SRAM PC-99 vs. SRAM PC-99 Hollow Pin (Weight Weinie Question)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Cletus D . Lee, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. I see that I can save a whole 40 grams of weight on a Recumbent length chain be going to the Hollow
    Pin Version. Is Anyone using this lighter chain? Any known negatives? What real advantage does this
    chain have over the std PC-99? (besides 1.5 oz.). My current PC-99 chain weighs
    22.3 oz. Will I benefit any by going to a 21 oz. chain?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

    Tags:

  2. Bg

    Bg Guest

    You mean benefit mentally or performance wise. I think the main benefit is to SRAM. Actually I'm not
    disparaging your question. As a closet WW, oops I mean ww, smaller case is lighter I've considered
    the same chain, especially after riding my DF and realizing how much more agile the I think it was
    Earl the Bent Brat that posted a bunch of weight saving parts a few months back and I printed it and
    still reference it. I think the PC-99H was on that list. Here's a ti chain that saves an additional
    41 (270gms for PC99H, 229 for ti) so for three it's a total of @240 vs std chain. Costs a bit more
    though ($275) http://www.vikinginternational.com/specs.htm You know every little bit adds up but
    when I'm about to spend $100 to save 120gms I realize a good dump will save that much, maybe even
    more, for free ;-) bill g

    "Cletus D. Lee" wrote:

    > I see that I can save a whole 40 grams of weight on a Recumbent length chain be going to the
    > Hollow Pin Version. Is Anyone using this lighter chain? Any known negatives? What real advantage
    > does this chain have over the std PC-99? (besides 1.5 oz.). My current PC-99 chain weighs
    > 22.3 oz. Will I benefit any by going to a 21 oz. chain?

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. If you are building a "bent on speed" model then go for the weight reduction...if you have the
    wallet for it. If you running panniers, a rear rack and carrying a Park Pro Mechanic tool set with
    you....Whats the point?
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > You mean benefit mentally or performance wise. I think the main benefit is to SRAM. Actually I'm
    > not disparaging your question. As a closet WW, oops I mean ww, smaller case is lighter I've
    > considered the same chain, especially after riding my DF and realizing how much more agile the I
    > think it was Earl the Bent Brat that posted a bunch of weight saving parts a few months back and I
    > printed it and still reference it. I think the PC-99H was on that list. Here's a ti chain that
    > saves an additional 41 (270gms for PC99H, 229 for ti) so for three it's a total of @240 vs std
    > chain. Costs a bit more though ($275) http://www.vikinginternational.com/specs.htm You know every
    > little bit adds up but when I'm about to spend $100 to save 120gms I realize a good dump will save
    > that much, maybe even more, for free ;-) bill g
    >
    > "Cletus D. Lee" wrote:
    >
    > > I see that I can save a whole 40 grams of weight on a Recumbent length chain be going to the
    > > Hollow Pin Version. Is Anyone using this lighter chain? Any known negatives? What real advantage
    > > does this chain have over the std PC-99? (besides 1.5 oz.). My current PC-99 chain weighs
    > > 22.3 oz. Will I benefit any by going to a 21 oz. chain?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    > > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Bg

    Bg Guest

    Cletus, Earl's list bill g

    Earl The Bent Brat wrote:

    > Hello: why don't you wait a month or two and get the hed 3D disc rear wheel,
    it will
    > give you less rolling resitance than the 3 spoke. chain, upgrade to sram pc-99 cassette, to dura
    > ace 12-27 alloy chainring bolts sram XO-re der long cage sram 9.0sl halfpipe shifters dura ace
    > ft triple der all gortex cables and housing eggbeaters are a good choice sram 9.0sl brake levers
    > or XTR victoria corsa cx re tire schwalbe stelvio ft tire with these changes you will have one
    > of the lightest and fastest GRR
    TI's in