SRAM PC48 on a 9 speed cassette?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by J, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. J

    J Guest

    I've just cleaned my bike for the first time since it came back from the
    bike shop after being 'fixed'. They changed the cassette and chain, and
    when cleaning it I noticed it was a SRAM PC48 change (it was some kind
    of shimano one before). I've just looked it up and it's supposed to be a
    7/8 speed chain.

    It seems to be working fine, but will it continue to be OK? I'm taking
    the bike abroad on holiday in a weeks time and don't want a failure
    whilst I'm away. Is it worth kicking up a fuss in the shop?

    Any advice would be gratefully received!

    Thanks

    John

    Tags:

  2. bin

    bin Guest

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:53:43 +0000, J wrote:

    > I've just cleaned my bike for the first time since it came back from the

    [snip]

    No, it should have a 9 speed chain. The Sram is a good chain. It's
    probably working ok because everything is new. But the cassette needs a
    thinner chain to clear the smaller distance between the cogs. It will
    probably continue to change gear ok but will eventually tend to either
    derail to a smaller cog or click, click, click against a bigger cog.

    But get a Sram 9 speed as they are considered better than Shimano's effort
    and they are cheaper, too.

    Enjoy your holiday

    Bin

  3. J

    J Guest

    bin wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:53:43 +0000, J wrote:
    >

    >>I've just cleaned my bike for the first time since it came back from the

    > [snip]
    >
    > No, it should have a 9 speed chain. The Sram is a good chain. It's
    > probably working ok because everything is new. But the cassette needs a
    > thinner chain to clear the smaller distance between the cogs. It will
    > probably continue to change gear ok but will eventually tend to either
    > derail to a smaller cog or click, click, click against a bigger cog.
    >
    > But get a Sram 9 speed as they are considered better than Shimano's effort
    > and they are cheaper, too.
    >
    > Enjoy your holiday
    >
    > Bin

    Thanks, I phoned the shop and they said they'd swap it, took it down and
    they did it in about 15 minutes. They swapped it for a SRAM 59.

    John.

  4. On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:53:43 GMT, J <[email protected]> wrote in
    message <[email protected]>:

    >I noticed it was a SRAM PC48 change (it was some kind
    >of shimano one before). I've just looked it up and it's supposed to be a
    > 7/8 speed chain.

    I use PC69. 9-speed chains are narrower, you have the wrong chain.
    Yes, it should be changed, otherwise you could have problems shifting.

    Sram 9-speed chains are, IMO, better than Shimano, in that you don't
    need the special pins if you ever break them apart. Sram Powerlink
    chains are my preference.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  5. On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:25:44 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:53:43 GMT, J <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>I noticed it was a SRAM PC48 change (it was some kind
    >>of shimano one before). I've just looked it up and it's supposed to be a
    >> 7/8 speed chain.

    >I use PC69. 9-speed chains are narrower, you have the wrong chain.
    >Yes, it should be changed, otherwise you could have problems shifting.

    I have just looked on wiggle and it looks as if the PC59 and PC69 have
    been replaced by and range of PC-89 and PC99 chains. Is it worth
    spending upto almost £40 on a chain?

    I have always felt personnally the the £12-15 for the PC-59 was my
    upper limit when it came to, what is essentially, a disposable item.

    John "One more spare PC-59 left in the shed" Tomlinson

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    John Tomlinson wrote:

    > I have just looked on wiggle and it looks as if the PC59 and PC69 have
    > been replaced by and range of PC-89 and PC99 chains. Is it worth
    > spending upto almost £40 on a chain?
    >
    > I have always felt personnally the the £12-15 for the PC-59 was my
    > upper limit when it came to, what is essentially, a disposable item.

    Go for the cheap one. You can spend a lot of money on fancy chains and
    fancy lubricants where a cheap chain thrown away more often will be much
    cheaper. YMMV

    Tony

  7. Neil Hardman

    Neil Hardman Guest

    "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:25:44 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:53:43 GMT, J <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>message <[email protected]>:
    >>
    >>>I noticed it was a SRAM PC48 change (it was some kind
    >>>of shimano one before). I've just looked it up and it's supposed to be a
    >>> 7/8 speed chain.

    >>I use PC69. 9-speed chains are narrower, you have the wrong chain.
    >>Yes, it should be changed, otherwise you could have problems shifting.
    >>

    > I have just looked on wiggle and it looks as if the PC59 and PC69 have
    > been replaced by and range of PC-89 and PC99 chains. Is it worth
    > spending upto almost £40 on a chain?
    >
    > I have always felt personnally the the £12-15 for the PC-59 was my
    > upper limit when it came to, what is essentially, a disposable item.
    >
    > John "One more spare PC-59 left in the shed" Tomlinson

    A quick read on settle cycles site http://www.settle-cycles.co.uk/shop/
    reveals that the PC950 is the replacement for the SRAM PC59. Both settle
    and Wiggle sell it for £9.99 excluding P+P

    Neil

  8. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Cant say I feel too sympathetic, you should see the daft prices we're expected to pay for them in aus :p IIRC a PC59 is £8, PC69 is double that and a PC89 is close as well, all from probikekit.com in the uk, i picked up a couple for the shelf at that price.

    till

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    John Tomlinson wrote:
    > I have just looked on wiggle and it looks as if the PC59 and PC69 have
    > been replaced by and range of PC-89 and PC99 chains. Is it worth
    > spending upto almost £40 on a chain?
    >
    > I have always felt personnally the the £12-15 for the PC-59 was my
    > upper limit when it came to, what is essentially, a disposable item.
    >
    > John "One more spare PC-59 left in the shed" Tomlinson

    Parker International and Chain Reaction still sell PC59.

    ~PB

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Neil Hardman wrote:

    > A quick read on settle cycles site
    > http://www.settle-cycles.co.uk/shop/ reveals that the PC950 is the
    > replacement for the SRAM PC59. Both settle and Wiggle sell it for
    > £9.99 excluding P+P

    Thanks for posting the info, I didn't know about the new model.

    BTW, Wiggle have a free post option and Settle's postage is free for any
    £10+ order. Chain Reaction also don't charge extra for postage.

    ~PB