollow
Pin Version. Is Anyone using this lighter chain? Any known negatives? What real advantage does this
chain have over the std PC-99? (besides 1.5 oz.). My current PC-99 chain weighs
22.3 oz. Will I benefit any by going to a 21 oz. chain?

- Bellaire, TX USA -

You mean benefit mentally or performance wise. I think the main benefit is to SRAM. Actually I'm not
disparaging your question. As a closet WW, oops I mean ww, smaller case is lighter I've considered
the same chain, especially after riding my DF and realizing how much more agile the I think it was
Earl the Bent Brat that posted a bunch of weight saving parts a few months back and I printed it and
still reference it. I think the PC-99H was on that list. Here's a ti chain that saves an additional
41 (270gms for PC99H, 229 for ti) so for three it's a total of @240 vs std chain. Costs a bit more
though ($275) http://www.vikinginternational.com/specs.htm You know every little bit adds up but
when I'm about to spend $100 to save 120gms I realize a good dump will save that much, maybe even
more, for free ;-) bill g

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote:

> I see that I can save a whole 40 grams of weight on a Recumbent length chain be going to the
> Hollow Pin Version. Is Anyone using this lighter chain? Any known negatives? What real advantage
> does this chain have over the std PC-99? (besides 1.5 oz.). My current PC-99 chain weighs
> 22.3 oz. Will I benefit any by going to a 21 oz. chain?

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

If you are building a "bent on speed" model then go for the weight reduction...if you have the
wallet for it. If you running panniers, a rear rack and carrying a Park Pro Mechanic tool set with
you....Whats the point?
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> You mean benefit mentally or performance wise. I think the main benefit is to SRAM. Actually I'm
> not disparaging your question. As a closet WW, oops I mean ww, smaller case is lighter I've
> considered the same chain, especially after riding my DF and realizing how much more agile the I
> think it was Earl the Bent Brat that posted a bunch of weight saving parts a few months back and I
> printed it and still reference it. I think the PC-99H was on that list. Here's a ti chain that
> saves an additional 41 (270gms for PC99H, 229 for ti) so for three it's a total of @240 vs std
> chain. Costs a bit more though ($275) http://www.vikinginternational.com/specs.htm You know every
> little bit adds up but when I'm about to spend $100 to save 120gms I realize a good dump will save
> that much, maybe even more, for free ;-) bill g
>
> "Cletus D. Lee" wrote:
>
> > I see that I can save a whole 40 grams of weight on a Recumbent length chain be going to the
> > Hollow Pin Version. Is Anyone using this lighter chain? Any known negatives? What real advantage
> > does this chain have over the std PC-99? (besides 1.5 oz.). My current PC-99 chain weighs
> > 22.3 oz. Will I benefit any by going to a 21 oz. chain?
> >
> > --
> > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
> > - Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus, Earl's list bill g

Earl The Bent Brat wrote:

> Hello: why don't you wait a month or two and get the hed 3D disc rear wheel,
it will
> give you less rolling resitance than the 3 spoke. chain, upgrade to sram pc-99 cassette, to dura
> ace 12-27 alloy chainring bolts sram XO-re der long cage sram 9.0sl halfpipe shifters dura ace
> ft triple der all gortex cables and housing eggbeaters are a good choice sram 9.0sl brake levers
> or XTR victoria corsa cx re tire schwalbe stelvio ft tire with these changes you will have one
> of the lightest and fastest GRR
TI's in